Dunchurch, St Peter, Warwickshire

Dunchurch Bells: 6; 17-0-8 in E
Grid Reference: 150/486712
Postcode: CV22 6NQ
District: Rugby
Peals Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:50am-10:30am
Recommended Pub: The Dun Cow, The Green, Dunchurch, Rugby, CV22 6NJ Tel: 01788 81030
Contact: Mr M Bennett, 104 Tennyson Avenue, Rugby CV22 6JF

History Of The Bells

On the old "A" road from Birmingham to London this village is now by-passed by the M45. It is a really pretty village that is worth a visit. The church is in the main square and is visible from some distance. It contains a heavy ring of 6 that does rock the tower a bit! Nevertheless they are not too difficult to ring and are pleasant sounding. Each year around Christmas the statue near to the church is dressed up anonymously by some locals! The main "Gunpowder Plot" plotters awaited news of its outcome in the 'Lion Inn' near the church.  A plaque on the house, now called 'Guy Fawkes House' - (what else?) tells the tale.

Joseph Smith cast a ring of six in 1724. tenor 16-3-0, to replace a ring of 5, cast in 1620 by, perhaps, William Clibury of Wellington, with the third recast by William Bagley in 1670. The inscriptions were at this time:-

1 God save this Country [&] King & Realm [ M? ] Fawkes 1620
2 Gloria in Excelsis H.G. WR. J.M. W.F: C: Wardens 1620
3 Be it known unto all men that Edward Bagley made me 1670.
4 God save this Church & King & Realm
5 I sound unto thee Lord to call thy people to thy word 1620

The tenor was recast by Briant of Hertford in 1792 at a cost of £40 12s 6d. It weighed 18-0-20. John Over of Rugby rehung the bells in 1805/06 at a cost of £72/14/- Whitechapel overhauled the bells in 1954. at which time they were hung on ball bearings.

The bells were again rehung in 1981 - the steel frame being made locally. They were retuned at this time by Taylors, but rehung using the cast iron headstocks and other fittings supplied when the bells were previously rehung by Barwell in 1913, who had removed the canons and quarter turned the bells at this time.

In early 2011 a scheme was completed under which a new ringing platform was placed in the tower in order that the ringers now ring from lower in the tower than before and therefore do not suffer problems due to the short draught between them and the bells that previously existed.  The way to this ringing platform is from inside the church. The previous tower entrance remains from outside of the tower, to the right of the west door.  The ringing platform can also be reached via this door if necessary.

There is plenty of parking near to the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1724 6-2-09 32.00" 1107.0Hz (C#-3c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1724 6-2-03 33.00" 989.0Hz (B+2c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1724 7-0-14 35.50" 881.0Hz (A+2c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1724 8-2-00 37.00" 825.0HZ (G#-12c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1724 10-3-07 40.50" 741.0Hz (F#+2c)
6 John Briant, Hertford 1792 17-0-08 46.75" 661.0Hz (E+5c)

 

Ettington, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire

Ettington Bells: 4; 10½cwt in Ab
Grid Reference: 151/267490
Postcode: CV37 7TR
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pubs: The Chequers, 91 Banbury Rd, Ettington, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 7SR. Tel: 01789 740387
The White Horse Inn, 52 Banbury Rd, Ettington, Ettington-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 7SU. Tel: :01789 740641
The Houndshill, Banbury Rd, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 7NS. Tel: 01789 740267
Contact: Graham Nabb, 12 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks, CV35 0LT Tel: 01926 641812 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

There was, until quite recently, some debate about the ringability or otherwise of these bells. They were rung in the recent past but were not for the less experienced and had a period of time when ringing was not allowed. Recent work means that these bells are ringable, but with limited access due to their condition. There is plenty of room for a ring of six, should you wish to take on a project!

The frame is by John Waters of Kings Sutton, 1803. Fittings also by Waters, but overhauled and partly renewed when the bells and frame were moved from the previous church, dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury, to the present one by George Day of Eye in 1909. All the bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned.

These bells have hung in three different churches - in the mediaeval church in Ettington Park until 1803, in the new church, St Thomas', (tenor recast) on the Stratford Road (built in 1795-8 - the tower still stands. It has recently been converted into a residence) until 1909, and since then in the present church (church 1903, tower 1908-9). The note of the tenor is Ab, rather than the G quoted until analysis in 2009.  It is a little sharp for the other bells and "Dove" now has them as 1, 2, 3, 3b of 4. All but the tenor are "listed" bells.

The  current church was built of Bourton stone in 1903 in the 14th-century style and consists of a chancel, north tower and organ chamber, south vestry, and nave. The previous church was built in 1798, partly as the population of the village was in now living in this area, and demolished in 1913, the "Shirley Transept" being built in 1800. The original parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity are about 1½ miles to the south-west of the current church. It consisted of a chancel, nave, north and south transepts, north aisle to the nave, and a west tower. The south transept, restored in 1825 by E. J. Shirley, and the west tower still stand. The remainder is effectively a ruin

From the Ettington Park Website

"All that remains now are the tower, which is home to rare Horseshoe bats, the walls of the nave, and the chapel which houses the Shirley family's mausoleum, and which can still be used for blessings." 

Details Of The Bells
1 Edward Newcombe, Leicester 1595 5½cwt 35.00" 1055.5Hz (C+15c)
2 Edward Newcombe, Leicester 1595 7cwt 33.00" 987.0Hz (B+0c)
3 Richard Purdue, Bristol (Banbury?) 1624 8½cwt 36.50" 899.0Hz (A+37c)
4 John Briant, Hertford 1803 10½cwt 38.75" 820.5Hz (Ab+21c)

 

Exhall, St Giles, Warwickshire

Exhall Bells: 6; 6-2-6 in B (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/340850
Postcode: CV7 9AB
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm (except 3rd)
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:00am-9:30am
Recommended Pub: The Greyhound Inn, Sutton Stop, Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry, CV6 6DF. Tel: 024 7636 3046
(A very good pub - turn in just by a canal bridge - easy to miss - check this map)
Contact: Mrs V Hopkins, 37 Deans Way, Coventry, CV7 9HG: Tel: 024 7664 5161  Click to Email

History Of The Bells

An old church that is visible from Junction 3 of the M6 - not that it is too easy to get to it from there!

Take the A444 towards Coventry. At the first roundabout turn right, the last exit, signposted to Prologis Park. There are traffic lights almost immediately - straight on. At the next set of lights turn right and then straight on for 500yds or so and turn right towards the church - look for the signpost to direct you!

The church is thriving and is one of the few around the area with a top class choir. It even has a deputy organist! The bells are an easy going six. The three Smith of Edgbaston bells, cast in 1706 were recast and rehung, still as a three but in a 6-bell frame, at the beginning of the 20th century by James Barwell, and dedicated by the Bishop of Coventry on 21 December 1900. The Smith inscriptions were repeated on the new bells.

On installation, these bells were intended to be the front three of a heavier ring of six (tenor c.10 cwt in G). Some 20 years later they were indeed augmented to six as a memorial to those that fell in WWI. The 1900 scheme was modified in 1920 and two trebles and a tenor were added instead of three tenors, the 1900 treble being retuned down a semitone, now weighing 4-0-14 (4-1-14 was the original weight). The treble and second hang in pits of the 1900 frame intended for much larger bells and their headstocks are very long. The tenor bell was cast without canons, and the five smallest bells have 'Doncaster heads'.

The composite frame remains that installed by Barwell 1900. The fittings are of 1900 and 1920, with ball bearings fitted when the bells were rehung, the 4th bell's headstock being replaced, by Mears & Stainbank in 1957. Other relatively minor work was completed by Taylors in the early 1990s, including the replacement of the tenor bell's headstock.

The entrance is by the main South Door. There is a church car park on the opposite side of the road  

Details Of The Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank, London 1920 3-0-25 23.50" 1645.5Hz (G#-16c)
2 Mears & Stainbank, London 1920 3-2-23 25.25" 1453.5Hz (F#-31c)
3 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1900 4-1-14 27.00" 1308.5Hz (E-14c)
4 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1900 4-2-20 28.50" 1228.0Hz (D#-23c)
5 James Barwell & Co, Birmingham 1900 5-2-14 30.50" 1086.5Hz (C#-35c)
6 Mears & Stainbank, London 1920 6-2-06 33.00" 966.0Hz (B-39c)

 

Farnborough, St Botolph, Warwickshire

Farnborough Bells: 6; 6-1-12 in Bb
Grid Reference: 151/434496
Postcode: OX17 1DZ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: By Arrangement
Recommended Pub: The Inn at Farnborough, Main Street, Farnborough, Nr. Banbury OX17 1DZ Tel: 01295 690615
Contact: Rick Kaplan, The Old Rectory, Farnborough, Banbury OX17 1DZ. Tel: 01295 690301 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

Set in deepest South-east Warwickshire this is a nice place to spend some time. The church is up a dead end and it might be best to park along the main road.

The original 3 bells were recast by W & J Taylor in 1844. at a cost of £57 14s 6d. The church was restored in 1875 at which time the tower was raised in height and a spire added. At the same time the bells were augmented to 5 by Warners with the adding of a treble and tenor The bells were further augmented to 6 in 1963 and are a pretty ring. Cast iron frame and modern fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1963. The new bell was cast with a flat top and the canons of the others removed. Bells 2, 4 & 5 have been one-eighth turned and 3 and 6 one-quarter turned. You can see them turning by looking through the louvres from the south side.

There is a new band at this church as of late 2011 and visitors would be made welcome in order to help the recruits to gain experience.

This side is where you enter the church and find a short vertical ladder to the ringing room. There is a sanctus bell, 12" in diameter hung for swing chiming in a space between the pit of the tenor and the south wall. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank, London 1963 3-2-14 24.50" 1520.0Hz (Gb+47c)
2 John Warner, London 1875 3-2-03 26.00" 1370.0Hz (F-33c)
3 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1844 3-1-20 27.00" 1222.0Hz (Eb-32c)
4 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1844 4-0-25 28.50" 1145.0Hz (D-44c)
5 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1844 4-3-03 31.00" 1026.0Hz (C-34c)
6 John Warner, London 1875 6-1-12 34.00" 911.5Hz (Bb-39c)

 

Fenny Compton, St Peter & St Clare, Warwickshire

Fenny Compton Bells: 3; 7cwt in Bb (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/417521
District: Warwick
Postcode: CV47 2YE
Recording:
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Merrie Lion, Brook Street, Fenny Compton, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 2YH. Tel: 01295 771134
The Wharf Inn, Wharf Road, Fenny Compton, CV47 2FE. Tel: 01295 770332
Contact: Keith Distin 01295 770118

History Of The Bells

A nice pretty Warwickshire village. The church has three bells, with room for more. They are very much in a ringable state. The cast iron frame and fittings are by Thomas Bond of Burford, 1938. The treble was previously rehung by Barwells in about 1900 at which time it was quarter turned. It has now been one-eighted turned.  The other two bells have been quarter turned. All bells have had their canons removed. A piece from the old bellframe dated 1636 is preserved in the tower.

Look for the sign from High Street signed "Church Street Only" to the left.

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1636 4cwt 28.00" 1213.5Hz (D#-44c)
2 John Appowell, Buckingham c.1560 5½cwt 31.00" 1105.5Hz (C#-5c)
3 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1663 7cwt 34.25" 952.5Hz (Bb+37c)

 

>
 

Fillongley, St Mary and All Saints, Warwickshire

Fillongley Bells: 8; 10-3-23 in F
Grid Reference: 140/281872
Postcode: CV7 8ET
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Friday 7:50pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:45am-10:30am (1 & 3)
Recommended Pub Manor House, Coventry Road, Fillongley, Warwickshire, CV7 8ET, Tel: 01676 541517, or
Weavers Arms, Nuneaton Road, Fillongley, Warwickshire, CV7 8DL. Tel: 01676 540399
Contacts: Dr R A Swallow 29 Dugdale Court, Coventry Road, Coleshill, B46 3AT. Tel: 01675 238368
Mr A Coleman 23 St. Wilfrid's Cottages, Ansley Lane, Old Arley, Coventry CV7 8EP

History Of The Bells

A nice church on the road from Coventry via Kingsbury towards Tamworth. Being next to the main road it cannot be missed. It is slightly unusual that one of the bells was cast during the Commonwealth, (a John Martin bell of 1654, cast at Coleshill and also in the time of the Commonwealth, was recast in 1896 at which time the bells were rehung and augmented to six).

Local enthusiasm has resulted in the original six being rehung on ball bearings in 1992 and two trebles added to complete the octave in time for the Millennium. At this time the existing trebles were moved into new framework added alongside the existing frame, using traditional stays and sliders and the new trebles put into the old treble pits which were converted to stays and sliders. The back four bells remain with hastings stays. The Taylor bells were cast without canons and those on the older bells have been removed. The four old bells have been quarter turned. The tenor nominal is 716Hz, midway between F natural (+48 cents) and F# (-52 cents) - very slightly closer to F than F#

These fine bells were regarded as unringable from 1935 to 1975 owing to concern about the tower. This was fixed some time ago and the whole tower was repointed in 2006-7.

The entrance is on the north side of the tower. There is a small car park North, uphill of the church, on the main road and parking can be found against the churchyard wall on the road to the South of the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1998 4-2-02 26.625" 1431.0Hz (F+42c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1998 4-3-02 27.50" 1352.0Hz (E+43c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1896 6-0-01 30.00" 1197.0Hz (D+33c)
4 Bryan Eldridge II, Coventry 1658 6-0-03 31.50" 1075.0Hz (C+47c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1896 6-3-15 33.50" 955.0Hz (Bb+42c)
6 Edward Arnold, Leicester 1795 7-0-27 35.00" 899.0Hz (A+37c)
7 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1628 9-1-14 38.00" 805.0Hz (G+46c)
8 Edward Arnold, Leicester 1791 10-3-23 42.00" 716.0Hz (F+43c)

 

Frankton, St Nicholas, Warwickshire

Frankton Bells: 4; 8cwt in Ab; Anticlockwise - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 140/423701
Postcode: CV23 9PJ
District: Rugby
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Friendly Inn, Main Street, Frankton, CV23 9NY. Tel: 01926 632430
Contact: Revd Barbara Clutton, Church Cottege, Main Street, Grandborough, Rugby, Warwickshire, CB23 8DQ

History Of The Bells

An old and interesting installation, parts of the frame being of 14th century date. The frame was remodelled in the 17th century. The fittings are largely of 18th century date, some work being carried out by John Standlyt of Martin in 1777 at a cost of £10 3s 0d. The treble swings east to west on the south side of the frame and the other three North - South in three parallel pits, second, then tenor. then third. The rope circle is therefore anticlockwise.

The bells retain their canons and have not been quarter-turned. They are sounded by an Ellacombe chiming apparatus supplied by Taylors in 1950.

There is, at times, some distant hope that the bells may be restored, but certainly nothing is imminent. 

Details Of The Bells
1 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1636 3¾cwt 27.50" 1158.0Hz (D-25c)
2 Newcombe, Leicester 1607 4½cwt 28.50" 1037.0Hz (C-16c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1623 6cwt 32.625" 946.0Hz (Bb+25c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1616 8½cwt 34.25" 847.0Hz (Ab+34c)

 

Grandborough, St Peter, Warwickshire

Grandborough Bells: 5; 16½cwt in F# (GF) - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/493670
Postcode: CV23 8DG
District: Rugby
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: Shoulder of Mutton, Sawbridge Road, Grandborough, Rugby, Warwicskhire, CV23 8DN. Tel 01788 814306
Contact: Revd Jane Close, The Vicarage, Lower Street, Willoughby, Rugby, CV23 8BX

History Of The Bells

You cannot miss this church in the village as it has a large spire. This heavy ring of 5 bells is in a very unringable condition, the treble being cracked from crown staple expansion, across the crown and along the inscription band, (even so it does not sound too bad and the clock still strikes on it!)?

Treble, third and tenor of Henry Bagley I bells and are heavily decorated. The treble has been quarter turned, apparently to prevent further damage to it, possibly in 1810. The other bells were recast in 1706 by Smith of Edgbaston and the Churchwarden's accounts have a receipt for £4/6/3 for part of his charges. His bill for recasting the two bells and providing new clappers, gudgeons and brasses amounted to £11/15/4. The back four bells have not been turned and all retain their canons.

The bells were repaired in 1789 by Thomas Watson at a cost of £12/8/6 and were last rehung in 1809 when John Over of Rugby reconstructed the oak frame, (retaining parts of the c.1630 woodwork) and provided new fittings. This work cost over £100 and was paid for by raising a loan that was not paid off until 1823.

There is a chiming apparatus by W.E. Burnell of Rugby, c1950. 

Details Of The Bells
    
1 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 6½cwt 32.50" 1035.0Hz (C-19c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1706 8cwt 35.00"  929.0Hz (Bb-6c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 9½cwt 37.75" 864.5Hz (A-31c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1706 12cwt 42.50" 763.5Hz (G-46c)
5 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1639 16½cwt 45.50" 682.0Hz (F-41c)

 

Great Wolford, St Michael, Warwickshire

Great Wo;ford Bells: 6: 11-3-7 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/250345
Postcode: CV36 5NE
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: By Arrangement
Service Ringing: By Arrangement
Recommended Pub: The Fox and Hounds, Great Wolford, Warwickshire, CV36 5NQ. Tel 01608 674220
Contact: Mr John Wrench, Hillside Farm, Great Wolford, Shipston-on-Stour CV36 5NQ

History Of The Bells

A pleasant village on the south edge of the Diocese. Look for the signpost of the A3400 to "The Wolfords".

It is probably that a ring of six was cast for this church by Richard Keene of Woodstock in in 1689/90 at the cost of Maj. Thomas Keyte. Bells 1, 2 & 4 of this ring remain. The other bells have been recast, in 1752, 1792 and again in 1864, at which point the bells were rehung by Whites of Appleton. The third, fourth and fifth were rehung by Bond of Burford in 1930. At this time their canons were removed and they were quarter turned.

These bells were retuned by Whitechapel and rehung in a new steel and cast iron frame by White's of Appleton in 1991 and therefore go well and sound much better than they previously did. The front 5 have been eighth turned and the tenor quarter turned.

There is some parking in front of the church. This tower is in older editions of Dove's Guide as Wolford.  

Details Of The Bells
1 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1690 4-0-02 27.50" 1230.0Hz (D#-20c)
2 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1689 4-0-20 29.25" 1100.0Hz (C#-14c)
3 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1792 5-0-26 32.00" 979.5Hz (B-14c)
4 Richard Keene, Woodstock 1690 5-3-21 33.375" 929.5Hz (A#-5c)
5 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1752 7-1-18 37.375" 819.0Hz (G#-24c)
6 George Mears, London 1864 11-3-07 42.375" 731.5Hz (F#-20c)

 

Halford, Our Blessed Lady, Warwickshire

Halford Bells: 6; 7-2-16 in A (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/258456
Postcode: CV36 5BT
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Halford, Fosse Way, Halford, Warwickshire CV36 5BN. Tel: 01789 748217
Contact: Peter Richardson Tel: 01789 740024

 

History Of The Bells

This is a really nice little Warwickshire church! It is situated to the west side of the A429. Turn in by the pub. Until recently these were an unringable 3, but were augmented in 1996 by the addition of the treble and second from the old three at Little Packington. They were last rehung by Bond of Burford in around 1883.

Examining the bells weights will show a somewhat unusual weight distribution. Nevertheless a pleasant country ring of 5 was created. The announcement of a Millennium grant meant that these become a ring of 6, the treble being dedicated on 30th July 2000. The fourth is believed to be the oldest inscribed bell in the county - of early C14th date. The fifth is a recast of a mid-fifteenth century bell by a London founder.

Previously they hung in a two tier frame, the old treble being right at the top of the tower. The lower frame was incorporated in present arrangements - containing bells 2 and 5 - the others being hung in a new cast iron frame of 1995 below. The old fittings were by Bond of Burford 1883. The new bell was cast with a flat top, the canons have been removed from the fourth, the rest retain their canons. Bells 2, 3 & 5 have been quarter turned, the tenor eight turned and the fourth turned by an unknown amount, it having been turned more than once.

Limited parking is available by the churchyard gate. Enter by the north door.  

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2000 2-0-18 22.00" 1460.0Hz (F#+24c)
2 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester c.1580 2-0-18 23.25" 1308.0Hz (E-14c)
3 Edward Newcombe & Hugh Watts I, Leicester c.1595 2-2-14 25.00" 1156.0Hz (D-28c)
4 Unknown C14th 6-1-14 61.25" 1094.0Hz (C#-23c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1883 6-2-22 32.25" 972.0Hz (B-28c)
6 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1639 7-2-16 35.50" 866.0Hz (A-28c)

 

Harborough Magna, All Saints, Warwickshire

Harborough Magna Bells: 3; 5cwt in B - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 140/476792
Postcode: CV23 0GA
District: Rugby
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Old Lion, Pailton Road, Harborough Magna, Warwickshire CV23 0HQ. Tel: 01788 833238
Contact: Parish Office  Email

History Of The Bells

These bells are unringable, the wheels were removed by Taylors in 1957 when they were contracted to replace the tenor bell in the frame following an accident.The treble bell is in the southern pit, the second in the centre and the tenor hangs on the north side of the tower. The wheel and pulley positions indicate an anti-clockwise rope circle. They were stored in the bell chamber, but the top halves have recently been put back onto the bells for display purposes only. They are now sounded via an Ellacambe chiming apparatus. The frame is an old one, likely to have been made by William Ragg in 1657. The last rehang of these bells was by John Over of Rugby in 1806. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Son, Loughborough 1850 4-0-2 27.125" 1276.5Hz (D#+43c)
2 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry 1657 4cwt 27.25" 1159.0Hz (C#+79c)
3 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry 1657 5cwt 29.75" 1010.5Hz (B+39c)

 

Harbury, All Saints, Warwickshire

Harbury Bells: 8; 12-0-14 in G
Grid Reference: 151/374600
Postcode: CV33 9EY
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Friday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: 1st Sunday 8:20am-9:00am, Others 9:50am-10:30am
Also 5:50pm-6:30pm Summer, 3:20pm-4:00pm Winter
Recommended Pub: The Old New Inn, Farm St, Harbury, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV33 9LS. Tel:01926 614023
Contacts: Mrs Alison Abbott, 9 Vicarage Lane, Harbury, Leamington Spa, CV33 9HA Click to Email
Mr William Jones, 24 Ivy Lane, Leamington Spa, CV33 9HN Tel: 01926 611914

History Of The Bells

A pleasant church with a stone and brick tower. The tower was rebuilt betweem 1811-13 at a cost of £1026 and a new ring of 5 supplied by Thomas Mears of Whitechapel, tenor 13-0-8 at a cost of £113/7/8, plus £5/1/3 for carriage and £2/8/0 for new ropes. There is a picture in the ringing room showing an unfulfilled plan to rebuild using stone, this plan including a spire. Prior to this the number of bells is uncertain. There were certainly three bells and a sanctus bell in 1552.

The bells have been augmented twice since WWII, first to 6 in 1959, when the old 5 were recast and the ring rehung in a metal frame, and then in 1982 to 8. Metal from the redundant ring of 3 at Winderton was used to cast the trebles, (bells actually cast in 1981, dedicated in 1982). The bells sound well and go easily. They were all cast with flat tops.

In the latter augmentation four castings from the old frame from St. Stephen, Clapham Park, Surrey were used to extend the frame to take eight bells (a Gillett & Johnston job of 1919 - the bells are now at Spitalfields).

There is a reasonable amount of on-street parking by the church. The tower door is found inside the church, to the left. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1981 3-3-15 23.625" 1575.0Hz (G+8c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1981 4-1-12 24.25" 1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 4-1-17 25.375" 1318.0Hz (E-1c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 4-2-00 27.00" 1173.0Hz (D-2c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 5-1-25 29.50" 1042.0Hz (C-7c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 6-1-20 31.50" 982.0Hz (B-10c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 8-0-22 34.50" 872.0Hz (A-16c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1959 12-0-03 38.25" 776.0Hz (G-18c)

 

Hatton, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire

Hatton Bells: 6; 13-2-18 in G (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/236673
Postcode: CV35 7LD
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pubs: The Hatton Arms Birmingham Road Hatton Warwick CV35 7JJ. Tel: 01926 492427
The Falcon, Birmingham Rd, Hatton, Warwickshire CV35 7HA ‎. Tel: 01926 484281
Contact: Mr B Olerenshaw, 20 Lakin Road, Warwick CV34 5BU

History Of The Bells

Set by itself on the main road from Warwick this is an easy church to find. It is best to park carefully by the church, or a few hundred yards north of the church in the church hall car park, and enter through the north door.

The church is a rarity in that there used to be more bells that there are at present hung in the tower, a ring of 8 once rang out from here. This ring was recast into 6 by Barwell of Birmingham. The frame and fittings are therefore by Barwell 1885, but Taylors rehung the bells on ball bearings - the tenor in 1934 and the rest in 1951. Pullies were also replaced. There is a candelabra type rope guide that is quite noisy. These are a ground floor ring. Chris Pickford took the frequencies in January 2016 and the ring is now in the key of G, and not F# as previously reported.  "Best fit" is perhaps the way to state it, the frequencies being a bit erratic.

The ring of eight replaced a lighter ring of five in two stages at the instigation of the Rev. Dr. Samuel Parr, a noted man of letters and teacher, who was vicar here from 1785 until his death in 1825. Parr had been a ringer in his youth and when teaching in Norwich (for Parr and Hatton see Chris Pickford's Coventry book p.90). These bells were all by John Rudhall - the back six dated 1809 and the trebles 1817, (tenor 13-0-4). One peal was rung on the eight - Grandsire Triples by the Coventry ringers on February 19th 1821. The tenor cracked in 1874 and the whole ring was stated to be unsafe by Taylors of Loughborough, leading to the subsequent recasting and reduction in the number of bells.

There is a sanctus bell, cast by John Rudhall in 1809, 16" in diameter, note A#.

These bells were not rung for about 5 years at the start of the century, but have had some minor work in late 2005 which means that they are now ringable. Chris Pickford comments that "... these poor toned bells can hardly be an improvement on their predecessors", which is a fair indication that these are not the best sounding ring of bells, but are at least roughly in tune with each other. The bells are a tight squeeze into the tower and one wonders how easy it was to fit in a ring of 8. The frame is of oak, but with a large number of ironwork items for strengthening purposes. All bells retain their Doncaster heads. The three trebles have been "scratch" tuned, though the treble has also been skirted. The three tenors are maiden bells. Work was carried out in early 2016 to make the 3rd bell ringable again - part of a canon had broken and the bell was not hanging level in its pit. They remain a little difficult to ring and it is perhaps better that only reasonably experienced ringers are brought to ring here. 

Details Of The Bells
1 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 5-3-25 30.00" 1322.0Hz (E+5c)
2 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 6-1-17 31.50" 1167.5Hz (D-11c)
3 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 6-2-12 33.00" 1010.0Hz (C-61c)
4 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 6-3-22 34.50" 951.5Hz (B-65c)
5 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 9-2-27 37.50" 845.0Hz (A-70c)
6 James Barwell, Birmingham 1885 13-2-18 42.50" 763.0Hz (G-47c)

A Unusual View in the Ringing Room.

 

 

 

Henley in Arden, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Henley-in-Arden Bells: 6; 11-3-4 in G
Grid Reference: 151/151660
Postcode: B95 5SS
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:00pm-8:15pm (Occasionally moved to Beaudesert)
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:30am-10:00am
Recommended Pub: There are several places to eat and drink nearby. Try here for details
Contact: Dr M Colclough, 3 Beaudesert Place, Henley-in-Arden, Solihull B95 5BF. Tel: 01564 793710  Click to Email

History Of The Bells

Set right in the middle of this nice South Warwickshire village, you cannot miss this church. With plenty of nice shops and pubs this is a ideal place to linger a while.

The bells were re-hung in 1991 and now go more easily than they formerly did. Eayre & Smith reused the cast iron headstocks fitted by Barwells of Birmingham when they rehung the bells in 1910. A piece of timber dated 1674 in the ringing room came from the old frame - but the frame itself was of slightly later date, the dated timber (having been reused "inverted" in the later frame). The clock pendulum swings between the treble and fourth in the ringing room!

They hang in a steel and cast iron frame for six. All bells have had their canons removed and have been turned. They are in the key of G and not the until recently quoted key of F#.

The entrance is inside the church via the main door. There is plenty of on-street parking around the market place.

Details Of The Bells
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1727 5-0-12 29.25" 1292.0Hz (E-35c)
2 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 4-3-20 30.125" 1190.0Hz (D+23c)
3 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 5-3-00 31.75" 1028.5Hz (C-30c)
4 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 6-3-07 34.375" 967.0Hz (B-37c)
5 Clark & Bushell, Evesham 1707 8-0-25 37.125" 860.5Hz (A-39c)
6 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1727 11-3-04 41.00" 774.0Hz (G-22c)

 

 

Hillmorton, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Hillmorton Bells: 6; 12-0-20 in F
Grid Reference: 140/536744
Postcode: CV21 4PP
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7.30-9.00pm (2nd & 4th)
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:30am
Recommended Pub: The Bell Inn, High Street, Hillmorton, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 4HD. Tel: 01788 544465
Contact: Paul McNutt 9 Sovereign Close, Rugby, CV21 4BB. Tel: 07528 637717. Email

History Of The Bells

Once reputed to be a much heavier ring of 5, and at times said to be unringable, these are now an easy going ring of 6. The old five were rehung in a new frame in 1981-2, the canons being removed, and then augmented to six, in 1983.

The five were cast by Thomas Russell in the same year that he cast five bells for Napton on the Hill. This is remarkable has he only cast five complete rings out of an output of 72 bells between 1712 and 1743. Only Hillmorton remain intact as a ring. The old frame, basically seventeenth century, (possibly made in 1655) with a partial rebuild to the south side of the treble pit in the early nineteenth century, had been supported by the insertion of metal girders in about 1930. The new fabricated steel frame was made in July 1982 by first year apprentices at G.E.C. in Rugby to designs prepared by Taylors.

The church is a little difficult to find. From Rugby it is couple of miles or so along "Hillmorton Road" (NOT Lower Hillmorton Road!), the A428 to Northampton. Keep on the main road as it turns left, meeting Ashlawn Road and becoming High Street. Look for Watts Lane on your left, between bungalows, signposted Hillmorton Primary School, and follow it to the end, there will be shops on your right. Turn left, and go straight(ish) on at the roundabout you soon meet, now in School Street. Fairly soon you turn right into Brindley Road, look for the signpost to the church, and go through a large brick lined tunnel under the main railway line. Almost immediately you emerge from it you can turn left into the church car park, just south of the church. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1983 5-2-20 39.50" 1142.0Hz (D-49c)
2 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 5-2-15 31.00" 1020.0Hz (C-44c)
3 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 5-3-19 32.25" 909.0Hz (Bb-44c)
4 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 6-3-26 34.50" 858.0Hz (A-44c)
5 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 9-1-07 38.00" 764.0Hz (G-45c)
6 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 12-0-20 41.625" 680.0Hz (F-46c)

 

 

Ringing Competition Final

 

Honiley, St John the Baptist, Warwickshire

Honiley Bells: 6; 6-2-4 in A
Grid Reference: 139/245722
Postcode: CV8 1PW
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None 
Service Ringing: None 
Recommended Pub: The Case Is Altered, Case Lane, Five Ways, Warwick, CV35 7JD Tel: 01926 484206 for beer
Tipperary Inn, Meer End Road, Honiley, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 1PW Tel: 01676 533224 for food  ("It's a Long Way to Tipperary" was written here.)
Contact: Sheila Cole Tel:  01926 484271

History Of The Bells

A small estate church, St John's stands all but by itself at the end of a lane. It was built at the expense of John Sanders Esq of Honiley Hall. He died in 1727 and left money in his will to pay for the installation of a ring of bells, this being done in 1731.

The bells are a ring of 6, augmented from 5 in 1978. Barwells rehung the bells with new fittings in 1888 at a cost of £41 15s 0d. The five bells were again rehung and quarter turned, this time with a new H-frame and fittings, by Taylors in 1955.

The treble was cast in 1978 using metal from the single bell from the demolished church of St. Thomas's, Coventry. Taylors provided additional steel framework for the new bell which hangs above the others. The treble was cast flat and the canons were removed from the others during the 1955 rehanging.

Turn off the main road by the Dogs Trust Kennels and the Honiley Court Hotel and as the road bears right you turn off left to the church. Please do not park up this private road to the church, nor by the houses near to the churchyard date.. The residents are very amenable to ringers and we would like it to stay that way! 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1978 3-1-13 24.50" 1516.0Hz (F#-42c)
2 Thomas Eayre, I Kettering 1731 4-1-02 27.00" 1353.0Hz (E+45c)
3 Thomas Eayre, I Kettering 1731 4-1-16 28.375" 1205.0Hz (D+44c)
4 Thomas Eayre, I Kettering 1731 4-1-14 28.75" 1134.5Hz (C#+40c)
5 Thomas Eayre, I Kettering 1731 5-1-26 31.375" 1006.5Hz (B+33c)
6 Thomas Eayre, I Kettering 1731 6-2-04 33.75" 895.0Hz (A+29c)

 

Honington, All Saints, Warwickshire

Honington Bells:  6: 13cwt in Ab (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/261426
Postcode: CV36 5AB
District: Warwick
Peals Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The is no pub in the village - depending on next destination, try:-
The White Lion, Tredington, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire CV36 4NS. Tel: 01608 662067, or
The Horse Shoe Inn, 6 Church Street, Shipston-on-Stour Warwickshire, CV36 4AP. Tel: 01608662190
Contact: Graham Nabb, 12 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks, CV35 0LT. Tel: 01926 641812 Click to Email

History Of The Bells

This estate church is just off the old A34, now the A3400 - look for the signpost just south of Tredington. A pretty church with a ring of 6 rung from the ground floor. These were probably cast as a ring of five by Bagley and augmented by Rudhall to six in 1810. It is likely that this new bell was originally cast for Newnham on Severn, where the treble and tenor bells have proven to be unsatisfactory. Previously, the fourth required recasting in 1726.

The wooden frame and fittings are by Thomas Mallaby & Sons of Masham, 1892 (cost £90). The bells have been quarter turned and retain their canons.

The entrance is at the base of the tower and not through the church. The bells go reasonably well, some much needed routine maintenance being carried out recently. 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Rudhall, Gloucester 1810 4½cwt 29.00" 1371.5Hz (F-32c)
2 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 5cwt 29.875" 1239.5Hz (Eb-7c)
3 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 5¾cwt 31.75" 1080.5Hz (Db-45c)
4 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester 1726 6½cwt 31.125" 1040.5Hz (C-10c)
5 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 8cwt 37.00" 908.0Hz (Bb-46c)
6 Matthew Bagley, Chacombe 1687 11cwt 40.75" 812.5Hz (Ab-38c)