Nuneaton, All Saints, Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire
|Bells:||10; 13-1-24 in F|
|Practice Night:||None - District 10 Bell Practice on first Monday of the month - contact details below|
|Recommended Pub||The Felix Holt, 3 Stratford Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 5BS Tel: 024 7634 7785 or |
The William White, 42 Newdegate Street Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 4EU Tel: 024 7664 2670 or
The Horseshoes, 2 Heath End Rd, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV10 7JQ Tel: 024 7767 5066 (on the north edge of the town, near the George Eliot Hospital).
|Contact:||Contact the church The Parish Office, Coventry Road, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV11 4NJ Tel: 024 7638 3010 (Office Hours 0800-1200) Click to Email |
Enquiries about bringing a band to ring the bells: Margaret Merrick Tel: 024 7634 0493
Enquiries about the 10-Bell Practice Geoff Pratt Tel: 024 7673 0154
History Of The Bells
This church is situated on the Coventry side of Nuneaton and can be missed by the unwary. It is just off the A444 by a large roundabout over which a railway viaduct stands. This church is well known as the author George Eliot, (Mary Ann Evans) was born in this parish and the tenor bell was cast in her memory. The church itself suffered much damage during WWII and was rebuilt by German prisoners of war. There is a grave stone in front of the tower that shows signs of shrapnel damage and near it a stone noting the names of the German POWs that helped in the rebuilding of the church.
The bells were augmented from 3 to 8 in the 1907, (the existing bells, tenor being 6-3-3, being recast with facsimile inscriptions on 6, 7 & 8. These were all by Hugh Watts of Leicester, treble and tenor 1616 and the middle bell 1639), and then further to 10. The back eight were rehung on ball bearings in 1944 and the new trebles, cast in 1946, were added in 1947 (dedicated on 17 May 1947.) Bells 1 and 3 are hung above in the new frame of 1946-7.
There is a piece of timber from the old frame - dated 1601 - preserved in the ringing room, very early for a dated frame. There is an Ellacombe chiming apparatus in the intermediate chamber. The clock chimes are removed via the use of an electonic switch situated behind the treble.
The entrance is on the South side of the tower and there is parking in the in the car park for residents of the next door retirement homes. Additonal parking on the west side of the churchyard, up the B4113 "Coventry Road" or in the Crafts Centre car park on the opposite of the road at the east end of the church, on the A4524, "Avenue Road".
Details Of The Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1946||3-1-09||23.125"||1874.0Hz||(A#+9c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1946||3-2-14||24.00"||1673.0Hz||(G#+12c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||3-2-27||24.50"||1491.0Hz||(F#+13c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||3-3-14||25.50"||1401.0Hz||(E#+5c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||4-1-07||27.50"||1244.0Hz||(D#-1c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||4-3-10||29.25"||1114.0Hz||(C#+8c)|
|7||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||6-0-03||32.00"||990.5Hz||(B+5c)|
|8||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||7-0-23||34.00"||933.0Hz||(A#+1c)|
|9||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||9-1-12||37.50"||836.0Hz||(G#+11c)|
|10||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1907||13-1-24||42.50"||743.0Hz||(F#+7c)|