Napton on the Hill, St Lawrence, Warwickshire

Napton on the Hill Bells: 6; 11-0-11 in F (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/463612
Postcode: CV47 8NW
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Tuesday 7.30pm-9.00pm
Service Ringing: 10.00am-10.30am (1st-4th)
5th Sunday ringing times variable - please check with correspondent
Recommended Pub: The King's Head, Southam Road, Napton on the Hill, Warwickshire, CV47 8NG. Tel: 01926 812202
The Folly, Folly Lane, Napton on the Hill, Warwickshire, CV47 8NZ. Tel: 01926 815185
Contacts: Mrs M Ingman, "Greystones", Butt Hill, Napton on the Hill, Southam CV47 8NE Tel: 01926 812041 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

Unsurprisingly, given the name, this church is on the top of a hill but can be missed - look for the signpost pointing up a small road to the church. There is a fairly easy going ground floor six with an outside tower entrance on the south side.

The Russell bells are the remnants of a complete ring of five put in place shortly after the upper stages of the tower were rebuilt. The tenor was recast and the bells rehung by Warners in 1874 at a cost of £100. Whitechapel restored the bells in 1958, installing a "built-up" lowside frame for six. They added a treble five years later. The fourth bell cracked in 2002 and was welded by Soundweld and rehung on a new canon retaining headstock by Eayre & Smith. The tenor has "Doncaster" canons and the other old bells retain their canons. All five older bells have been quarter turned. The treble was cast with a flat top.

At some point in the past, the local ringers do not know when or why, the arch in the east wall of the tower was bricked up, meaning that there is no direct access any more from the church to the ground floor ringing room. One wonders if it was to keep the parishioners in or the ringers out!

There is room for a few cars by the churchyard gate. On one approach road to the village there is a fierce hump-backed bridge over the canal - drive slowly!

Details Of The Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank 1963 3-3-9 27.625"
2 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 4¼cwt 29.252
3 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 5cwt 31.25"
4 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 6-2-23 33.25"
5 Thomas Russell, Wootton 1731 8cwt 36.75"
6 John Warner & Sons, London 1874 11-0-11 41.00"

 

 

Newbold on Avon, St Botolph, Warwickshire

Newbold on Avon Bells: 10; 12-0-1 in F
Grid Reference: 140/487771
Postcode: CV21 1HN
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm (by arrangement only)
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:45am; 6:00pm-6:25pm (Not all. Please confirm first)
Recommended Pub: The Barley Mow, 64 Main Street, Newbold, Rugby, Warwickshire CV21 1HW. Tel: 01788 544174
The Boat Inn, 62 Main Street, Newbold on Avon, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 1HW. Tel :07388 537999
Contacts: Mrs Val Foster, 32 Mulberry Road, Bilton, Rugby CV22 7TD Tel: 01788 814489 Click to Email
John Slack, 74 Chapel Street, Long Lawford, Rugby CV23 9BE Tel: 01788 570899
History Of The Bells

Set on the main road through the village this church is right beside the old route of the Oxford canal. Though re-routed in the 19th century you can still see the original course to the west of the church. The church itself is pleasant and it contains the only ring of 10 in the Rugby Deanery.

The existing four bells were recast into 5 at the expense of the parish and a further treble added at the cost of the vicar in 1792 at a cost of £91. The canons were removed and the bells retuned and turned in 1929.

The bells were a ground floor ring of 6 up to 1977. They were rehung with a new frame and fittings by Taylors in 1929, but have since been augmented twice first to 8, some thirty years after this was first proposed, and then to 10 and, in between, moved upstairs. The augmentation to 8 necessitated an additional frame above the main one to hold bells three and four. The parish bought two bells from Everton cum Tetworth in Bedfordshire with a combined weight of 6½cwt to use in the casting of the 1977 trebles. The upper frame was extended on augmentation to 10. Bells 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 & 10 are in the lower frame and the others in the upper frame.

Nicholson's carried out work to the bells to improve their odd-struckness in 2005/6.

The tenor's frequency equates to F#+8c and is therefore not in F as has been recorded in Dove up to 2007.

There is limited parking by the churchyard gate and the entrance is on the north side of the tower.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 3-2-16 23.50" 1874.0Hz (A#+9c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 3-2-22 24.25" 1668.0Hz (G#+7c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1977 3-3-18 25.375" 1488.0Hz (F#+9c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1977 4-2-18 26.325" 1402.0Hz (E#+6c)
5 John Briant, Hertford 1792 5-0-26 29.50" 1249.0Hz (D#+6c)
6 John Briant, Hertford 1792 5-3-04 31.00" 1114.0Hz (C#+8c)
7 John Briant, Hertford 1792 6-2-09 33.625" 992.0Hz (B+7c)
8 John Briant, Hertford 1792 7-0-20 34.00" 938.0Hz (A#+11c)
9 John Briant, Hertford 1792 9-1-06 37.75" 835.0Hz (G#+9c)
10 John Briant, Hertford 1792 12-0-01 41.375" 743.5Hz (F#+8c)

 

 
Newbold Pacey, St George, Warwickshire
Newbold Pacey Bells: 4; 7cwt in B
Grid Reference: 151/299572
Postcode: CV35 9DP
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Contact: Rev John Burrell The Rectory, Church Lane, Lighthorne, Warwick CV35 OAR
History Of The Bells

A small village church along a narrow lane. Look for the small "Church" sign off the main road, not to the Hall, the other one! It is a fair distance down the lane. There is some parking near to the church.

The ringing room is reached via a vertical ladder in the church porch.

The frame and fittings are probably of 1881, contemporary with the present church - but by a carpenter and builder (probably James Kibler of Wellesbourne) rather than a bellhanger. These bells are the only surviving complete ring by this foundry; other rings, e.g. Badsey and Hinton on the Green, having been augmented by other founders. They are therefore listed bells. Treble swings E-W along the South wall and the rest N-S in parallel pits on the North wall. None of the bells have been turned.

The treble is rung from the corner of the ringing room and the other 3 in a straight line down the middle of it - not using all of what is a fairly small ringing room.

Details Of The Bells
1 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 4cwt 26.50" 1344.0Hz (E+33c)
2 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 4½cwt 27.75" 1248.5Hz (D#+6c)
3 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 5¼cwt 29.875" 1146.0Hz (C#+57c)
4 William Clarke & Michael Bushell, Evesham 1707 7cwt 33.00" 997.5Hz (B+17c)

 

 

Nuneaton, St Nicolas, Warwickshire

Nuneaton Bells: 8; 14-1-5 in E
Grid Reference: 140/366916
Postcode: CV11 4AT
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub The Felix Holt, 3 Stratford Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 5BS Tel: 024 7634 7785 or
The William White, 42 Newdegate Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 4EU Tel: 024 7664 2670
The Horseshoes, 2 Heath End Rd, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV10 7JQ Tel: 024 7767 5066
(on the north edge of the town, near the George Eliot Hospital).
Contact: Peter Rogers 22 Gloucester Close, Nuneaton Warwickshire, CV11 6FU Tel: 024 7634 0344  Click to Email
History Of The Bells

The entrance up to a pleasant ring of bells is on the South side of the tower. These were a 6 by Rudhall, 1703 with the tenor recast in 1725 and the (then) second in 1809 In 1873 the tenor was again recast, as were the (now) 3rd and 5th, as well as the addition of the two trebles. The cost of the 5 new bells was £301 10s. Tilley and Walters note that the two tenors were again rehung by Warners in c.1892. It is noted also that the previous tenor was cracked on 3rd November 1872 when being rung for Sunday service. The cause is said to be that the clapper had been repaired previously by the local blacksmith, but made too heavy for the bell.

A curious installation - part of the frame is by John Over of Rugby 1809, but the central section (four parallel pits) was removed when Taylors installed four "H" frame pits in 1908. Fittings are mainly by Warner 1873, but ball bearings were fitted by Taylors in 1955.

It is worth mentioning the gravestone in the churchyard - quite easy to find- to David Wheway, a ringer who died in 1828. It has an interesting verse containing ringing analogies.

This church used to have many peals rung on its bells but house building nearby means that permission to ring peals has not normally been given for some years

A very obvious church on the main road through the town by a roundabout. Coming from the Coventry side on the A444 you will turn right at a roundabout (ignore the Through Routes to the left sign) and see it. From the A5 side on the A444 you will be directed past the church. There is a Pay and Display car park on the North side of the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Warner, London 1873 5cwt 28.50" 1314.0Hz (E-6c)
2 John Warner, London 1873 5½cwt 30.00" 1221.0Hz (D#-33c)
3 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1703 5¾cwt 31.50" 1100.0Hz (C#-14c)
4 John Briant, Hertford 1809 7cwt 34.00" 983.0Hz (B-8c)
5 John Warner, London 1873 8½cwt 36.00" 868.5Hz (A-23c)
6 Abraham Rudhall, Gloucester 1703 9½cwt 37.50" 816.5Hz (G#-30c)
7 John Warner, London 1873 11cwt 40.00" 723.0Hz (F#-40c)
8 John Warner, London 1873 14-1-14 44.50" 646.5Hz (E-34c)

 

 

Nuneaton, All Saints, Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire

Chilvers Coton Bells: 10; 13-1-24 in F
Grid Reference: 140/363908
Postcode: CV11 4LU
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None - District 10 Bell Practice on first Monday of the month - contact details below
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub The Felix Holt, 3 Stratford Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 5BS Tel: 024 7634 7785 or
The William White, 42 Newdegate Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 4EU Tel: 024 7664 2670
The Horseshoes, 2 Heath End Rd, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV10 7JQ Tel: 024 7767 5066
(on the north edge of the town, near the George Eliot Hospital).
Contact: Contact the church
The Parish Office, Coventry Road, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV11 4NJ   Tel: 024 7638 3010 (Office Hours 0800-1200) Click to Email
Enquiries about bringing a band to ring the bells
Margaret Merrick Tel: 024 7634 0493
Enquiries about the 10-Bell Practice
Geoff Pratt Tel: 024 7673 0154
History Of The Bells

This church is situated on the Coventry side of Nuneaton and can be missed by the unwary. It is just off the A444 by a large roundabout over which a railway viaduct stands. This church is well known as the author George Eliot, (Mary Ann Evans) was born in this parish and the tenor bell was cast in her memory. The church itself suffered much damage during WWII and was rebuilt by German prisoners of war. There is a grave stone in front of the tower that shows signs of shrapnel damage and near it a stone noting the names of the German POWs that helped in the rebuilding of the church.

The bells were augmented from 3 to 8 in the 1907, (the existing bells, tenor being 6-3-3, being recast with facsimile inscriptions on 6, 7 & 8. These were all by Hugh Watts of Leicester, treble and tenor 1616 and the middle bell 1639), and then further to 10. The back eight were rehung on ball bearings in 1944 and the new trebles, cast in 1946, were added in 1947 (dedicated on 17 May 1947.) Bells 1 and 3 are hung above in the new frame of 1946-7.

There is a piece of timber from the old frame - dated 1601 - preserved in the ringing room, very early for a dated frame. There is an Ellacombe chiming apparatus in the intermediate chamber. The clock chimes are removed via the use of an electonic switch situated behind the treble.

The entrance is on the South side of the tower and there is parking in the in the car park for residents of the next door retirement homes. Additonal parking on the west side of the churchyard, up the B4113 "Coventry Road" or in the Crafts Centre car park on the opposite of the road at the east end of the church, on the A4524, "Avenue Road".

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-1-09 23.125" 1874.0Hz (A#+9c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1946 3-2-14 24.00" 1673.0Hz (G#+12c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 3-2-27 24.50" 1491.0Hz (F#+13c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 3-3-14 25.50" 1401.0Hz (E#+5c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 4-1-07 27.50" 1244.0Hz (D#-1c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 4-3-10 29.25" 1114.0Hz (C#+8c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 6-0-03 32.00" 990.5Hz (B+5c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 7-0-23 34.00" 933.0Hz (A#+1c)
9 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 9-1-12 37.50" 836.0Hz (G#+11c)
10 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1907 13-1-24 42.50" 743.0Hz (F#+7c)

 

 

 

Offchurch, St Gregory, Warwickshire

Offchurch Bells: 6; 13-3-26 in F
Grid Reference: 151/358657
Postcode: CV33 9AS
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: The Stag at Offchurch,  Welsh Road, Offchurch, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV33 9AQ. Tel: 01926 425801
Contact: Mrs Becki Johnson, 18 East Dene, Lillington, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire ,CV32 7RF. Tel: 07894 738143 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

The small, but very nice, church contains a good ring of six that was augmented and rehung from an awkward ring of 4 in 1992, (The Dedication Service was on 21 Nov 1992). Previously rehung in a strengthened frame by Webb & Bennett of Kidlington in 1910, Mears & Stainbank further strengthened the frame in 1939. The old seventeenth century frame was to be re-erected at "The Bury", but it appears that this did not get successfully done.

Park near to the church and enter through the south door to an inside entrance at the base of the tower to the ringing gallery. Being beside the Diocesan Retreat House means that you may have to be flexible to a degree if you wish to visit here.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 5-2-02 29.625" 1137.0Hz (C#+44c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1992 6-0-26 31.625" 1008.0Hz (B+35c)
3 Robert Hendley, Gloucester c.1500 3-2-11 33.875" 899.0Hz (A+37c)
4 Newcombe, Leicester 1605 9-0-14 37.00" 850.0Hz (G#+40c)
5 Robert Hendley, Gloucester c.1500 12-1-12 40.125" 757.0Hz (F#+39c)
6 Matthew Bagley I, Chacombe 1681 13-3-26 43.875" 673.5Hz (E+37c)

 

Inside the Ringing Room

 

 

Oxhill, St Laurence, Warwickshire

Oxhill Bells: 5; 8-1-3 in Ab (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/317455
Postcode: OX15 5BG
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Peacock, Main Street, Oxhill, Warwickshire, CV35 0QU. Tel. 01295 688060
Contact: Catherine Timmins, Lerriless, Oxhill, Warwickshire, CV35 0QR. Tel: 01295 680223 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

Originally there where three bells in the tower, all cast in 1701 by William Bagley of Chacombe. In 1878, during the general restoration of the church, the tenor bell (which had been cracked) was recast by John Taylor and Co. of Loughborough. At the same time two new bells where added to make the present ring of five, and the bells were hung in a new frame by Thomas Mallaby of Masham. The ring was dedicated at a special service on Sunday 25th. August 1878. All the bells retain their canons, except the tenor which was cast without them.

They were renovated locally in 1989 to restore the bells to ringing order after they fell silent in the 1960s due to problems with the supporting beams. An RSJ was inserted under the frame to strengthen it. They do, however, remain a little fragile and should be rung with care.

Enter through the North Door and ring from the ground floor. Park carefully by the churchyard gate.

Details Of The Bells
1 William Bagley, Chacombe 1701 3-2-00 25.00" 1280.0Hz (Eb+49c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1878 4-1-14 27.50" 1133.0Hz (Db+37c)
3 William Bagley, Chacombe 1701 4-0-14 28.00" 1053.5Hz (C+12c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1878 7-007 32.25" 940.5Hz (Bb+15c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1878 8-3-13 37.25" 822.5Hz (Ab-17c)

 

 

Pillerton Hersey, St Mary the Virgin, Warwickshire

Pillerton Hersey Bells: 3; 7-0-10 in Bb - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/489299
Postcode: CV35 0QJ
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night:  
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village. There are several in nearby villages.  Try here for some options
Contacts: David Rogers Tel 01295 740237
History Of The Bells

A three - ringable until 1970s. Rehung with new fittings in a composite frame by Henry Bond of Burford in 1901 at a cost of £48/10/0. The tenor is Bb-48c and the second and treble C-46c and Db-53c respectively. This means that the treble and second are 93c apart, just short of a semitone. Therefore the bells are the front 3 of a ring of 4. Let's call them Bb, C and Db! They do sound good. They hang in a composite frame, Henry Bond 1901 and have been quarter turned. (At a cost of £48/10/-)

A recent brief visit shows that the tenor is loose on wheel and headstock and there is worm in the headstock where it needs to be tightened. There is also some worm in other stocks & stays too. "It would be inadvisable to get tenor up even though it might last for a bit!" The treble and second's wheels are need of minor repair. The clappers are at best "iffy"!

Some village residents are being trained to chime by nearby based ringers and this might generate some interest in a full restoration, one would hope.  Indeed, a scheme has been proposed in early 2013 and there is a plan to restore the bells and augment to 4/5.  The bells are currently at Taylors and the intention to use the redundant tenor from Adelstrop, which have to been remodelled as a lighter ring, as the treble of four.  Weights are as received at Taylors.

Details Of The Bells
Nu 1 Abraham Rudhall I 1711 4-0-14 25.75" 1264.0Hz (Eb+27)
1 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1668 4-1-21 29.50" 1075.0Hz (Db-53c)
2 Henry Bagley, Chacombe 1672 5-2-17 32.25" 1019.0Hz (C-46c)
3 Newcombe, Leicester 1602 7-0-10 35.25" 907.0Hz (Bb-48c)

 

 

Preston on Stour, St Mary, Warwickshire

Preston on Stour Bells: 3; 8cwt in Bb
OS Grid Reference: 151/203949
Postcode: CV37 8NQ
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village, but several in nearby villages. Try here for some suggestions.
Contact: Contact Churchwarden Tel 01327 264893
History Of The Bells

This parish was in Gloucestershire until 1931 when it passed to Warwickshire, and it was transferred from the Diocese of Gloucester to that of Coventry in 1918.

The tower and nave are mostly the original late medieval work but with significant remodelling in 1752-64 (by Edward Woodward of Chipping Campden) The chancel was entirely rebuilt at this time. Inside the chancel are several wall-mounted monuments of 17th & 18th century date, but it is the stained glass which takes centre stage, with a magnificent collection of Continental roundels in the east window, and two superb and extremely unusual side windows by Joshua Price c1750, with standing saints flanked by an eccentric collection of portrait medallions.

There is further notable glass in the west window under the tower, which seems to be indigenous work of 15th & 16th century dates, possibly original to the church, though sadly difficult to see without special access to the bell ringing chamber.

The cast iron frame and the fittings are by James E. Groves of Birmingham, 1923-4, though with wooden headstocks. Perfectly ringable, though perhaps some stiff pullies and a little frame movement is evident. The bells were quarter turned in 1923/4 when they were rehung in a new cast iron frame with new fittings by James E. Groves of Birmingham. The treble alone retains its cable patterned canons, it being slightly flat in relation to the other two. The bells have all been quarter turned.

The church is in the centre of the village, go round the front of the tower to the south side to get to the ringing room.

Details Of The Bells
1 Abraham Rudhall I, Gloucester 1713 4¾ cwt 28.75" 1135.5Hz (C#+41c)
2 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1635 6cwt 31.75" 1030.5Hz (C-27c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1653 8cwt 34.50" 946.0Hz (Bb+25c)

 

 

Priors Hardwick, St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Warwickshire

Priors Hardwick Bells: 3; 8cwt in Bb(GF)
Grid Reference: 151/472562
Postcode: CV47 7SN
District: Warwick
Recording
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Butchers Arms, Church End, Priors Hardwick, Southam, Warwickshire CV47 7SN. Tel: 01327 260504
Contact: Contact Churchwarden Tel 01327 264893
Paul Hobday Click to Email
History Of The Bells

These bells are hung in a two-tier wrought iron "bare" frame by Webb & Bennett of Kidlington of 1922, the treble being hung above the others. Mears & Stainbank replaced the treble headstock in 1959. All the bells have been quarter turned. A grant was given to the church by the Coventry DG on 7/7/01 to help repair the treble wheel and to install rope guides. This has been completed. A small tower, making any projected augmentation difficult.

The bells do not form a "true" three, being about 1, 3 & 4 of a four - those old enough might remember the children's show, "The Banana Splits"; the bells form the first three notes of the signature tune! They have been quarter pealed, in 1990. The exact pitch of the tenor is Bb-12 cents.

Follow the signs for the village centre from the (relatively!) main road and you soon find the church and can park on the road before or after it.

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1670 4cwt 27.75" 1214.5Hz (Eb-42c)
2 Thomas Newcombe, Leicester c.1580 6½cwt 31.75" 1015.5Hz (B+48c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1670 8cwt 34.375" 926.0Hz (Bb-12c)

 

 

Priors Marston, St Leonard, Warwickshire

Priors Marston Bells: 6; 14cwt in F - Anticlockwise, (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/489576
Postcode: CV47 7SB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: The Hollybush, Hollybush Lane, Priors Marston, Warwickshire, CV47 7RW. Tel: 01327 260934
Contact: Mr D A Kirk, Glebelands, Old Vicarage Garden, Priors Marston, Southam CV47 7RT Click to Email
History Of The Bells

This is one of many very nice South Warwickshire village with a nice church. Originally a complete ring of 6 by Bagley, the bells are hung anti-clockwise and rung from the ground floor, but nevertheless go well. The tenor cracked in 1844 and was recast in Loughborough. The Bagley bells are "listed". The wooden frame in contemporary with the bells (1721 - at which time the tower was partially rebuilt) but strengthened and underpinned when the bells were rehung by Mears & Stainbank in 1939. All bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned.

A peal of Minor in seven methods was rung here in 3 hours & 11 minutes on Shrove Tuesday 1778 - one of the few recorded early change-ringing performances in the county.

Enter through the tower door on the south side.

Details Of The Bells
1 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 5½cwt 31.00" 1205.5Hz (D+44c)
2 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 6¼cwt 31.25" 1064.0Hz (C+28c)
3 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 7cwt 34.00" 965.5Hz (Bb+61c)
4 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 8¾cwt 35.25" 889.5Hz (A+18c)
5 Henry Bagley III, Buckingham 1721 11cwt 38.00" 807.5Hz (G+52c)
6 John Taylor & Son, Loughborough 1845 14cwt 43.25" 706.0Hz (F+18c)

 

 

Radford Semele, St Nicholas, Warwickshire

Radford Semele Bells: 6; 9-3-19 in F# 
OS Grid Reference: 151/343648
Postcode: CV31 1FH
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 7.30pm - 9.00pm
Service Ringing: 10.00 - 10.30am
Recommended Pub: The White Lion, 60 Southam Road, Radford Semele, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 1TE. Tel: 01926 425770
Contact: Mrs Fiona Dyson,  Glebe House, Southam Road, Radford Semele, CV31 1TA. Tel:- 01926 425442 or 07980681513 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

In a nice setting just outside Leamington Spa, but detatched from it, this church, which is Grade II Listed, was probably built in the early 12th century and enlarged in the 14th century, at which point the tower was built.  Apart from the tower and the south wall of the nave, it was largely rebuilt in 1889.

Sadly it was gutted by fire on the morning of 16/3/08. Only the stone walls were left standing. It seems very likely that the fire was arson, a cremation stone being found inside the building when the clear up was being carried out. Work on the rebuild started at Easter 2012 and the church re-opened on May 15th 2013.

The bells were an awkward ring of 4 until 1998 when they were rehung and augmented. The bells were tuned, the tenor previously being noticeably flat in relation to the other three bells. The second bell, T Mears 1818, was recast at the same time. The second of the former ring of three at Atherstone on Stour was incorporated into the ring. The Taylor bells were cast with flat tops, the others retain their canons. Bells 1, 2, 5 and 6 have been one-eighth turned, bells 3 and 4 have not been turned.  After the fire the bells were removed to Taylors for safety and they put back into the tower in April 2013. The wooden fittings were burnt away by the fire and have been replaced and the other fittings refurbished as necessary. The frame was able to be re-used, as were the headstocks - with replacement bearings.

A modern 8-bell frame was purchased from a church in Cheylesmore, Coventry, where it had been installed but never filled with bells. The  framesides required to produce a 6-bell frame were installed here and the surplus sold to Studley for their augmentation project. However, they were subsequently sold on to Beoley in Worcsestershire as it was decided that installing new framesides made Studley's project easier.

The old frame (dated 1615, strengthened by William Beasley when he rehung the four in 1846/7) was retained in situ, but the transverse pit was removed.  This frame was destroyed in the fire.

There are a few parking places in front of the church and at the tower end. Enter via the south door and up to the ringing room from the base of the tower.

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1998 4-0-16 26.875" 1269.0Hz (D+34c)
2 John of Gloucester c.1350 4-0-12 28.375" 1131.0Hz (C#+34c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1636 5-3-26 31.25" 1010.0Hz (B+39c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1998 6-2-14 32.50" 953.0Hz (A#+38c)
5 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1641 7-3-21 36.25" 846.0Hz (G#+32c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1636 9-3-19 38.75" 757.0Hz (F#+39c)

 

 

Radway, St Peter, Warwickshire

Radway Bells: 5; 5-0-26 in C (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/368480
Postcode: CV35 0UE
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: Castle Inn, Edgehill, (nr. Ratley) Banbury, Oxon, OX15 6DJ. Tel: 01295 670255 - note that this pub is in Warwickshire, despite its postal address. Map
Contact: Graham Nabb, 12 Glosters Green, Kineton, Warks CV35 0LT. Tel: 01926 641812 Click to Email
History Of The Bells

A pretty little church with a nice ring of 5. The whole installation was installed 1868, given in her will by Mrs Magan of Cheltenham, the cost being £280. This is contemporary with the time then the parish church was rebuilt in a different part of the village to the original church, using some of the old stone. The old church had a single bell cast by C & G Mears in 1845, weighing 6-3-3. The bells were rehung with new fittings by Mears & Stainbank in the existing oak frame of 1868 in 1949 at which time they were quarter turned but the canons were left in situ. A fairly long draft, ringing is around around the font, but the bells are not that difficult to ring!

The frequencies of the bells were taken in June 2013 by Chris Pickford and these show that the bells are, just, in the key of C and not B as has up to now been reported.

Park opposite the churchyard gate and enter via the south door into the church.

Details Of The Bells
1 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-0-18 24.00" 1535.0Hz (G-37c) 
2 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-1-08 24.50" 1362.0Hz (F-44c) 
3 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 3-2-22 25.00" 1289.0Hz (E-39c) 
4 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 4-1-02 27.00" 1149.0Hz (D-38c) 
5 Robert Stainbank, London 1868 5-0-26 29.25" 1019.0Hz (C-46c) 

 

 

Rowington, St Laurence, Warwickshire

Rowington Bells: 6; 13-3-0 in F (GF) - Rung from Chancel.
Grid Reference: 151/204693
Postcode: CV35 7AB
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday/Friday 5.30pm
Service Ringing: Festivals and Holy Days
Recommended Pub: Rowington Club, Rowington Green, Rowington, Warwickshire, CV35 7DB. Tel: 01564 782087
(GBG states that it is open to non-members and free to CAMRA members)
The Navigation at Lapworth Old Warwick Road, Lapworth, Solihull, West Midlands, B94 6NA. Tel: 01564 783337
Contact: Mr Jack Reedy, The Old Manor, Rowington, Warwick, CV35 7DJ
History Of The Bells

A fine church set in the west of the Diocese near to Warwick but actually in the Coventry District. Look for the new stained glass window at the west end of the church that was installed for the new millennium.

The bells are rung from the chancel crossing and handle well despite this. There are rope guides, with a decent drop beneath them. Relatively new learners and those that worry about these things might find them a little tricky, as seen in the video. "Pull them long and straight; not hard" is the best tip!

Until 1887 they were a complete Leicester ring of 5, when Carrs of Smethwick recast the treble. They were hung in a new cast iron (lowside) frame and fittings by Taylors in 1958 at which time the second was recast and a new treble added. This replaced the old wooden frame which had the treble hung above the other four in the middle of the frame and set diagonally to it. Only the fourth has canons today. The Taylor bells were cast with flat tops, the Newcombe bell retains its canons and the others have had them removed.

You can park in a church car park on the opposite side of the road, near the lych gate. Follow the path to a door on the north (left as you look from the gate) side of the church.

A Video of Ringing Here

 

 

 

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1958 4-3-16 28.375" 1185.0Hz (D+15c)
2 Charles Carr, Smethwick 1887 6-1-08 31.125" 1069.0Hz (C+37c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1958 6-3-24 32.875" 949.0Hz (Bb+31c)
4 Newcombe, Leicester 1609 7-2-26 35.25" 887.0Hz (A+14c)
5 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1620 9-1-22 38.125" 803.0Hz (G+41c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1633 13-3-00 42.75" 711.0Hz (D+31c)

 

 

Rugby, St Andrew, Warwickshire

Rugby8 Bells: East Tower 8; 24-3-8 in D
West Tower 5; 9-2-3 in Ab
Grid Reference: 140/504752
Postcode: CV21 3PT
District: Rugby
Rugby5 Peals Felstead Database - 8 bell
Felstead Database - 5 bell
Recording: 8-bell tower
5-bell tower
Practice Night: Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm
(1st West Tower; Others East Tower)
Service Ringing: 9:45am-10:30am
Recommended Pub: There are lots to choose from.  Those in the GBG 2014 are:
The Lawrence Sherriff
, 28-29 High Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BW. Tel: 01788 517640
The Marchants Inn, 5-7 Little Church Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3AW. Tel: 01788 571119
Raglan Arms, 50 Dunchurch Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6AD. Tel: 01788 544441
The Seven Stars, 40 Albert Square, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 2SH. Tel: 01788 546611
The Squirrel Inn, 33 Church Street,  Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3PU. Tel: 01788 544154
The Victoria Inn, 1 Lower Hillmorton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3ST. Tel: 01788 544374
Contact: Mr J Goddard 12 Wheatfield Road, Bilton, Rugby CV22 7LN Click to Email
History Of The Bells

Set in the centre of this railway town, this church is unique in that it has two rings of bells.

The ring of 5, put up in October of 1711 in the West tower is the original ring, it replacing a ring of four with a heavier tenor, it being cracked at the time of the recasting. The five hang in an early C17th oak frame (c.1620). The frame is arranged to have the four heaviest bells around the walls of the tower and the treble in the middle. They were rehung with new fittings by Taylors in 1930. The frame was strengthened and the bells were retuned and quarter turned. The canons were not removed from the bells at this time. Note that the weights, taken at the time of tuning are actually heavier than those given by Tilley and Walters. The bearings being replaced locally in 2002/3 following a major tower restoration. Recent research has shown that the 5 are in the key of A (-22c) and not G as has been previously stated.

With the expansion of Rugby due to the coming of the railway the church was not big enough to cope and, instead of demolition, it was incorporated into the new building to become part of the North Aisle. A new tower was added by Messrs. Parnell and Sons, to the designs of William Butterfield as part of the restoration scheme that took place between 1877 & 1885. The heavy, old fashioned 8, was purchased some 10 years later and dedicated on 18th June 1896. The bells cost £513 13s 2d and the frame, fittings and chiming apparatus brought the total bill up to £812 3s 2d. The eight were rehung by Mears & Stainbank in 1955 when the original frame was lowered in the tower and the bells rehung on ball bearings. A more recent rehanging, by Whitechapel, in the existing frame was completed in 1992 - the bells not removed from the church or weighed. The "Doncaster Heads" were removed at this time.

The 8 are in the "modern" key E flat: standard pitch "flattened" sometime around 1900 so many peals are now closer to a semitone sharper than old charts say.

Car parking near the church is not easy and you should use pay and display facilities nearby. Entrance to the 8 is from outside the tower round the left as you look and to the 5 it is often through the main north door, but sometimes the tower door!

Details Of The 8 Bells
1 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 6-3-02 31.50"
2 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 7-0-25 32.67"
3 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 8-0-27 35.125"
4 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 9-1-19 37.25"
5 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 11-2-22 41.00"
6 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 12-2-08 42.00"
7 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 17-0-11 47.125"
8 Mears & Stainbank, London 1896 24-3-08 53.00"
NB The cannons were removed during the 1992 rehanging
and therefore the weights must be considered approximate.

 

Details Of The 5 Bells
1 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 4-2-05 30.00" 1304.0Hz (E-19c)
2 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 4-3-17 30.50" 1159.0Hz (D-23c)
3 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 5-2-17 32.50" 1096.0Hz (C#-20c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 6-3-21 35.50" 976.5Hz (B-20c)
5 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1711 9-2-03 39.50" 869.0Hz (A-22c)

 

 

 

 

Ryton-on-Dunsmore, St Leonard, Warwickshire

Ryton on Dunsmore Bells: 8; 9-3-6 in F#
OS Grid Reference: 140/386745
Postcode: CV8 3EW
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Monday 6:30pm-7:30pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:30am-10:00am (1 & 3)
Recommended Pub: The Blacksmith's Arms, High Street, Ryton on Dunsmore Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, CV8 3EY. Tel 024 7630 1818
Contact: Churchwarden: Janet Smith 024 7630 6224
History Of The Bells

For a long time this tower contained an unringable three, last being rehung in 1818 at a cost of £28. The headstock of the treble was replaced by Mears in 1864/5 when they repaired the ironwork, turned the gudgeons and supplied new brass bearings, all for £4. The headstocks of the other bells were replaced, probably locally, in 1905. The Mears bell, formerly the treble of three, was cast to replace a cracked mediaval bell, by Richard Seliok in about 1530, at a cost of £22/5/6. It is possible that the tenor bell, which alone of the old bells retains its canons, was cast in Coventry as John Martin was working there at this time when he cast a bell for Fillongley. The tenor is F#+23c.

The ring was rehung and augmented in two stages, first to 6 in an 8-bell cast iron and steel frame in 1988 and then to 8 some three years later. All this work was undertaken by Taylors.

This church is on the main A45 road from Coventry towards the M1 and is on its north side, just after the former Peugeot car plant. Turn in just before the church and park by the churchyard wall.New housing directly opposite the church restricts ringing a little. Do be careful when visiting - there are a couple of cunningly hidden speed cameras on the main road leading up to the church; from both directions!

Details Of The Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1991 3-3-18 25.50" 1504.0Hz (F#+28c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1991 4-0-12 25.875" 1413.0Hz (E#+20c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 4-1-12 27.25" 1253.0Hz (D#+12c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 5-1-04 29.50" 1123.0Hz (C#+22c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1988 6-1-00 31.75" 1008.0Hz (B+35c)
6 George Mears & Co, London 1864 6-1-12 34.00" 935.0Hz (A#+5c)
7 William Watts, Leicester c.1590 8-2-00 35.875" 844.0Hz (G#+28c)
8 John Martin, Worcester 1653 9-3-06 39.50" 750.0Hz (F#+23c)