Leamington Spa, All Saints, Warwickshire
|Bells:||8; 12-3-16 in G|
|Practice Night:||Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm. Access via Clock Tower door in Priory Terrace|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 9:45am-10:30am|
|Recommended Pub:||Benjamin Satchwell, 112-114 The Parade, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4AQ. Te: 01926 883733 |
Jug and Jester, 11 Bath Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 3AF. Tel: 01926 331820
Somerville Arms, 4 Campion Terrace, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4SX. Tel: 01926 426746
Talbot Inn, 34 Rushmore St, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 1JA. Tel: 01926 424857
|Contacts:||Douglas Bates, 73 Leicester Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV32 4TD Click to Email |
Terence Gardner, 92 Kinross Road, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire,CV32 7EW
History Of The Bells
This church stands out in the middle of the town, just over the river from the council buildings. Once much smaller. it was expanded greatly as the town prospered on its Spa. There has been much restoration of the Spa Centre recently. The church is large and Victorian and has been adapted slightly to provide a room at the west end. It is worth looking round prior to ringing.
At the 1901 restoration a new tower was built and the the bells were augmented by adding a treble and tenor and recasting the existing 4th. The frame and fittings are by Mears & Stainbank, 1902, restored in 1976-7 by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry who fitted new cast iron headstocks to bells 7 & 8 and rehung all the bells on ball bearings. The bells all have canons and the older ones have been quarter turned.
The church was previously improved in 1825-6 when a new tower was built - and six bells installed. Further improvements from the 1840s were carried out under the grand schemes of the Rev. Dr. Craig, who in 1843 obtained an estimate for a 33cwt ten to hang in the central tower he intended for the church, c.£1,200. The observer can spot easily that this tower only reached roof level.
From about 1860 until 1889 the bells were hung in a temporary wooden belfry at the side of the church. They were afterwards stored in the crypt for 12 years until being rehung in 1901. There is a clock bell (8½cwt) in the NW tower. It is by Hugh Watts II, 1628. It was one of the original ring of four, displaced in 1826 when the new ring of six was put up. It went to Christ Church, but came back to replace the 1848 clock bell (16-0-13) in 1957. The entrance is inside the church, the door to enter the church itself depends on the time of your visit and could be at the west or down the north side of the church. There is a door bell at the base of the tower you can ring for entry on a practice night.
A busy town it is best during the daytime to find a pay and display car park rather than attempting to find a free space.
Details Of The Bells
|1||Mears & Stainbank, London||1901||4-0-10||26.00"|
|2||Thomas Mears II, London||1826||4-0-17||27.00"|
|3||Thomas Mears II, London||1826||4-3-15||28.50"|
|4||Thomas Mears II, London||1826||5-2-21||31.00"|
|5||Mears & Stainbank, London||1901||7-0-14||34.00"|
|6||Thomas Mears II, London||1826||7-2-14||35.00"|
|7||Thomas Mears II, London||1826||9-2-19||38.50"|
|8||Mears & Stainbank, London||1901||12-3-16||41.50"|