Exhall, St Giles, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 6-2-6 in B (GF)|
|Practice Night:||Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm (except 3rd)|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 9:00am-9:30am|
|Recommended Pub:||The Greyhound Inn, Sutton Stop, Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry, CV6 6DF. Tel: 024 7636 3046 |
(A very good pub - turn in just by a canal bridge - easy to miss - check this map)
|Contact:||Mrs V Hopkins, 37 Deans Way, Coventry, CV7 9HG: Tel: 024 7664 5161 Click to Email|
History Of The Bells
An old church that is visible from Junction 3 of the M6 - not that it is too easy to get to it from there!
Take the A444 towards Coventry. At the first roundabout turn right, the last exit, signposted to Prologis Park. There are traffic lights almost immediately - straight on. At the next set of lights turn right and then straight on for 500yds or so and turn right towards the church - look for the signpost to direct you!
The church is thriving and is one of the few around the area with a top class choir. It even has a deputy organist! The bells are an easy going six. The three Smith of Edgbaston bells, cast in 1706 were recast and rehung, still as a three but in a 6-bell frame, at the beginning of the 20th century by James Barwell, and dedicated by the Bishop of Coventry on 21 December 1900. The Smith inscriptions were repeated on the new bells.
On installation, these bells were intended to be the front three of a heavier ring of six (tenor c.10 cwt in G). Some 20 years later they were indeed augmented to six as a memorial to those that fell in WWI. The 1900 scheme was modified in 1920 and two trebles and a tenor were added instead of three tenors, the 1900 treble being retuned down a semitone, now weighing 4-0-14 (4-1-14 was the original weight). The treble and second hang in pits of the 1900 frame intended for much larger bells and their headstocks are very long. The tenor bell was cast without canons, and the five smallest bells have 'Doncaster heads'.
The composite frame remains that installed by Barwell 1900. The fittings are of 1900 and 1920, with ball bearings fitted when the bells were rehung, the 4th bell's headstock being replaced, by Mears & Stainbank in 1957. Other relatively minor work was completed by Taylors in the early 1990s, including the replacement of the tenor bell's headstock.
The entrance is by the main South Door. There is a church car park on the opposite side of the road
Details Of The Bells
|1||Mears & Stainbank, London||1920||3-0-25||23.50"||1645.5Hz||(G#-16c)|
|2||Mears & Stainbank, London||1920||3-2-23||25.25"||1453.5Hz||(F#-31c)|
|3||James Barwell & Co, Birmingham||1900||4-1-14||27.00"||1308.5Hz||(E-14c)|
|4||James Barwell & Co, Birmingham||1900||4-2-20||28.50"||1228.0Hz||(D#-23c)|
|5||James Barwell & Co, Birmingham||1900||5-2-14||30.50"||1086.5Hz||(C#-35c)|
|6||Mears & Stainbank, London||1920||6-2-06||33.00"||966.0Hz||(B-39c)|