Ilmington, St Mary, Warwickshire

Ilmington Bells: 8; 12-3-26 in E (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/210435
Postcode: CV36 4LB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: The Howard Arms, Lower Green, Ilmington, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 4LT. Tel: 01608 682226
The Red Lion, Front Street, Ilmington Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire CV36 4LX. Tel: 01608 682366
Contact: Mr W Sabin, 6 Washbrook Place,Ilmington, Shipston-on-Stour CV36 4LZ
History Of The Bells

In the middle of another pretty village, St Mary's holds a good ring of eight that is rung from the ground floor. The six bells were rehung by Taylors in 1952, the bells being hung in an 8 bell frame. The empty pits were filled in October 2000. The Bond bell was noticeably sharp and this was sent to Taylors to be retuned as part of the augmentation scheme, the previous weight was 6-0-15.

The back 5 were cast as a ring in 1641 and are extremely attractive bells to look at. They are "a pronderous and full throated old style ring" (CJP). The treble was added in 1921 by Thomas Bond of Burford, whose father, Henry Bond, had rehung and quarter turned the Bagley bells in 1903. It was probably at this time that the canons were removed from the existing bells. The three trebles were all cast with flat tops.

The church can be seen as you drive by, but is a just little difficult to get close to unless you know how! Go through the village until you are just past parallel with the tower, with it to your right, and there is a side road that leads to the churchyard gate. Enter the church via the south door.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2000 5-2-04 28.375" 1356.0Hz (E+49c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2000 6-0-14 29.375" 1275.0Hz (D#+42c)
3 Thomas Bond, Burford 1920 5-3-26 30.875" 1140.0Hz (C#+48c)
4 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 7-1-10 33.50" 1017.0Hz (B+50c)
5 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 7-2-10 35.375" 903.0Hz (A+45c)
6 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 8-1-25 37.375" 850.0Hz (G#+40c)
7 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 10-2-17 40.25" 753.0Hz (F#+30c)
8 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 12-3-26 44.25" 669.5Hz (E+27c)

 

 

Kenilworth, St Nicholas, Warwickshire

Kenilworth Bells: 6; 14-0-22 in F#
Grid Reference: 140/285724
Postcode: CV8 1LD
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:15am-10:00am; 5:45pm-6:30pm
Recommended Pub: The Clarenden Arms, Castle Hill, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 1NB. Tel: 01926 952017
The Famous Virgins and Castle, 7 High Street, Kenilworth Warwickshire, CV8 1LY. Tel: 01296 853737
The Old Bakery, 12 High Street, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 1LZ. Tel: 01926 864111
The Royal Oak, 36 New Street, Kenilworth, West Midlands, CV8 2EZ. Tel 01926 856906 (Local CAMRA pub of the year 2013 & 2014)
Contact: Mrs Rosemary Spencer 23 Berkeley Road, Kenilworth CV8 1AQ Click to Email
History Of The Bells

Set at the Coventry side of Kenilworth, by the Abbey Fields and its car park, don't mistake this church for St John's at the other end of the town near the A46 road just north of Warwick, it having a spire and a chime of 10!

A very nice church in a nice setting with nice bells! The then existing four bells were recast, tenor apparently around 19cwt, in 1656 by Bryan Eldridge, an iterant founder from Chertsey, in Coventry into a ring of five, tenor 15-0-13. The frame was made by William Ragge of Coventry, assisted by his son. Some of this frame may remain in the base of the spire. The trebles were recast by John Briant of Hertford (1795) and Joseph Smith of Edgbaston (1734) respectively. The other three survived to the 1875 restoration, when the tenor was retained and five new bells cast. The second of the ring of 5 found its way to St Matthew's, Surbiton where it is the service bell, alongside 8 hemispherical bells cast by Warner's.  How it came from Taylor's at the same time as this remains something of a mystery.

Frame and fittings are by Taylor 1960 - the frame, unusually, being positioned diagonally in the tower. The canons have been removed from the treble, second and tenor, the others appear to have been cast with flat tops. The ringing room is also unusual in that it has a clock face in the ceiling, driven by the main church clock.

Worth a visit, enter via the north door by the tower. If you have time you may wish to explore the historic ruined castle near to the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1875 5-1-19 29.50" 1244.0Hz (D#-1c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1875 5-2-12 31.50" 1107.0Hz C#-3c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1875 7-2-11 34.25 988.0Hz (B+0c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1875 8-3-10 36.25" 933.0Hz (A#+1c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1875 10-3-25 36.25" 831.0Hz G#+1c)
6 Bryan Eldridge, Coventry 1656 14-0-22 42.50" 741.0Hz (F#+2c)

 

 

Keresley, St Thomas, West Midlands

Keresley Bells: 6; 3-3-10 in D
Grid Reference: 140/317825
Postcode: CV6 2PD
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:00pm (Check)
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:30am
Recommended Pub: The Old Shepherd, Keresley Road, Keresley, Coventry CV6 2JJ. Tel: 024 7633 3351
Contact: Mr G R Chadband, Click to Email
Stella Powell, Parish Office, 34 Tamworth Road, Coventry CV6 2EL
Tel: (024) 7633 2717 (Parish Office) Email or 07981 914372 (Mark Norris, Vicar) Church Website
History Of The Bells

Quite close to Coventry City Centre but not actually in Coventry, St Thomas' church is a red sandstone building right by the main road out to Fillongley, the B4098, and eventually Tamworth - hence it is on the Tamworth Road. (The church is called, for some reason, Brownshill Green in Ron Johnson's Atlas of Bells. Brownshill Green being the neighbouring part of Coventry).

The bells were a slightly heavier ring of five until they were recast and rehung into the lightest ring in the Diocese by Taylors in 1980/1. They are now in a two tier frame - the fourth on top. Dove says that the bells are in the key of D, but the bell weights card from Taylors says Eb. The tenor is actually 1196Hz (D plus 32 cents).

The old bells were all by C & G Mears, 1848 - a ring of five, tenor 6-1-10 in Bb. They were rehung by Mears & Stainbank in 1898 and 1930.

Pleasant to hear and easy to ring. Enter by the tower door. Parking is slightly tricky. A few cars can park half on/half off the pavement on the road by the tower, otherwise try the road at the back of the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 1-2-00 18.75" 2010.0Hz (B+36c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 1-3-08 20.00" 1794.0Hz (A+33c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 2-0-12 21.50" 1596.0Hz (G+31c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 2-1-22 23.375" 1507.0Hz (F#+31c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 2-3-08 24.50" 1340.0Hz (E+28c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1980 3-3-10 26.25" 1196.0Hz (D+31c)

 

 

Kineton, St Peter, Warwickshire - (CC Recognised Ringing Centre)

Kineton Bells:  8; 10-0-5 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/335510
Postcode: CV35 0HN
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:50am-10:30am
Recommended Pub The Swan Hotel, Banbury St, Kineton, Warwickshire CV35 0JS Tel:01926 64066
Contact: Dr Sue Marshall, 12 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks. CV35 0LT Click to Email
Nick Gunn, 11 Glosters Green Kineton CV35 0LT 07759 785474
Ringing Centre Website
History Of The Bells

Set in the middle of this village you cannot miss this church.  It is worth having a moment to look around it before ringing the pleasant bells. These were hung in an 8-bell frame by Gillett & Johnston at the time of the 1913 restoration.
A scheme to fill the vacant pits has recently been completed. This involved selling  the overweight treble to Charlwelton in Northamptonshire, to augment this ring from 4 to 5, and adding three new bells. The new bells were installed in late November 2008 and the first ringing on them was on Bonfire Night!

There was a church here by 1135, of which nothing remains. Part of the tower is late C12, substantial work was carried out in the middle years of C18, but most of this was changed in the Victorian restoration of the church, overseen by John Belcher in 1874-82 for the Rev. Francis Miller (Vicar 1834-1890). There were "iij bells one little bell" in 1552, then Abraham Rudhall I cast a complete ring of 5 in 1703.

The treble appears at first glance to have been added soon after and shortly afterwards the tenor required recasting. However, Chris Pickford has unearthed evidence that suggests that though the treble, though dated 1716, was probably added "second hand" to the ring some time between about 1735 and 1749. The donor, according to the Rudhall Catalogues, was almost certainly William Freeman (more often spelled as Freman) of Aspenden Hall and Hamells Park in Hertfordshire. He was born in 1702 and it is therefore very unlikely that he would have given a bell to Kineton at the age of 14.  (He did, however, donate a number of bells to churches around his homes in the years up to his death in 1749 and also two trebles to Magdalen College in 1739/40 to make the chapel's ring up to ten.) This would partly account for it being out of proportion with the rest of the ring.

The fifth, weighing about 8cwt, became cracked in 1910 and the bell was recast and the ring tuned and rehung three years later. The new bell was cast without canons and those of the other bells were removed. The bells were rehung on ball bearings by Taylors in 1967. Bells 4, 5 & 6 and the tenor have been quarter turned. The new trebles were cast without canons in 2008.

Notice that the treble of the 6 was heavier than bells 2, 3 and 4. G & J records show frequencies in 1913 as: 1252 1127, 1003, 939, 846 & 752Hz.

This church is now a CC Recognised Ringing Centre, called "The Edgehill Ringing Centre".

Park by the churchyard wall.

Details Of The Bells
1 Taylor, Eayre & Smith Ltd 2008 3-3-12 25.125" 1502.0Hz (F#+26c)
2 Taylor, Eayre & Smith Ltd 2008 4-0-02 26.00" 1409.0Hz (E#+15c)
3 Taylor, Eayre & Smith Ltd 2008 4-0-14 27.00" 1253.0Hz (D#+12c)
4 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 4-1-09 28.75" 1128.5Hz (C#+31c)
5 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 4-3-00 30.00" 999.0Hz (B+20c)
6 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 5-0-07 31.375" 932.5Hz (A#+0c)
7 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1913 8-0-18 35.875" 843.5Hz (G#+27c)
8 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1717 10-0-05 39.875" 752.0Hz (F#+28c)

 

 

Ladbroke, All Saints, Warwickshire

Ladbroke Bells: 5: 13-1-22 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/414589
Postcode: CV47 2DF
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-8:30pm
Service Ringing: 1st Sunday 10:00am-10:30am, Others 8:30am-9:00am
Recommended Pub: The Bell Inn, Banbury Road, Ladbroke, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 2BY.  Tel: 01926 811224
Contact: Mr Keith Archer, Manor Farm House, Church Road, Ladbroke, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 2DF. Tel 01926 810037 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

A nice church in a nice village. Repairs to the old bells were carried out by Mears & Stainbank in 1935 and 1949. The present bells replace a much lighter ring of four, tenor 7-3-2, which comprised one mediaeval bell and three by Henry Bagley dated 1656. The tenor was cast without canons and the rest with. The bells were rehung in the existing single level oak frame by Taylors in April 2000 - so they go well. The canons have now been removed from the front four bells and they all have been quarter turned. A large clock case in the ringing room means augmentation would be difficult and expensive.

As a matter of interest, the bookmakers "Ladbroke's" was named after this village - not a lot of people know that!

The church website states:-

The bells of All Saints’ Ladbroke date back beyond 1552 when 3 bells were hung in the tower. A 4th was added in 1656 and finally the 5th arrived in 1750. By 1872 they were in such a poor state that they could no longer be rung, so in 1873 all 5 were recast into their present state by Taylors of Loughborough

At the time of recasting, the 1st bell (the trebleand lightest at 330kgms) was found to be cracked and bound up with iron. Its wheel and frame were rotten. It bears the motto Cantate Dominum Canticum Novum (Sing to the Lord a new song) and has a rope border ornament.

The 2nd bell, a liitle heavier at 385kgms has old English characters that indicate the casting at 1450. By 1873 it was cracked throughout, its wheel and frame gone and the stock rotten. Its motto reads Sancta Caterina Sona Pro Nobis (Saint Catherine sound for us).

The 3rd bell 432 kgms was also cracked. It had an inscription to Henry Baglee and the notto Domine Salvam Fac Ecclesiam (O Lord make safe the church).

Finally the 5th bell (sic) at 745kgms easily the heaviest, the tenor bell which was added in 1750 had an inscription added at the recasting To The Glory of God and in memory of John Sabi Smith, liet:45th Regiment: who died in Burma August 10 1872.   (This should actually refer to the tenor of 4, not 5)

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 5-3-08 31.375" 1095.0Hz C#-22c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 6-2-14 33.50" 977.0Hz (B-19c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 7-2-14 35.50" 922.0Hz (A#-19c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 9-2-08 38.325" 825.0Hz (G#-12c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1873 13-1-22 43.50" 733.0Hz (F#-16c)

 

 

Leamington Hastings, All Saints, Warwickshire

Leamington Hastings Bells: 5; 15-3-21 in E
Grid Reference: 151/445676
Postcode: CV23 8DY
District Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Friday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: On rota
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village - make your choice dependent on your direction of travel from here
Contact: Peter Reeve, The Outspan, Leamington Hastings, Rugby CV23 8DZ Tel 01926 632400  Click to Email
History Of The Bells

In a nice rural setting this church is well kept by the congregation. The tower contains a lovely ring of 5 bells that go well and are to be recommended as a place to visit. They were originally a heavy four (tenor 22-1-20) until 1851 when the old tenor was scrapped, the metal being used to cast two new trebles, the net cost to the parish being £54. They were retuned and rehung in a cast iron, single level. "H" frame by Taylors in 1936. The treble and second have been quarter turned and the rest one eighth turned.

There is a sanctus bell, dated 1677 weighing 0-2-2 in D that was hung for swing chiming in a light steel frame fixed to the top members of the main bellframe. All the bells in the tower retain their canons. These were a ground floor ring until summer 2000.

Enter by the north door. Limited parking on the road by the church. There is also a church car park to the south of the church, just by the sharp bend in the road. This church is frequently used for concerts, having very good acoustics.

Details Of The Bells
1 C & G Mears, London 1851 8-1-07 35.875" 983.5Hz (B-7c)
2 C & G Mears, London 1851 9-3-21 38.875" 874.0Hz (A-12c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1620 11-0-21 39.25" 818.5Hz (G#-25c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1631 12-0-09 40.50" 736.0Hz (F#-9c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1615 15-3-21 45.375" 655.5Hz (E-10c)

 

 

Leamington Spa, All Saints, Warwickshire

Leamington Spa Bells: 8; 12-3-16 in G
Grid Reference: 151/320654
Postcode: CV31 1EE
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm. Access via Clock Tower door in Priory Terrace
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:45am-10:30am
Recommended Pub: Benjamin Satchwell, 112-114 The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AQ. Te: 01926 883733
Jug and Jester, 11 Bath Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 3AF. Tel: 01926 331820
Somerville Arms, 4 Campion Terrace, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4SX. Tel: 01926 426746
Talbot Inn, 34 Rushmore St, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 1JA. Tel: 01926 424857
Contacts: Douglas Bates, 73 Leicester Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4TD Click to Email
Terence Gardner, 92 Kinross Road, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire,CV32 7EW
History Of The Bells

This church stands out in the middle of the town, just over the river from the council buildings. Once much smaller. it was expanded greatly as the town prospered on its Spa. There has been much restoration of the Spa Centre recently. The church is large and Victorian and has been adapted slightly to provide a room at the west end. It is worth looking round prior to ringing.

At the 1901 restoration a new tower was built and the the bells were augmented by adding a treble and tenor and recasting the existing 4th. The frame and fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1902, restored in 1976-7 by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry who fitted new cast iron headstocks to bells 7 & 8 and rehung all the bells on ball bearings. The bells all have canons and the older ones have been quarter turned.

The church was previously improved in 1825-6 when a new tower was built - and six bells installed. Further improvements from the 1840s were carried out under the grand schemes of the Rev. Dr. Craig, who in 1843 obtained an estimate for a 33cwt ten to hang in the central tower he intended for the church, c.£1,200. The observer can spot easily that this tower only reached roof level.

From about 1860 until 1889 the bells were hung in a temporary wooden belfry at the side of the church. They were afterwards stored in the crypt for 12 years until being rehung in 1901. There is a clock bell (8½cwt) in the NW tower. It is by Hugh Watts II, 1628. It was one of the original ring of four, displaced in 1826 when the new ring of six was put up. It went to Christ Church, but came back to replace the 1848 clock bell (16-0-13) in 1957. The entrance is inside the church, the door to enter the church itself depends on the time of your visit and could be at the west or down the north side of the church. There is a door bell at the base of the tower you can ring for entry on a practice night.

A busy town it is best during the daytime to find a pay and display car park rather than attempting to find a free space.

Details Of The Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank, London 1901 4-0-10 26.00"
2 Thomas Mears II, London 1826 4-0-17 27.00"
3 Thomas Mears II, London 1826 4-3-15 28.50"
4 Thomas Mears II, London 1826 5-2-21 31.00"
5 Mears & Stainbank, London 1901 7-0-14 34.00"
6 Thomas Mears II, London 1826 7-2-14 35.00"
7 Thomas Mears II, London 1826 9-2-19 38.50"
8 Mears & Stainbank, London 1901 12-3-16 41.50"

 

 

 

Leamington Spa, St Peter (Roman Catholic), Warwickshire

Leamington Spa (RC) Bells: 8; 16-0-4 in F. Rung for special occasions only
OS Grid Reference: 151/316657
Postcode: CV32 5BB
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: Special Occasions
Recommended Pub: Benjamin Satchwell, 112-114 The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AQ. Te: 01926 883733
Jug and Jester, 11 Bath Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 3AF. Tel: 01926 331820
Somerville Arms, 4 Campion Terrace, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4SX. Tel: 01926 426746
Talbot Inn, 34 Rushmore St, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 1JA. Tel: 01926 424857
Contacts: Simon E Adams 7, Farnol Road, Yardley, Birmingham B26 2AE. Tel: 0121 786 1242 or 07969182277 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

In Dormer Place, you can see this church from the steps at the west of the parish church, but on the other side of the river. Of brick construction, the tower is only connected to the main church via a low entrance corridor and as the bells are hung right at the top of it they are extremely difficult to ring due to the large amount tower movement. This can be clearly felt in the tower, even at its lower stages when the bells are rung. This is a pity as they are a magnificent sounding ring of bells.

Perhaps there will be a solution at stage in the future, but at present these bells are only rung on important church occasions, around once a month. Experienced ringers find these bells very difficult to handle, as one bell being allow to "drop", for instance, can affect other bells, and therefore the inexperienced are, regrettably but understandibly, not encouraged to ring here.

The tower was not built when the church was opened in 1864. It was eventually built in 1877-8, at the cost of Miss France who contributed generously to the building of the church itself. It is within the Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham. The current bells replace a ring of six (tenor 14-1-8) cast by William Blews of Birmingham in 1877. The Blews bells cost £562 and were in poor order by 1903. The order for recasting them by Taylors was in hand towards the end of 1905. Within a matter of weeks before the planned dedication on November 16th, the Parish ordered 2 trebles to make up the eight. The works, apparently, had only 15 days to complete them! They are hung in a two tier frame, (bells 1, 2 & 5 above). The tenor was rehung on ball bearings by Taylors in 1931. They are a fairly tight squeeze. These bells have been mainly chimed (rather than rung) since an Ellacombe chiming apparatus was installed by Taylors in 1955.

An angelus bell was installed in 2005, the gift of Fr. David Cawley, originally cast for Mount St Bernard Abbey in Leicester. It was displaced by the present massive two bells in 1939.

The following article is contemporary with the casting of the first ring

The New Peal Of Bells. Reported in the Birmingham Daily Post, The Birmingham Daily Gazette, and the Sutton & Erdington News (Oct 31st 1878 & Nov 2nd 1878)

CONSECRATION OF THE BELLS.
ST. PETER'S CHURCH, LEAMINGTON.

The ceremony of the blessing of the new peal of bells which are about to be erected in the tower of this church (recently completed from the designs of Mr. Henry Clutton of London), was celebrated on Wednesday afternoon (30th Oct) by the Hon. and Rev. Wm. CLIFFORD D.D., Bishop of Clifton, deputed by Dr. ULLATHORNE, Bishop of Birmingham, assisted by Cannon O'SULLIVAN, Vicar General of the Diocese of Birmingham, Cannon JEFFRIES of Leamington, Cannon LONGMAN, the Rev. V. CAVE and other clergy.

The bells were founded by Messers Wm. Blews of Birmingham, and they form a sister peal to that recently erected by them at Erdington Abbey.

The weight of the peal is around 58cwt and they cost £562, with £120 for the massive strong woodwork from which they hang.

The bells are cast from Lake Superior copper and refined tin, and they are considered very sweet and powerful in tone.

(By 1903 these bells were out of order.)

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 4-3-15 26.625" 1444.0Hz (F#-43c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 5-0-11 27.625" 1359.0Hz (E#-47c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 5-2-03 29.50" 1210.0Hz (D#-49c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 6-0-27 31.50" 1081.0Hz (C#-44c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 7-1-18 34.00" 961.0Hz (B-48c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 8-0-00 35.50" 904.0Hz (A+47c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 11-1-26 39.50" 809.5Hz (G#-45c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1905 16-0-04 44.50" 720.0Hz F#-47c)
(or F-2c
Old Concert Pitch)

 

A video by Paul Kibblewhite showing the effects of tower movement.
Note how the gudgeon moves in and out of the plain bearing housing.
Also by Paul. Watch the bottle of water at 2'35".
 
 
 

Leek Wootton, All Saints, Warwickshire

Leek Wootton Bells: 6; 7-3-4 in A - Anticlockwise
OS Grid Reference: 151/289687
Postcode: CV35 7RT
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording: The Ring of 5
The Ring of 6
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-8:30pm
Service Ringing Sunday 9:00am-9:30am
Recommended Pub: The Saxon Mill, Coventry Road, Guys Cliffe, Warwick, CV34 5YN Tel: 01926 492255
Contact: Mr M Sayers, 36 The Hamlet, Leek Wootton, Warwick CV35 6QW
History Of The Bells

Two trebles were added to the existing three bells by John Briant in 1793, the same year as he provided a ring of four for the nearby church at Ashow. These were hung in a wooden frame (anti-clockwise circle) that is contemporary with the tower and made by William Steel Senior in 1791-2. Fittings were replaced by J.E. Groves of Birmingham, 1921 and ball bearings were supplied by Taylors in 1966. Taylors also replaced the headstock on the third in 1983. The canons were removed from all the bells and the given weights of the trebles, prior to the recent augmentation scheme, are those before their removal. All the bells had been quarter turned, the tenor, a listed bell, a further eighth turned.

The bells ring quite well, but are a little loud in the ringing room. The previous tenor is one of the oldest bells in the Diocese. Chris Pickford's records have the tenor at 7cwt, but Dove suggested it was 8cwt. In fact, both were over-estimations when the bell was weight accurately. In June 2015 the bells were rehung in the existing frame and augmented to 6, an extra frame for one bell being added. The new treble was cast in October 2014 and the other bells taken to the foundry in January 2015.  The existing 2nd became the 3rd of 6 in the new frame, which is above the existing frame; the treble was moved into the pit of the current second and the new treble into the pit of the existing treble.  As you can see from the table, the previously published weights to vary from those measured on receipt at the foundry. The tenor was retired to become a clock bell and the former 7th from Great St Mary's church in Cambridge was purchased as a replacement for it.,

The tuned weights and frequencies are in the table. The change to the previous tenor is due to increased accuracy of measurement.

This church is easy to spot, especially from the North on the A46, just before the Warwick turn off as it is built on a slight hill. It is on the main road through the village. You get to the church via a small road just to the north of the church. You will find a small church car park at the east end of the church. Entry is via a door on the south side of the tower.

Details Of The Bells
 

"Published

Weight"

"As recieved
Weight"
Tuned
Weight
Diameter Previous
Frequency
Previous
Note
Tuned
Freqency
Tuned
Note
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 2014 ------  ------  3-1-24 24.50"  ------ ------ 1494.0Hz (F#+16c)
2 John Briant, Hertford 1793 3-3-24 3-3-06 3-3-00 26.125" 1344.0Hz (E+33c) 1331.7Hz (E+17c)
3 John Briant, Hertford 1793 4-0-18 3-3-23 3-3-10 27.625" 1231.0Hz (D#-19c) 1189.6Hz (D+22c)
4 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 4¾cwt 4-0-17 3-3-15 28.00" 1149.5Hz C#+63c) 1122.4Hz (C#+21c)
5 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 5½cwt 5-1-00 5-0-07 30.75" 1009.5Hz (B+38c) 997.6Hz (B+17c) 
6 John Taylor & Co Loughborough 1923 8-0-10 ------  7-3-04 34.875" ------  ------ 887.3Hz (A+14c)
Clock John De Stafford, Leicester c.1360 7cwt 6-1-16 Untuned 33.875" 888.0Hz (A+16c) 891.5Hz (A+22c) 

 

 

Lighthorne, St Laurence, Warwickshire

Lighthorne Bells: 6; 5-2-6 in B
Grid Reference: 151/335560
Postcode: CV35 0AS
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Thursday 7:15pm-8:45pm
Service Ringing: 5:30-6.00pm (1st), 10:00-10.30am (4th)  (Check)
Recommended Pub: The Antelope Inn, The Green, Lighthorne, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35 0BX. Tel: 01926 651188
Contact: Sally Dick, Elmhurst, Church Lane, Lighthorne, CV35 0AR Tel: 01926 650078 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

An old frame (probably 1773-4 with an extension of 1890 for the additional treble, the existing 1774 Matthew Bagley bell also being recast) was strengthened by insertion of supporting steel work in 1935 and 1963. Fittings by Llewellins & James, 1890. The third cracked in April 1898, but was not recast until 1913, the 1890 fittings being reused.

By the end of the 1900s this was a country church with a ring of 4 reputedly in a not too good condition, the treble having a "wormy" headstock. Ringable with a little care might have been the best way to put it. All this changed in 2006. The back 4 were retuned and hung in a 6 bell grillage. The two trebles were added later the same year. All now hang in a new galvanised steel fabricated frame. The bells have tuned up quite well, the third being originally somewhat flat of what it should have been. The new treble bell is a Coventry DG Centenary bell. The third/5th is a recast of a Henry Bagley of Chacombe bell, 1679. The tenor bell is listed. Bells 3, 4 and 6 have been one-eighth turned and the 5th turned by an unspecified amount.

Two peals were rung on the old four here, on 10 August 1974, (6000 Minimus in 6 Methods in 2 Hours & 55 Minutes), and 11 January 1975, (7248 Minimus in 3 Methods in 3 Hours & 40 Minutes. They were part of a competition between two bands in the country to get the longest peal of minimus. The latter is still the Coventry Guild record number of changes to a peal on tower bells! The six were first pealed on 19th January 2008 in memory of Sir Adam Butler, the inspiration behind the restoration and augmentation project.

Towards the edge of the main part of the village, to find the church you head west from the junction outside "The Antelope Inn".

Details Of The Bells
1 Whitechapel, London 2006 2-2-15 23.00" 1641.0Hz (G#-21c) 
2 Whitechapel, London 2006 2-3-01 24.00" 1473.0Hz (F#-8c)
3 Llewellins & James, Bristol 1890 2-3-10 26.125" 1317.5Hz (E-1c) 
4 Llewellins & James, Bristol 1890 3-1-09 27.375" 1234.0Hz (D#-15c) 
5 Bond & Son, Burford 1913 4-1-01 29.125 1102.0Hx (C#-11c)
6 Worcester Foundry c.1410 5-2-06 31.94" 985.0Hz (B-5c)

 

 

Lillington, St Mary Magdalene, Warwickshire

Lillington Bells: 8; 9-0-18 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/325673
Postcode: CV32 7RG
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:00am-9:30am   6:00pm-6:30pm (1st & 3rd)
Recommended Pub: Several nearby, particularly in Leamington Spa Centre -
Benjamin Satchwell, 112-114 The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AQ. Te: 01926 883733
Jug and Jester, 11 Bath Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 3AF. Tel: 01926 331820
Somerville Arms, 4 Campion Terrace, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4SX. Tel: 01926 426746
Talbot Inn, 34 Rushmore St, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 1JA. Tel: 01926 424857
Contacts: Roger Howes, 9 Vicarage Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 7RH Click to Email
Richard Taulbut, 9 The Greenways, Leamington Spa, CV32 Tel: 01926 450977
History Of The Bells

Lillington has gradually become almost a suburb of Leamington Spa through the infilling of the open space between the towns by housing. You can miss the church if you are careless. It is on the left of the main road as you are driving away from Leamington Spa.

There were only three bells until 1927. The frame is of Pynkadoe, an African hardwood, with the exception of pit for the 4th which is hung on metal frames (to allow access from the staircase) and the third which has a metal X shaped gate end. This and the fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1927. The back three retain their canons, whilst the front five were cast with flat tops. A pleasant ring of bells. The front five are interesting in that they fall within the period of time when Whitechapel were beginning to adopt "Simpson Tuning".

Work was carried out in early 2007 by Nicholson's, headstocks to 1, 2, 6, 7 & 8 being replaced, the back 3 being canon retainers, and the clapper throws evened out.

Details Of The Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank, London 1927 3-3-16 25.00"
2 Mears & Stainbank, London 1927 3-3-24 26.00"
3 Mears & Stainbank, London 1927 4-2-24 26.00"
4 Mears & Stainbank, London 1927 5-1-27 28.00"
5 Mears & Stainbank, London 1927 5-3-01 32.00"
6 Thomas Harrys, London c.1480 7-0-20 34.00"
7 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1625 8-0-22 36.00"
8 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1675 9-0-18 38.50"

 

 

Long Compton, SS Peter & Paul, Warwickshire

Long Compton Bells: 6; 12-0-22 in F
Postcode: CV36 5JJ
Grid Reference: 151/287330
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm (1st, 3rd, & 5th Only, 2 & 4 at Whichford)
Service Ringing: Not Known
Recommended Pub: The Red Lion Main Street, Long Compton, Shipston on Stour, Warwickshire, CV36 5JS Tel: 01608 684221.
Contact: Trevor Hobday, The Old Barn, Main Street, Long Compton, Shipston on Stour CV36 5JS Tel:- 01608 684818  Email
History Of The Bells

One of many very pleasant villages in South Warwickshire, Long Compton has a very well cared for church.

The bells were originally a complete ring of five or six by James (father) and Richard (son) Keene, only the two trebles remaining. The treble is the earliest bell with Richard Keene's initials, (the second having his father's) on it. No other bell has come to light that can be attributed to him before 1656. It can be speculated that the father was merely allowing the son put his name on the one or more of the bells; as did the Rudhalls at Tredington.

They were last retuned and rehung in a new frame by Taylors in 1956-7, but reusing the fittings provided by Bond in 1924 when he recast two bells and rehung the bells in a new frame with new fittings. The third and fifth were previously Henry Bagley III bells of 1731 at which time the two Keene bells were retained and four bells were cast/recast, one of which, now the fourth, subsequently required recasting in 1823. The tenor is nearer to F (F+31c) than the normally quoted F#. The bells go well and are well worth a visit.

It is also worth noting the pretty Sanctus bell turret over the chancel arch, containing an ancient bell. It is of 16th century manufacture, 13.625" in diameter, by an unknown founder. Revd H Tilley noted on his visit in 1879, revisited by H B Walters in 1907, that the belfry is "dirty and neglected" and that the "third is cracked".

Park on the main road by the church. You will then walk through the thatched Lych Gate that is unusual in that is has an upstairs room as part of it. The tower entrance is on the south side of the church.

Note that Little Compton almost next door, (their bells having been recently rehung), is in the county of Warwickshire but NOT in the Diocese of Coventry.

Details Of The Bells
1 James & Richard Keene, Woodstock 1652 5-0-22 29.00" 1195.0Hz (D+30c)
2 James & Richard Keene, Woodstock 1652 5-3-25 31.75" 1066.0Hz (C-32c)
3 Thomas Bond, Burford 1924 5-2-24 32.125" 947.0Hz (Bb+27c)
4 W & J Taylor, Oxford 1823 6-3-22 34.75" 895.0Hz (A+29c)
5 Thomas Bond, Burford 1924 7-2-18 36.875" 796.0Hz (G+26c)
6 Henry Bagley III, Chacombe 1731 12-0-22 41.375" 711.0Hz (F+31c)

 

 

Long Itchington, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire

Long Itchington Bells: 4; 8½cwt in A UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/412651
Postcode: CV47 9PN
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Duck on the Pond, The Green, Long Itchington, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 9Qj. Tel: 01926 811177
Contact: Revd Tim Britton, The Vicarage, Leamington Rd, Long Itchington, Southam CV47 9PL
History Of The Bells

This church has a truncated spire, the upper stages having been removed after the steeple was badly damaged in a storm in 1762. The bells are hung in an old oak frame of c.1630, set diagonally in the tower. They are hung for deadrope ringing only, (full-circle, but with no handstroke pull), and have been long derelict. They are all maiden bells. The fittings are of local manufacture and appear to have been made in the early nineteenth century.

Tilley and Walters state that there were "6 bells" here in 1750. They also suggest that the bells were ringable at the time of publication, 1910.

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1670 5cwt 28.00" 1165.5Hz (D-14c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1625 5½cwt 30.50" 1107.0Hz (C#-3c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1649 7cwt 32.00" 1035.0Hz (B+81c)
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1636 8½cwt 35.00" 887.5Hz (A+15c)

 

 

Mancetter, St Peter, Warwickshire

Mancetter Bells: 5; 20½cwt in E - Anticlockwise
Grid Reference: 140/320967
Postcode: CV9 1NJ
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 7.30pm-9.00pm (1st only - Check)
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:30am & 6:00pm-6:30pm (Check)
Recommended Pub: The Pough Inn, Mancetter Road, Mancetter, Warwickshire CV9 1NH. Tel: 01827 711436
(Closed Mon/Tues - Blue Boar is on the same road.)
Contact: Sharon and Keith Whitehead or Andrew Ball, 1 Ivor Road, Atherstone, Warwickshire, CV9 1NB, Tel: 01827 705117
History Of The Bells

This is a well kept church just on the south-west side of Atherstone. The tower is clearly visible on the left of the road from the A5 going towards the town. The A5 being part of the Warwickshire/ Leicestershire border means the tower with a spire close to the right side of the road is Witherley, only a few hundred yards from St Peter's, but in a different county and Diocese. There is a church car park up the road between the church and the next door pub. Entrance is via a door on the south side of the tower, the opposite side to the car park.

The bells go well, having had some attention recently from Eayre and Smith and a ring beam being put into strengthen the tower. The tenor was rehung on a new headstock in 2004/5.

A wonderful belfry with five bells of great beauty and interest. The frame is by Thomas Eayre of Kettering, at a cost of £76 in 1751, there being a still unfilled pit for a treble. Fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1928, costing £128. All the bells, which have each been quarter turned, retain their canons and are, with the exception of the third, listed.

Details Of The Bells
1 Thomas Hancox, Walsall 1633 8cwt 36.00" 962.0Hz B-46c
2 Leicester Foundry C15th 9cwt 36.93" 862.0Hz A-36c
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1641 10cwt 39.50" 805.5Hz G#-53c
4 John Hose, Leicester c.1350 15cwt 44.75" 721.5Hz F#-44c
5 George Oldfield I, Nottingham 1647 20½cwt 44.75" 640.5Hz E-50c

 

 

Marton, St Esprit, Warwickshire

Marton Bells: 3; 9cwt in F# - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/406689
Postcode: CV23 9RL
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The local on the main road has been converted to an Indian Restaurant. Look for a pub nearby if this does not suit you,
Contact: Revd Tim Britton, The Vicarage, Leamington Rd, Long Itchington, Southam CV47 9PL Tel. 01926 812518
History Of The Bells

These bells are unringable due to tatty wheels and heavily-worn un-quarter-turned bells. Frame & fittings are by Watson of Napton - 1831. They are all maiden bells, retaining their canons and cast in crown staples. They only just survived a fire in 1879. There is a chiming manual in the first floor of the tower, made by the Vicar's Warden, Thomas Walker, in 1919.

Details Of The Bells
1 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1624 6cwt 32.50" 937.5Hz (A#+10c)
2 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1623 7½cwt 35.625"  861.5Hz (G#+63c)
3 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1616 9cwt 38.125" 748.0Hz (F#+19c)

 

 

Meriden, St Lawrence, West Midlands

Meriden Bells: 5; 7-0-1 in B - Anticlockwise - ringing restricted
Grid Reference: 140/252817
Postcode: CV7 7HX
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Bulls Head, Main Road, Meriden, Coventry, CV7 7NN. Tel: 01676 523798
Contact: Steve Tibbetts: 4 Whitefield Close, Westwood Heath, Coventry, CV4 8GY. Tel: 07726951140 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

In a pretty location on the edge of the village, near to the A45, this church is part of a village with the unique attraction of a war memorial to bicyclists. It also claims to be in the dead centre of England. The church is worth a view. There might have been a church here pre-conquest, though nothing remains. There is some Norman work in the chancel and at the west end of the nave. A lot of the church was built in C14 and C15. It was twice restored in C19 and again in 1924. Recent work has included the re-roofing of the nave and aisles in 2008 and a thorough restoration of the tower in 2009-11.

An old mid to late C16 wooden frame, originally for four bells, with fittings by Day of Eye, 1897. The three trebles are among the 14 known bells by this founder. He was a brassfounder by trade, but cast some bells between 1736 and his death in 1744. It is thought likely that he took over some of the foundry plant of Richard Sanders of Bromsbrove, who died in 1737. The fourth bell was cast to replace a bell that had been missing for about a century. The tenor is an old bell, decorated with around 22 impressions of coins that are somewhat indistinct. It is tentatively dated at about 1500AD. It is slightly flat in relation to the other bells in the ring and is actually nearer to Bb than B, but the ring is effectively in B.

All bar the Warner bell are listed and all have canons; in the case of the Warner bell they are "Doncaster". The third and the tenor have been quarter turned. All five bells are "maiden" castings.

The state of the tower was one reason why the bells were not allowed to be rung for several years from around the millennium. This was addressed and a great deal of work was carried out on the tower. A recent inspection showed that the installation was in reasonable condition, requiring some remedial work to allow them to be rung. This work has been done by the Coventry DG T&B Committee and now limited ringing is allowed. The bells were formerly a ground floor ring, but are now rung from a new gallery that was very sympathetically added in 1989.

The church is near the Coventry end of the village and can be found from the A45 westbound by following the sign to Millisons Wood. This junction was formerly signposted as Meriden, but a new junction further along has been added as the main entry point to the village. (This new junction is the exit that will have to be used by Coventry bound traffic, then through the village) Look for Church Lane, opposite The Queen's Head public house. Entry is via the south door of the church. Limited parking is available on the road by the south side of the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 William Brooke, Bromsgrove 1740 3cwt 25.188" 1497.5Hz (F#+20c)
2 William Brooke, Bromsgrove 1740 4½cwt 27.625" 1318.5Hz (E+0c)
3 William Brooke, Bromsgrove 1740 4¾cwt 28.50" 1236.5Hz (D#-11c)
4 John Warner, London 1897 5¾cwt 31.00" 1079.5Hz (C#-46c)
5 Unknown C14th 7cwt 33.00" 954.0Hz (B-61c)

 

 

Monks Kirby, St Edith, Warwickshire

Monks Kirby Bells: 8; 24-2-7 in D
Grid Reference: 140/463831
Postcode: CV23 0RE
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:45pm-9:15pm
Service Ringing: On rota - check with ringers
Recommended Pub: Denbigh Arms, Main Street, Monks Kirby, CV23 0QX. Tel: 01788 832303  or
The Bell Inn, Bell Lane, Monks Kirby, CV23 0QY. Tel: 01788 832352
Contact: Mrs Gillian Stocks Peter Hall, Peter Hall Lane, Coombefields, Coventry CV2 2DR Click to Email
History Of The Bells

Found just off the Fosse Way this is a very impressive church that dominates the village. As its name implies it used to be a monastery, but Henry VIII saw to that! The parish church is what remains, there being archaeological evidence of further buildings such as cloisters. The entrance is inside, through the South Door, but linger to look at the church itself before climbing the stairs. Locally the church is often known as St Editha, as is Tamworth, for instance.

The bells themselves are magnificent and should be on any itinerary of this area. The then anticlockwise 6 were hung in a new, clockwise, cast iron lowside frame with new fittings by Taylors, 1921. At the same time all 6 existing bells were quarter turned. The bells had been previously rehung by John Over of Rugby in 1795. In the mid-1970s everything was getting in a pretty neglected state and the bells were seldom rung, but they have overhauled since the tower has had an active band. The seventh was previously cast in 1707 by Abraham Rudall, but required recasting some 34 years later.

The Denbigh Arms opposite the church is not just somewhere to park your car. It has nice food and a good selection of real ale!

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1921 6-0-20 30.375" 1158.0Hz (D-28c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1921 7-3-00 32.625" 1095.0Hz (C#-22c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1640 8-0-17 34.44" 974.0Hz (B-24c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 9-0-23 37.06" 870.0Hz (A-20c)
5 Worcester foundry c.1400 12-3-10 41.375" 775.0Hz (G-20c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1623 16-0-16 44.25" 730.0Hz (F#-24c)
7 Thomas Eayre, Kettering 1741 19-2-17 48.25" 651.0Hz (E-22c)
8 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1618 24-2-07 52.375" 579.5Hz (D-23c)

 

 

In the Ringing Room