Lighthorne, St Laurence, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 5-2-6 in B|
|Practice Night:||Thursday 7:15pm-8:45pm|
|Service Ringing:||5:30-6.00pm (1st), 10:00-10.30am (4th) (Check)|
|Recommended Pub:||The Antelope Inn, The Green, Lighthorne, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35 0BX. Tel: 01926 651188|
|Contact:||Sally Dick, Elmhurst, Church Lane, Lighthorne, CV35 0AR Tel: 01926 650078 Click to Email|
History Of The Bells
An old frame (probably 1773-4 with an extension of 1890 for the additional treble, the existing 1774 Matthew Bagley bell also being recast) was strengthened by insertion of supporting steel work in 1935 and 1963. Fittings by Llewellins & James, 1890. The third cracked in April 1898, but was not recast until 1913, the 1890 fittings being reused.
By the end of the 1900s this was a country church with a ring of 4 reputedly in a not too good condition, the treble having a "wormy" headstock. Ringable with a little care might have been the best way to put it. All this changed in 2006. The back 4 were retuned and hung in a 6 bell grillage. The two trebles were added later the same year. All now hang in a new galvanised steel fabricated frame. The bells have tuned up quite well, the third being originally somewhat flat of what it should have been. The new treble bell is a Coventry DG Centenary bell. The third/5th is a recast of a Henry Bagley of Chacombe bell, 1679. The tenor bell is listed. Bells 3, 4 and 6 have been one-eighth turned and the 5th turned by an unspecified amount.
Two peals were rung on the old four here, on 10 August 1974, (6000 Minimus in 6 Methods in 2 Hours & 55 Minutes), and 11 January 1975, (7248 Minimus in 3 Methods in 3 Hours & 40 Minutes. They were part of a competition between two bands in the country to get the longest peal of minimus. The latter is still the Coventry Guild record number of changes to a peal on tower bells! The six were first pealed on 19th January 2008 in memory of Sir Adam Butler, the inspiration behind the restoration and augmentation project.
Towards the edge of the main part of the village, to find the church you head west from the junction outside "The Antelope Inn".
Details Of The Bells
|3||Llewellins & James, Bristol||1890||2-3-10||26.125"||1317.5Hz||(E-1c)|
|4||Llewellins & James, Bristol||1890||3-1-09||27.375"||1234.0Hz||(D#-15c)|
|5||Bond & Son, Burford||1913||4-1-01||29.125||1102.0Hx||(C#-11c)|