Claverdon, St Michael and All Angels, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 11-1-23 in F#|
|Practice Night:||Friday 4:30pm|
|Recommended Pubs:||The Crown Inn, Henley Road, Claverdon, Warwick CV35, 8LJ. Tel: 01926 842 210 (Italian Food) |
The Red Lion, Station Road, Claverdon, Warwick, CV35 8PE. Tel: 01926 842291 (A "Gastropub")
|Contact:||Ian Willis Click to Email|
History Of The Bells
Set in a pleasant Warwickshire village these bells go well, the ringing chamber being raised from the ground floor in the late 1980s.
Three bells survive from the ring of six supplied by Lester and Pack of Whitechapel in 1757. These replaced a ring of 5. The cost was £289 1s 1d, less £141 5s 0d allowance for the old bells, giving a net cost of £147 16s 1d. They were rehung at a cost of £36 16s 5¼d by Thomas Malin, a local carpenter in 1850 They were rehung again in 1892 by Warners who recast two of the bells, but further work - this time by Taylors - was needed in 1914 when the bells were rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame with new fittings. The cracked 4th was recast with a flat top at this time and the canons removed from the other bells, which were quarter turned. The bells were rehung on ball bearings by Taylor in 1954
The Rev. H.T. Tilley, the co-author (with H.B. Walters) of The Church Bells of Warwickshire (1910) was Vicar here from 1902-1905. The altar rails were given in his memory and part of the cost of the restoration of the bells in 1914 was met from a bequest by his widow.
Entrance is from inside the church and you can park by the churchyard wall.
Details Of The Bells
|1||Lester and Pack, Whitechapel||1757||4-2-03||28.375"||1267.0Hz||(D#+31c)|
|2||John Warner & Sons, London||1892||4-3-23||29.75"||1130.0Hz||(C#+33c)|
|3||Lester and Pack, Whitechapel||1757||6-1-01||32.50"||1005.0Hz||(B+30c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1914||6-2-20||32.875"||949.0Hz||(A#+31c)|
|5||Lester and Pack, Whitechapel||1757||8-2-04||37.375"||846.0Hz||(G#+32c)|
|6||John Warner & Sons, London||1892||11-1-23||41.50"||755.0Hz||(F#+35c)|