Ladbroke, All Saints, Warwickshire
|Bells:||5: 13-1-22 in F#|
|Practice Night:||Tuesday 7:30pm-8:30pm|
|Service Ringing:||1st Sunday 10:00am-10:30am, Others 8:30am-9:00am|
|Recommended Pub:||The Bell Inn, Banbury Road, Ladbroke, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 2BY. Tel: 01926 811224|
|Contact:||Mr Keith Archer, Manor Farm House, Church Road, Ladbroke, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 2DF. Tel 07484212863 Click to Email|
History Of The Bells
A nice church in a nice village. Repairs to the old bells were carried out by Mears & Stainbank in 1935 and 1949. The present bells replace a much lighter ring of four, tenor 7-3-2, which comprised one mediaeval bell and three by Henry Bagley dated 1656. The tenor was cast without canons and the rest with. The bells were rehung in the existing single level oak frame by Taylors in April 2000 - so they go well. The canons have now been removed from the front four bells and they all have been quarter turned. A large clock case in the ringing room means augmentation would be difficult and expensive.
As a matter of interest, the bookmakers "Ladbroke's" was named after this village - not a lot of people know that!
The church website states:-
The bells of All Saints’ Ladbroke date back beyond 1552 when 3 bells were hung in the tower. A 4th was added in 1656 and finally the 5th arrived in 1750. By 1872 they were in such a poor state that they could no longer be rung, so in 1873 all 5 were recast into their present state by Taylors of Loughborough
At the time of recasting, the 1st bell (the trebleand lightest at 330kgms) was found to be cracked and bound up with iron. Its wheel and frame were rotten. It bears the motto Cantate Dominum Canticum Novum (Sing to the Lord a new song) and has a rope border ornament.
The 2nd bell, a liitle heavier at 385kgms has old English characters that indicate the casting at 1450. By 1873 it was cracked throughout, its wheel and frame gone and the stock rotten. Its motto reads Sancta Caterina Sona Pro Nobis (Saint Catherine sound for us).
The 3rd bell 432 kgms was also cracked. It had an inscription to Henry Baglee and the notto Domine Salvam Fac Ecclesiam (O Lord make safe the church).
Finally the 5th bell (sic) at 745kgms easily the heaviest, the tenor bell which was added in 1750 had an inscription added at the recasting To The Glory of God and in memory of John Sabi Smith, liet:45th Regiment: who died in Burma August 10 1872. (This should actually refer to the tenor of 4, not 5)
Details Of The Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1873||5-3-08||31.375"||1095.0Hz||C#-22c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1873||6-2-14||33.50"||977.0Hz||(B-19c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1873||7-2-14||35.50"||922.0Hz||(A#-19c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1873||9-2-08||38.325"||825.0Hz||(G#-12c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1873||13-1-22||43.50"||733.0Hz||(F#-16c)|