Allesley, All Saints, West Midlands
|Bells:||8; 12-0-0 in G#|
|Recording:|| - before restoration |
- after restoration
|Practice Night:||Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm|
|Service Ringing:||9:30am - 10:00am & 5:30pm - 6:00pm|
|Recommended Pub||The Rainbow, 73 Birmingham Rd, Allesley, Coventry CV5 9GT Phone: 024 7640 7957|
|Contacts:||Mrs L Grove 22 Wingrave Close, Allesley, Coventry CV5 9BT |
Dr I D Thompson 63 St Martins Road, Finham, Coventry CV3 6FD Click to Email
On the North West edge of Coventry this is a pleasant village that is just separate from the city itself. Of Norman origin, the church has been much altered, a major restoration taking place in mid-Victorian times. There is plenty of parking behind the church, up the small road, Rectory Road, opposite "The Rainbow", a pub that is the ringers' "apres ring" venue.
There are 8 bells - the 8¼cwt anticlockwise 5 being completely rehung clockwise and augmented by adding a tenor and recasting the (15th Century!) 3rd in 1901; two trebles being added to complete the octave in 1946/7, at which time the existing 6 bells were rehung on ball bearings using the original headstocks. The "new" trebles occupy the pits for the existing trebles; these being hung in two parallel "lowside" pits installed above the original frame. The bells were cast in late 1946 and hung in 1947.
During 2011 replacement bells for the tonally weak third and fourth were installed. The existing third was been sold to the Keltek Trust and bellhanger Matthew Higby hung it as the treble of five at Little Bedwyn at Easter 2014. The fourth has been hung dead as a service bell in the upper level of the frame. In November 2016 the tonally weak 6th bell was replaced by a bell that was rescued by the Keltek Trust and Taylors from the redundant church of Holy Trinity, Bury. The previous bell is intended to become a clock bell in the near future.
Entrance is by an outside door on the south side of the tower. Remember to duck if you are tall!
The frequency of the tenor has been measured and it equates to G#-47c and therefore the ring is in G# and not G as has always previously been stated.
Details of the bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1946||3-0-23||23.50"||1619.5Hz||(G#-45c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1946||3-2-00||24.50"||1529.5Hz||(Fx-44c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||2011||3-1-21||25.50"||1358.0Hz||(E#-49c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||2011||3-3-21||26.875"||1214.0Hz||(D#-43c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1901||5-0-27||30.00"||1077.5Hz||(C#-49c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughbrough||1907||6-2-13||32.50"||1019.7Hz||(B#-45c)|
|8||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1901||12-0-00||40.75"||808.5Hz||(G#-47c)|
|Service||Thomas Newcombe, Leicester||1580||3-3-08||26.50"||1202.5Hz||(D#-59c)|
|Clock||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1708||5-3-27||32.00"||1016.5Hz||(B#-51c)|
|Prev. 3rd||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1708||3-0-15||25.50"||1357.0Hz||(E#-50c)|