Alcester, St Nicholas, Warwickshire

Alcester

Bells: 8; 12-2-13 in F#
Grid Reference: 150/091574
Postcode: B49 5AJ
District Warwick
Peals Felstead Database
Practice Night: Thursday 7:45pm-9:00pm  (Except 1st Thursday)
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: The Holly Bush 37 Henley Street, Alcester, Warwickshire B49 5QX Tel: 01789 762482
The Turks Head, 4 High Street, Alcester, Warwickshire B49 5AD Tel: 01789 765948
The Three Tuns, 34 High Street, Alcester, Warwickshire B49 5AB. Tel: 01789 508255
Contact: Mr E.Payne 3 Sherwell Drive, Alcester, B49 5HA Click to Email

History

Set in a pleasant small town in South-West Warwickshire this is a church that is worth spending some time viewing. The clock face is unusually positioned on the tower. The bells are a nice ring of 8, effectively a completely new ring installed by Taylors in 1948, tenor 41.125".

The mediaeval tower and the five bells which it contained were left untouched when the body of the church was rebuilt in 1729-1733. The recasting of the bells followed soon afterwards, however, and in 1735 Abraham Rudhall II supplied a new ring of six for the church. The weight of the tenor bell is given in the Rudhall catalogue as 10 cwt., and when it was taken down for recasting in November 1947 the bell was found to weigh 9cwt 3qrs 20 lbs. The inscriptions of the Rudhall bells were reproduced in facsimile on the six largest bells of the new ring. The bells are named St. George, Peace, Unity, Concord, Faith, Hope, Charity and St. Nicholas.

The entrance is from inside the church.  There is plenty of on-street parking nearby. 

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-0-17 26.00" 1467.0Hz (F#-16c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-1-14 26.625" 1381.0Hz (E#-20c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 4-2-24 28.00" 1229.0Hz (D#-22c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 5-1-17 30.00" 1101.0Hz (C#-12c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 6-0-26 32.125" 977.0Hz (B-19c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 7-0-23 33.50" 923.0Hz (A#-17c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 9-1-21 37.00" 824.0Hz G#-14c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 12-2-13 41.125" 733.0Hz (F#-16c)

 

Alderminster, St Mary & Holy Cross, Warwickshire

Alderminster Bells: 6; 12-0-26 in F
Grid Reference: 151/230486
Postcode: CV37 8PF
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub The Bell, Alderminster, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8NY Tel: 01789 450414
Contact: Jane Jones (Churchwarden), Tithe Meadow, Alderminster, Stratford upon Avon, CV378NY. Tel: 01789 450672 Click to Email
The Revd C M Vickers, The Vicarage, Old Warwick Road, Ettington, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7SH Tel: 01789 748137

History

This is a central towered church on the main road through the village. The bells are rung from a ringing chamber with quite a low ceiling and are very loud inside. They go quite well. The 6-bell frame is believed to be by Alfred White in 1870, though the treble pit initially remained empty. The fittings are by Taylors in 1939 when the treble was finally added. The treble is flat headed, the fifth has had its canons removed and the rest have metal headstocks with a wooden pad between it and the canons. The back 5 have all been one-eighted turned.

There is a car park beside the church, to the left as you look from the main road, and the outside entrance can be seen from it. The village was transferred to Warwickshire from Worcestershire in 1931.  

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1939 4-1-21 28.00" 1196.0Hz (D+31c)
2 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1714 5-2-12 30.25" 1067.0Hz (C+34c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1653 5-3-18 31.875" 950.0Hz (Bb+33)
4 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1658 7-2-21 35.375" 897.0Hz (A+33c)
5 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1716 9-1-17 37.75" 799.0Hz (G+33c)
6 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1676 12-0-26 41.75" 712.0Hz (F+33c)

 

Allesley, All Saints, West Midlands

Allesley Bells: 8; 12-0-0 in G#
Grid Reference: 140/302806
Postcode: CV5 9ES
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording: - before restoration
- after restoration
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: 9:30am - 10:00am & 5:30pm - 6:00pm
Recommended Pub The Rainbow, 73 Birmingham Rd, Allesley, Coventry CV5 9GT Phone: 024 7640 7957
Contacts: Mrs L Grove 22 Wingrave Close, Allesley, Coventry CV5 9BT
Dr I D Thompson 63 St Martins Road, Finham, Coventry CV3 6FD Click to Email

History

On the North West edge of Coventry this is a pleasant village that is just separate from the city itself. Of Norman origin, the church has been much altered, a major restoration taking place in mid-Victorian times. There is plenty of parking behind the church, up the small road, Rectory Road, opposite "The Rainbow", a pub that is the ringers' "apres ring" venue.

There are 8 bells - the 8¼cwt anticlockwise 5 being completely rehung clockwise and augmented by adding a tenor and recasting the (15th Century!) 3rd in 1901; two trebles being added to complete the octave in 1946/7, at which time the existing 6 bells were rehung on ball bearings using the original headstocks. The "new" trebles occupy the pits for the existing trebles; these being hung in two parallel "lowside" pits installed above the original frame. The bells were cast in late 1946 and hung in 1947.

During 2011 replacement bells for the tonally weak third and fourth were installed.  The existing third was been sold to the Keltek Trust and bellhanger Matthew Higby hung it as the treble of five at Little Bedwyn at Easter 2014. The fourth has been hung dead as a service bell in the upper level of the frame. In November 2016 the tonally weak 6th bell was replaced by a bell that was rescued by the Keltek Trust and Taylors from the redundant church of Holy Trinity, Bury.  The previous bell is intended to become a clock bell in the near future.

Entrance is by an outside door on the south side of the tower. Remember to duck if you are tall!

The frequency of the tenor has been measured and it equates to G#-47c and therefore the ring is in G# and not G as has always previously been stated.

Details of the bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-0-23 23.50" 1619.5Hz (G#-45c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-2-00 24.50" 1529.5Hz (Fx-44c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-1-21 25.50" 1358.0Hz (E#-49c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2011 3-3-21 26.875" 1214.0Hz (D#-43c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1901 5-0-27 30.00" 1077.5Hz (C#-49c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughbrough 1907 6-2-13 32.50" 1019.7Hz (B#-45c)
7 Newcombe, Leicester 1610 8-0-21 35.75" 906.5Hz (A#-49c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1901 12-0-00 40.75" 808.5Hz (G#-47c)
Service Thomas Newcombe, Leicester 1580 3-3-08 26.50" 1202.5Hz (D#-59c)
Clock Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1708 5-3-27 32.00" 1016.5Hz (B#-51c)
Prev. 3rd Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1708 3-0-15 25.50" 1357.0Hz (E#-50c)

 

Alveston, St James, Warwickshire

Alveston Bells: 6; 7½cwt in A
Grid Reference: 151/232563
Postcode: CV37 7QJ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Not Known
Recommended Pub The Ferry,Ferry Lane, Alveston, Warwickshire, CV37 7QX Tel: 01789 269883
Contacts: Julia Lucas, Baracot, Wellesbourne Road, Alveston, Stratford-upon-Avon,  Warks, CV37 7RQ. Tel: 01789 299577 Click to Email

History

This church is set in a lovely rural location just outside Stratford upon Avon. There has been a sympathetic restoration project in the recent past that has made the bells no longer a trip up a vertical ladder to ring! The three largest bells originally hung in the tower of the old church at Alveston and they were transferred to the present building in 1839. The frame is based on a cast iron H-frame by Barwell, installed when the bells were augmented to four by them in 1912. It was was extended by Taylors at the 1965 augmentation. They used lowside frames on the same level as the Barwell frame. The 5th cracked in 1977 and was welded by Soundweld in 1980.

The 20th century bells were cast flat headed and the canons have been removed from the older bells. The back four retain their Barwell fittings, the two trebles having contemporary Taylor fittings. They are a pleasant ring of 6 that the local ringers have stated in the past that they would like to augment to a heavier 8, though tower considerations might make this difficult. Nothing has been heard about this proposal in recent times.

Parking is to be made carefully on the road in front of the church

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1965 3-0-20 24.375" 1476.0Hz (F#-5c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1965 3-2-22 26.00" 1317.0Hz (E-2c)
3 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1912 4cwt 28.25" 1163.0Hz (D-17c)
4 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1658 5¼cwt 30.50" 1103.0Hz (C#-9c)
5 Henry Farmer, Gloucester 1616 6-2-20 32.75" 980.0Hz (B-14c)
6 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1729 7½cwt 36.50" 882.0Hz (A+4c)

 

Ansley, St Lawrence, Warwickshire

Ansley Bells: 6; 8-1-4 in G#
Grid Reference: 140/290926
Postcode: CV10 0QR
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:45pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:40am
Recommended Pub: The Admiral Lord Nelson, Birmingham Rd, Ansley, Nuneaton CV10 9PQ. Tel:024 7639 2305
(Opposite end of the village to the church, at the junction with Nuthurst Crescent).
Contact: Mr A Truelove, Merry Brook Cottage, Hood Lane, Ansley, Nuneaton CV10 9ND

History

The village of Ansley moved about a mile away from the church when the plague struck Warwickshire, (you can s till see traces of the buildings from the air) and therefore don't look in the present village for it! It is in Church End to the North West of the village at the junction of the B4112 and B4114. Notice the number of differing roof levels.

Formerly a ring of 3 these bells were rehung and augmented to 6 in 1976/7 and are a pleasant ring of 6 in good condition. The old frame is still in situ above the new one. It is a tall frame made of oak, consisting of cills, main braces, king posts, corner posts, and long frame heads. The old bells have had their canons removed, the trebles cast flat headed. The new frame is a composite "lowside" frame, with steel cills and frameheads with intermediate cast iron braces

Entrance is from inside the church via the south door. Make sure that you are told the combination for the alarm system if you are given a key to let yourself in! There is a car park on the south side of the church.

Please note that the church's website states that the dedication is "St Laurence" - this is not correct according to the Diocesan website and also Crockford's.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1976 3-0-24 25.00" 1368.0Hz (E#-36c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1976 4-0-04 27.00" 1220.0Hz (D#-34c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1976 4-3-11 29.00" 1086.0Hz (C#-36c)
4 Thomas Newcombe II, Leicester c.1580 5-2-03 31.375" 1026.0Hz (B#-34c)
5 George Oldfield I, Nottingham 1669 6-0-21 34.125" 915.0Hz (A#-32c)
6 Robert, Thomas & William Newcombe, Leicester 1609 8-1-04 37.25" 814.0Hz (G#-35c)

 

Arley, St Wilfred, Warwickshire

Arley Bells: 6; 7-0-12 in Ab (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/283906
Postcode: CV7 8RD
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None 
Recommended Pub: Wagon Load of Lime, Ansley Lane, Arley, CV7 8FU Tel: 01676 540831
Contact: Revd Peter Allen 024 7639 9070

History

One of many nice villages near to Coventry. The church is on the main road in OLD ARLEY, there being no ring of bells in New Arley. A nice compact church where you ring from the ground floor behind the organ.

The H frame and fittings are by Taylor, 1929 - but the back three are fitted with wooden stocks and not cast iron ones as are the trebles. The three old bells retain their canons, the trebles being cast flat headed. The tenor has been long said to be in the key of Ab, but is actually A-12c

Entrance is through the main door on the south side of the church. There is some parking just below the church on the south side in a grassed area, plus careful parking on the road by the church.

Details of the bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1929 2-3-14 23.50" 1468.0Hz (F#-14c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1929 3-0-14 25.00" 1309.5Hz (E-12c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1929 3-3-11 27.00" 1167.0Hz (D-11c)
4 Robert Newcombe, Leicester c.1570 4-0-03 27.875" 1100.0Hz (c#-14c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1625 4-3-26 30.75" 965.0Hz (B-40c)
6 Edward Arnold, Leicester 1790 7-0-12 33.625" 874.0Hz (A-12c)

 

 

Ashow, The Assumption of Our Lady, Warwickshire

Ashow Bells: 4; 6cwt in B (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/312702
Postcode: CV8 2LE
District: Coventry
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village - choose one based on your next tower, or go to Baginton or Kenilworth.
Stoneleigh does not have a pub either, only a social club.
Contact: Stephen Harvey, (Churchwarden), Abbey House, Ashow, CV8 2LE Tel: 01926 852543
Visits are restricted to 30 minutes of ringing.

History 

South-West of Kenilworth, just off the B4115 near the entrance to Stoneleigh Abbey, until recently these bells had not been rung regularly for some time. The 17th century frame includes some of the timber from an earlier medieval frame and is of a fairly common layout, with an empty central "pit". The frame with is considered to be historically important. The fittings are mostly contemporary with the bells, though the wheels are later. The tenor has had its canons removed, the others retain theirs. None of the bells have been turned.

There had long been a belief that the bells are unringable. However, recent minor work has meant that these bells are once again ringable and go reasonably well. They remain a little "fragile" and should be rung for only short periods and "with care" There is a separate clock bell hung on the roof of the tower, Warners 1867, 16" in diameter and weighing around 1cwt, as an estimate.

Follow the road, a dead end getting ever narrower, through the village and the church is at the end, with a small amount of parking by the village club.

From John Greenhough: In 1793, Briant of Hertford provided the present ring of four which has a tenor of 6 cwt. While the headstocks and bearings are original, the other fittings appear to have been renewed. Parts of the frame are medieval and the tower dates from the fourteenth century; it is possible that the previous bells are those now struck by the clock in the gatehouse of Stoneleigh Abbey. A lack of interest due to the small number of bells coupled with pessimistic bellhangers' reports had led to doubts over their safety, but only a few minor repairs were necessary to bring them back into order. After over thirty years of silence, they were raised for Sunday service by ringers from Coventry and Stoneleigh. They having rung for several services and opened the Golden Jubilee party in 2002.

Details of the Bells
1 John Briant, Hertford 1793 3cwt 24.00" 1341.5Hz (E+30c)
2 John Briant, Hertford 1793 3½cwt 24.25" 1236.0Hz (D+12c)
3 John Briant, Hertford 1793 4cwt 28.25" 1130.5Hz (C#+34c)
4 John Briant, Hertford 1793 6cwt 31.00" 995.5Hz (B+14c)

 

Astley, St Mary the Virgin, Warwickshire

Astley Bells: 5; 8-2-9 in F# Minor
Grid Reference: 140/311894
Postcode: CV10 7QN
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: By Arrangement for 3:30pm Service,especially 3rd Sunday
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village.   The Admiral Lord Nelson, Birmingham Rd, Ansley, Nuneaton CV10 9PQ. Tel:024 7639 2305 is a 5 minute drive away, or look for a pub near the next/previous tower you are visiting.
Contact: Mrs Janet Meusel, Howe Green Farm, 2 Windmill Lane, Astley, Nuneaton, CV10 7QA Tel: 01676 540385

History

This was once a collegiate church, built in 1343, having a central tower with a tall wooden spire. A landmark in the woodland, it was known as the “Lanthorn of Arden”. After the dissolution in 1545 the church was plundered for its materials and neglected, and this led to the collapse of the tower in about 1600. In 1607-8 Richard Chamberlaine of Astley Castle decided to re-establish it as a parish church. He retained the original chancel as the present nave, adding the west tower (dated 1607 on a now eroded stone on the south-west buttress) and the chancel (1608). The ruins of Astley Castle are nearby.

Unusually, the bells are in the minor key and the rope guides even have a space for the tenor should it ever arrive! However, the spell is broken once you realise the guides were bought second hand and the space in the frame would actually be for a treble. This pit has, at some time, been occupied. However, there is no evidence that shows six ringing bells have ever been hung.

The bells, which are contemporary with the rebuilding of the tower with the tenor subsequently being recast, are hung in a massive old oak frame for six, of slightly doubtful rigidity, but handle quite well. The bells were retuned and rehung with new fittings in the old frame of 1607 by Taylors in 1912. The canons have been removed from all the bells. The treble, second and tenor have been one-eight turned and the third and fourth one quarter turned. The tenor has long been inaccurately quoted as being 8-2-19.

There is also a small clock bell hanging in a wrought iron frame on the floor of the bell chamber, cast by James Barwell & Co. in the late 19th century. It has a diameter of 14 inches, sounds a note flat of G natural, and weighs about ¾cwt. It is sounded by means of a clock hammer.

Entrance is from inside, using the main west door. Parking is limited near to the church, some space is available at the base of the tower.

Details of the Bells
1 Newcombe, Leicester 1607 4-2-00 29.50" 1120.0Hz (C#+16c)
2 Newcombe, Leicester 1607 5-1-06 31.25" 1000.0Hz (B+21c)
3 Newcombe, Leicester 1607 5-2-15 33.00" 892.0Hz (A+23c)
4 Newcombe, Leicester 1607 7-2-06 36.125" 841.5Hz (G#+23c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1722 8-2-19 38.25" 750.0Hz (F#+23c)

 

Aston Cantlow, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Aston Cantlow Bells: 6; 14-0-14 in F
Grid Reference: 151/138598
Postcode: B95 6JB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recroding:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm (Exc. 1st - which is at Salford Priors)
Service Ringing: 10.45am-11.15am (1st & 3rd) + festivals (Check)
Recommended Pub: The King's Head, 21 Bearley Road, Aston Cantlow, Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire B95 6HY Tel:01789 488242
Contact: Mr J Martin Millbank, Mill Lane, Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire B95 6JP. Tel: 01789 488376 Mob. 0783149566 Click to Email

History

Famed as the church where Shakespeare's parents were married in 1557, this is a very pleasant village with a nice ring of bells.

The seventeenth century, c.1625 oak frame was extended in 1924 using a cast iron frame section when Charles Carr of Smethwick added a treble to make six. Carr had a country cottage in the village. Further restoration was undertaken by Taylors in 1957 when the treble was recast. This is the only bell that does not have canons. The four tenors were eighth turned and the second quarter turned. Apart from the bearings, the Carr fittings were reused.

The entrance is from inside the church. The old, rather scary, wooden ladder has recently been replaced by a spiral staircase.

Parking is reasonably easy nearby.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1957 5-2-17 29.625" 1161.0Hz (D-20c)
2 Thomas Hancox, Walsall 1629 7-0-24 33.25" 1034.0Hz (C-21c)
3 Thomas Hancox, Walsall 1626 7-3-10 33.75" 921.0Hz (Bb-21c)
4 Thomas Hancox, Walsall 1626 9-1-27 35.50" 873.0Hz (A-14c)
5 Worcester Foundry c.1410 12-1-07 40.75" 774.0Hz (G-22c)
6 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1681 14-0-14 43.75" 690.0Hz (F-21c)

 

Atherstone, St Mary, Warwickshire

Atherstone Bells: 8; 8-1-6 in A
Grid Reference: 140/309980
Postcode: CV9 1EY
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Please contact correspondent
Service Ringing: Please contact correspondent
Recommended Pub: Market Tavern, Market Street, Atherstone, CV9 1ET. Tel: 01926 450747 (There are plenty of other good pubs near to the church if this one is too busy)
Contact: Mr F Gilbert 39 Holte Road, Atherstone, Warwickshire CV9 1HN. Tel :01827 712025
W Sanders. Tel: 01827 713562

History

The church is set in the Market Place and is therefore fairly easy to find. There is some parking in Market Place and there is a large free car park to the south of the church - the church photograph being taken from its entrance.

It is a pleasant church worth a short look before ringing. It is early 12th century in foundation. The chancel of the church was completed in 1385 as the church of an Augustinian Friary. At the Dissolution of the Monastries in 1538 this chancel ceased to be used for worship although the old nave was kept as a church. Following the granting of a school charter in 1573 the disused chancel became the home of the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School and continued in this use until 1864. The distinctive octagonal tower was built in 1782 to replace the more conventional square section one. The building of the present nave commenced in 1848 and it was dedicated on 14th March, 1850; it cost £3,000 and seated 1400 people. In 1884 the chancel was restored, joined to the nave and dedicated in 1888.

These bells replaced a single bell in 1960 at a cost of £2,500, and are very nice indeed. The metal frame is of mainly lowside construction, the the outside bearings of the 3rd and 4th are mounted on cast iron pedestals due to the size and shape of the tower.

The listed old bell - by John de Stafford c.1360, diamater of 45.75" and weighing about 16cwt in E (648.0Hz)- is preserved in the church. Its canons were removed and it was drilled through the crown in 1901 when Taylors provided new ringing fittings.

The way up to the bells is quite well hidden. It is half way down the church through an archway on the far left level with the chancel, sort of round the corner.

Ensure that you remove the clock hammer before ringing the bells. The pull off wire is behind the bottom edge of the blue clock workings in the window, with only a small painted notice to indicate where it is.

Unfortunately, due to the proximity of houses, etc. the bells are unavailable for peals. Requests for visits should be made allowing for some flexibility in timing.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 2-3-15 22.50" 1766.0Hz (A+6c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 3-1-00 23.50" 1677.0Hz (G#+16c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 3-1-13 24.50" 1479.0Hz (F#-1c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 3-1-26 25.50" 1315.5Hz (E-4c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 4-1-00 27.625" 1169.0Hz (D-8c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 4-3-25 29.125" 1102.0Hz (C#-11c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 6-0-10 31.625" 978.5Hz (B-16c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1960 8-1-06 35.50" 871.0Hz (A-18c)

 

Avon Dassett, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Avon Dassett Bells: 5; 7cwt in A - Restricted Ringing, Church Redundant
Grid Reference: 151/412502
Postcode: CV47 2AH
District: Warwick
Peals None
Recording
Practice: None
Service Ringing: None
Contact: The Churches Conservation Trust, 89 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1DH
Graham Nabb, 12 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks, CV35 0LT Tel: 01926 641812 Click to Email

History

The old church at Avon Dassett had two bells in an enclosed weatherboarded turret over the west end of the nave. The turret had a pyramid roof and weathercock. Being unsound and unfit for public worship the old church was demolished in 1868 and the foundation stone of the present church erected on the same site was laid in June of that year. This lovely church was declared redundant in May 1983. It is set in beautiful rural South Warwickshire.

Owing to problems with the tower, caused by the fact that the church tower was "allegedly moving slowly down the hill", the bells were not available for ringing for many years. They are a complete ring by Blews and were installed at a cost of £220. Those who have rang on the bells did comment that tower movement made them surprisingly difficult to ring at times. All retain their canons and none have been turned. The installation itself remained in a fairly good condition given the lack of attention that it has not had for a good number of years.

Surveys completed in January 2002 by a steeplejack and structural engineer recommended against the ringing of the bells unless the tower is repaired. This repair work was completed during 2008 and some of the bells were swing chimed shortly afterwards. The bells have recently had some work done to improve their condition and they are now ringable on a restricted basis and no longer ground floor. However, they are not available for general ringing at the present time. There is a bit of tower movement and the bells do need some careful handling.

Details Of The Bells
1 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 3½cwt 25.50" 1479.0Hz (F#-1c)
2 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 3¾cwt 26.75" 1310.5Hz (E-11c)
3 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 4½cwt 28.75" 1210.0Hz (D#-49c)
4 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 5¼cwt 30.50" 1094.0Hz (C#-23c)
5 William Blews, Birmingham 1869 7cwt 33.50" 989.5Hz (B+3c)