Salford Priors, St Matthew, Warwickshire

Salford Priors Bells: 8; 15-0-14 in F# (GF)
Grid Reference: 150/077510
Postcode: WR11 8UP
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: By Arrangement
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:00am-10:30am, except 1st
Recommended Pub: The Queen's Head,Evesham Road, Iron Cross, Salford Priors, Evesham, Worcestershire, WR11 8SH. Tel:01386 871012
Contact: Kathryn Latham, 12 Cleeve Road, Marlcliff, Bidford-on-Avon, B50 4NR Click to Email
History of the Bells

The last tower in the Guild in this direction, St Matthews is a nice church with a very nice Gillett & Johnston ring of bells. A ring of eight has been hung here since 1836 when Thomas Mears of Gloucester added two trebles to the ring of six cast by Richard Sanders of Bromsgrove in 1735. This ring has replaced and earlier one of five bells. The tenor was recast by Mears & Stainbank in 1867.

The G&J ring hangs in a two tier cast iron frame, treble and fifth on top in a lowside frame and the others below in an H-frame. Being a relatively new ring, none of the bells have been turned. This is said to be the first complete ring cast after the Second World War.

One of the Sanders bells, the sixth of the ring, is preserved in the church, having been incorporated as part of a War Memorial to the fallen of World War II. There were two other small bells in the church, a C16 bell on a bracket that was returned to the church after being the local school's bell for 100 years in 1961, it being formerly the church's sanctus bell, and a Warner bell of 1876 that had been the bell at Dunnington School. Sadly, the older bell was stolen some years ago.

There is parking leading up to the church and entry is via the North Door. "Facilities" are to the east of the churchyard; bear left instead of right towards the main church door when the path branches.

Being on the edge of the Coventry Guild and very close to the border with the Worcester & Districts Association this tower has links with both. Here is a link to the W & D entry for Salford Priors

Details of the Bells
1 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 4-2-11 26.75" 1460.0Hz (F#-24c)
2 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 4-3-20 27.50" 1372.0Hz (E#-31c)
3 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 5-1-11 28.94" 1220.0Hz (D#-34c)
4 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 6-1-01 31.00" 1098.0Hz (C#-17c)
5 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 7-1-12 33.50" 976.0Hz (B-21c)
6 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 8-0-02 34.875" 915.0Hz (A#-32c)
7 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 10-3-09 38.375" 824.0Hz (G#-14c)
8 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1945 15-0-14 42.875" 732.0Hz (F#-19c)

 

 

Sherbourne, All Saints, Warwickshire

Sherbourne Bells: 6: 11-1-17 in F#
Grid Reference: 151/262612
Postcode: CV35 8AP
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 10:15am
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village - Barford is very close, on the other side of the A429, having some good pubs.
Contact: Rev D C Jessett, The Rectory, Church Lane, Barford, Warwick CV35 8ES Tel: 01926 624238 (Requests for visits should be made via the vicar)
John Wheeler, Holly Collage, 9, Ferry Lane, Alveston, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7QX. Tel: 01789 293604 or 07979774687 Email the Ringers
History of the Bells

A magnificent church which is signposted off the A429, just south of the A46/M40 interchange roundabout. It is the fourth on this site, set in a rural setting. Park by the churchyard lych gate and enter via the main church door on the north side - the tower door is inside the church. Pause a while to look at the two colour marble columns, the ornate font and the many lovely carvings in wood and stone of birds, flowers and faces. There is a memorial to one of the "Dambusters" on the north wall.

The present fourth bell is large of the two bells that hung in the previous church. The smaller, weighing 4-2-19, was sold to George Mears & Co as part payment for five new bells to be added to the remaining bell. The work was commissioned by Miss L A Ryland. The bells were installed in the newly completed church in 1864.

The bells are in a two tier wooden frame, with bells 2 and 4 above. This frame was strengthened by Mears and Stainbank in 1897 by the insertion of iron tie bolts. The bells were rehung on ball bearings, again by Mears & Stainbank, 1928 and further overhauled in 1975 by Frank White after a fall of masonry which broke the fourth's wheel. All the bells retain their canons, the fourth, maiden bell, alone has been quarter turned.

Details of the Bells
1 George Mears & Co, London 1863 4-1-25 27.00"
2 George Mears & Co, London 1863 4-3-26 28.50"
3 George Mears & Co, London 1863 5-2-13 30.50"
4 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1632 6½cwt 33.00"
5 George Mears & Co, London 1863 8-0-26 36.00"
6 George Mears & Co, London 1863 11-1-17 40.00"

 

 
Shilton, St Andrew, Warwickshire
Shilton Bells: 6; 6-3-0 in Bb (GF)
Grid Reference: 140/404843
Postcode: CV7 9HW
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Friday 7:45pm-9:15pm
Service Ringing: 1st and 3rd Sunday 10:30am-11:00am;
2nd and 4th Sunday 5:50pm-6:30pm
Recommended Pub: The Shilton Arms, Church Road, Shilton, Coventry, CV7 9HX. Tel: 024 7661 2607
(Very much a food pub, not a boozer!)
Contacts: Gerald Trevor 11 Hall Lane, Wolvey, Nr Hinckley, Leics LE10 3LF
Martyn Turner 99 Kingsley Avenue, Hillmorton, Rugby CV21 4JZ
History of the Bells

A church by the crossroads in the village. Nicely kept, it boasts a lovely light ring of 6 cast and hung by Gillett & Johnston in 1925. They replaced a ring of 4, two trebles by Edward Arnold of Leicester, 1796, third by Newcombe of Leicester, 1603 and tenor by John Greene of Worcester, 1614. There is a clapper spring on the tenor and this helps them to resonate nicely. The wheels were replaced in 2000. The bells were cast with flat tops and hang in a cast iron H-frame.

There is a belief that the success of this ring lead to the contract for the Cathedral bells being given to the Croydon foundry.

It is probably best to discretely park in the pub car park opposite and then enter the church via the south door.

Details of the Bells
1 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 2-2-23 23.00" 1580.0Hz (G+13c
2 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 3-2-00 25.00" 1424.0Hz (F+33c)
3 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 4-0-08 27.00" 1264.0Hz (Eb+27c)
4 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 4-3-10 28.375" 1184.0Hz (D+14c)
5 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 5-1-21 30.50" 1068.0Hz (C+35c)
6 Gillett & Johnston, Croydon 1925 6-3-20 33.50" 948.0Hz (Bb+29c)

 

 

 

Shipston on Stour, St Edmund, Warwickshire

Shipston on Stour Bells: 6; 9-2-1 in G
Grid Reference: 151/260406
Postcode: CV36 4AP
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: Saturday 10:00am-11:00am
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: The Black Horse, Station Road, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire CV36 4BT. Tel: 01608 238489
Contact: Gerald Phillips  Gerald Phillips, 9 Parsons Close, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire. Tel: 01608 662811  Click to Email
History of the Bells

The church is set on the main road through this small market town and is hemmed in by buildings. The church retains only the tower of it's medieval structure, the rest of the church having been entirely rebuilt by George Edmund Street in his 1855 restoration.

Not surprisingly only 7 peals have been rung here, the last one in November 2007 to celebrate the Coventry Guild's centenary. The previous peal had been in 1976 and therefore the 2007 peal was the first peal on the new ring. Prior to this 5 peals had been rung between 1907 and 1931.

Richard Keene of woodstock recast the five existing bells into a ring of 6 in October 1695, tenor 9-2-5. The tenor needed recasting soon afterwards. In 1700 on May 1st the churchwardens presented the ringers and their accomplices to the Consistery Court at Worcester for ringing without permission and "..for breaking the sixth bell..at a very unreasonable time in the night". Another bell was recast in 1736 by Abraham Rudhall II of Gloucester. The whole ring was recast by Matthew Bagley III in 1754. He also recast the third bell in 1774.

The bells were rehung in a new cast iron "lowside" frame in 1979. When at the foundry it was found necessary to recast more bells than originally thought and all but the tenor were eventually melted down. The initial intention was that the poor toned third and the cracked fourth should alone be recast, but it was found that the fifth was cracked in the crown and that the two trebles' crowns were too thin to stand the drilling that would be necessary for the new headstocks. Previously they hung in a Bond girder frame of 1901, working in conjunction with a firm called Parker Ltd, who installed the frame at a cost of £25. Bond charged £69/10/- for quarter turning the bells and providing them with new fittings. The tenor is G+13c and was eighth turned by Taylors in 1979.

There is a car park up the road virtually opposite the tower. Entry to the tower is through the church and behind the organ.

This large village was transferred to Warwickshire from Worcestershire in 1931.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co,(Bellfounders) Loughborough 1979 4-1-06 26.875" 1319.0Hz (E+1c)
2 John Taylor & Co,(Bellfounders) Loughborough 1979 4-1-18 28.125" 1185.0Hz (D+15c)
3 John Taylor & Co,(Bellfounders) Loughborough 1979 4-2-11 28.875" 1053.0Hz (C+11c)
4 John Taylor & Co,(Bellfounders) Loughborough 1979 5-3-00 31.00" 990.0Hz (B+13c)
5 John Taylor & Co,(Bellfounders) Loughborough 1979 7-2-18 34.375" 891.0Hz (A+22c)
6 Matthew Bagley III, Chacombe 1754 9-2-01 38.50" 790.0Hz (G+13c)

 

Shotteswell, St Laurence, Warwickshire

Shotteswell Bells: 6; 9-1-0 in G (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/426455
Postcode: OX17 1JB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm (CHECK)
Service Ringing:  
Recommended Pub: There is no longer a pub in the village. The local website has these suggestions
Contacts: Andrew Jeffrey, 6 New Road, Shotteswell, Banbury OX17 1HT Tel: 01295 738729  Click to Email
Alan Reilly, Woolgrove Cottage, Snuff Lane, Shotteswell, Banbury OX17 1JH
History Of The Bells

A nice church with a small spire set in deepest rural South Warwickshire, in fact it is very nearly in the Oxford Guild territory.

Until 1996 these were an unringable five, but were rehung and the old tenor of three at Atherstone on Stour was incorporated into the ring as the fourth. There had been a ring of five here since John Briant added a treble to the existing four bells in 1808. A Bond of Burford bell, a recast of a previous bell in 1888 and weighing 7½cwt, was discarded as part of the project to make these bells ringable. The old wooden frame, a four bell frame of standard layout with the treble hung above between parallel beams was discarded in favour of a metal frame in 1995.

Parking right by the church is very difficult. Park just uphill from it at the side of the road.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1995 4-3-08 27.375" 1325.0Hz (E+9c)
2 John Briant, Hertford 1808 4-1-24 28.625" 1182.0Hz (D+11c)
3 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1674 4-3-14 29.625" 1052.0Hz (C+9c)
4 Unknown 1627 4-3-22 30.625" 993.0Hz (B+9c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1995 6-3-20 33.50" 888.0Hz (A+16c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1625 9-1-00 38.00" 788.0Hz (G+9c)

 

 

Snitterfield, St James the Great, Warwickshire

Snitterfield Bells: 6; 16-1-13 in F
Grid Reference: 151/219600
Postcode: CV37 0LJ
District: Warwick
Recording:
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-8:30pm (Check)
Service Ringing: Sunday 10.30am-11.00am (all), 6.00-6.30pm (4th)
Recommended Pub: The Snitterfield Arms, Bearley Road, Snitterfield, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 0JH. Tel: 01789 730941
Contact: Mr M J O Gray, Green Leys, Park Lane, Snitterfield, Stratford-on-Avon CV37 0LT
History of the Bells

The village is (frequently!) signposted off the A46 Stratford upon Avon bypass. Another nice church in rural South Warwickshire. The bells used to be ground floor but were moved "upstairs" in the 1980s. Notice that the handrail on the stairs is from an old double-decker bus!

The composite frame is by Taylors, 1887, but the bells were rehung on ball bearings by Gillett & Johnston in 1947. Prior to 1887 there were 3 bells, the present 3rd formed the treble and the 5th the tenor. They were made into 6 by adding 2 trebles and a tenor. At the time of the augmentation they recast the existing middle bell, a 1703 William Bagley bell of exactly 8cwt. They had previously recast the then existing tenor, a Henry Bagley I bell of 1665 which weighed 9-1-22, in 1874. The frame is "composite" with oak cills and frame heads and cast iron main braces. All the bells retain their canons, except the tenor which was cast with a "flat top", and none have been turned.

Entry is via the main west tower door.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1887 5-0-23 28.375" 1197.5Hz (D+33c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1887 6-0-24 30.75" 1064.0Hz (C+29c)
3 Abel Rudhall, Gloucester 1758 5-0-21 31.125" 944.0Hz (Bb+22c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1887 8-3-11 35.50" 901.0Hz (A+41c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1874 10-2-25 39.375" 793.0Hz (G+20c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1887 16-1-13 44.50" 707.5Hz (F+22c)

 

 

 

Southam, St James, Warwickshire

Southam Bells: 8; 15-1-25 in E (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/418617
Postcode: CV47 0HQ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:30am-10:00am, 6:00pm-6:30pm
Recommended Pub: The Black Dog, Market Hill, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 0HF. Tel: 01926 819066.
Good clean well run pub with a selection of beers, but no food.
The Bowling Green Coventry Street Southam Warwickshire CV47 0EP Tel: 01926 812575
Good “Pub Grub” menu at reasonable prices in a separate room from the drinkers with pleasant seating arrangements. The beer is fine but the bar area can become very crowded if there is football on TV.
Contacts: Mr Terence Hill 22 Warwick Road, Southam, CV47 0HN Click to Email
Mrs M Williams 6 Park Lane, Southam, CV47 0JA
History of the Bells

Set in the middle of a busy town, recently made quieter as it has been "by-passed", St James is just off the market place and has a spire. A nice church that is worth a look at prior to ringing. The bells are rung from the ground floor and go reasonably well.

Until 1863 there were five bells here, the existing three tenors and a treble of 1596 and second, it being a Watts of Leicester bell of 1613. The trebles were recast and a further treble added by Mears and Co and the frame was altered to take six bells.

The existing metal H-frame dates from 1913 when the bells were first rehung as a six in an eight bell frame (dedicated on 19 April 1913). The trebles were added soon afterwards and dedicated on 17 May 1913. This work was carried out by Taylors of Lougborough. A peal of minor in three methods was rung between these points of time and one of Stedman Triples on the day of the second dedication. The canons were removed from the bells and they were one eighth turned. Bells 1, 4, 6 & 7 hang in the upper frame and the others in the lower frame.

All were rehung on ball bearings by Mears & Stainbank, 1954. Minor work to improve the handling of the bells was carried out in 2002.

The tenor has been stated in some places as being in the key of F. It is actually just nearer E, being E+47c. The two trebles were cast with flat tops and the canons of the others have been removed.

There is some parking in the market place or try by the north wall of the churchyard. Enter via the north door.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-0-23 26.50" 1358.0Hz (E+51c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-2-07 27.625" 1280.0Hz (D#+49c)
3 George Mears & Co, London 1863 4-3-15 30.125" 1136.0Hz (C#+42c)
4 George Mears & Co, London 1863 5-2-20 31.625" 1017.0Hz (B+50c)
5 George Mears & Co, London 1863 6-3-19 32.25" 904.0Hz (A+47c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1615 8-1-15 36.875" 850.0Hz (G#+40c)
7 John Martin, Worcester 1650 9-3-14 39.50" 758.0Hz (F#+42c)
8 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1676 15-1-25 44.50" 677.5Hz (E+47c)

 

 

Stockton, St Michael, Warwickshire

Stockton Bells: 3; 9cwt in G- UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/437635
Postcode: CV47 8JF
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Blue Lias Inn,  Stockton Road, Stockton, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 8LD. Tel: 01926 812249
Contact: Revd Michael Greig, The Vicarage, Butt Hill, Napton, Southam CV47 8NE  Tel. 01926 812383
History of the Bells

These bells are unringable due to poor frame design which leaves one truss almost free-standing. Fittings are by White of Appleton in the late 19th century. They hang in an oak frame also by Frederick White and installed in the late 19th century.  They have been quarter turned and retain their canons.

Details of the Bells
1 Newcombe, Leicester 1608 5¾cwt 31.00" 956.5 (Bb+44c)
2 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1622 7cwt 33.375" 873.5 (A-13c)
3 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1620 9cwt 37.00" 786.5 (G+6c)

 

 

Stoneleigh, St Mary, Warwickshire

Stoneleigh Bells: 6; 10-2-14 in G
Grid Reference: 140/330726
Postcode: CV8 3DN
District: Coventry
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: 10:15am-11:00am. Except 1st Sunday (Check)
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village, though local ringers might well take you to the social club on a practice night!
Otherwise, look for a pub at the next or previous tower.
Contact: Bob Taylor, 9 Daventry Road, Cheylsmore, Coventry, CV3 5DJ. Tel: 024 7650 3712 or 07979868260 Click to Email
History of the Bells

A very pleasant village near to the National Agricultural Centre that hosts the Royal Show. Formerly having a somewhat paternalistic Leigh family, up at the Abbey means that there is no pub in the village, only a club. Following the signs from the A46, as you enter the village centre you bear to the right and quickly turn left towards the church. Limited parking is available by the churchyard gate. Entry is via the west tower door and thence up a wooden staircase to the ringing room.

The third bell, which is listed, has the initials "R K" on the waist of the bell and these are presumed to be those of Richard Kidderminster, last abbot of Winchcombe, who held office from 1488 to 1531. It is also presumed that this bell was initially cast by John Wooley, then a servant to the Selioks in Nottingham and later in business by himself, for Winchcombe Abbey. The Briant bell is similarly thought to be a recasting of a bell from the Abbey.

Tilley and Walters noted that the five bells were "fixed dead, with hammers, and never rung". The bells now go well, the then five bells being rehung in a six-bell cast iron lowside frame by Taylors in 1956 and the treble being added in 1962-3. The treble was cast with a flat top and the canons have been retained on the other bells, these having canon retaining headstocks. They also have been quarter turned.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1962 4-0-06 26.50" 1318.0Hz (E-1c)
2 Thomas Eayre I, Kettering 1752 5-3-19 31.00" 1176.0Hz (D+2c)
3 John Wooley Nottingham c.1525 5-1-23 31.50" 1047.0Hz (C+1c)
4 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1632 6-0-15 32.00" 988.0Hz (B+0c)
5 John Briant, Hertford 1792 7-3-02 35.50" 881.0Hz (A+2c)
6 Hugh Watts, Leicester 1632 10-2-14 39.25" 782.0Hz (G-4c)

 

 

 

Stratford upon Avon, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire

Stratford Upon Avon Bells: 10; 19-0-2 in E
Grid Reference: 151/201543
Postcode: CV37 6BQ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:45am-10:25am
Recommended Pub: There are many pubs in the town. Those in the GBG 2014 are:
The Bear at the Swan's Nest Hotel, Swan's Nest Lane, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7LT. Tel: 01789 265540
The New Bull's Head, 9 Bull Street, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6DT. Tel: 017989 268832
Contact: Jo Langford, 42 Amis Way, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7JF. Tel: 01789 267093 Click to Email
History of the Bells

A magnificent church with a central tower and spire near the river. Easy to see from a distance, but difficult to park near as the town gets busy with tourists. The most obvious connection is with William Shakespeare, whose remarkably simple gravestone is near to the high altar. During the day you enter through the main church door, after closing in the side of the transept to the left of it, and the way up to the bells is in the centre of the church.

According to "Church Bells of Warwickshire by Tilley and Walters", in 1683 a new ring of 6, tenor c.14cwt, was cast by Matthew Bagley out of the pre-existing five bells. The tenor was recast by Richard Sanders in 1717 and the third by him in 1733. The treble was recast by Henry Bagley in 1742. There have eight here since 1887, the tenor weighing in at c.18cwt. Taylors recast the third and fourth bells and added two more to make the octave and provided a new frame and fittings. The inscriptions on these bells were all incised. There are photographs in the ringing chamber showing the old bells in their cast iron "A" frame of that date.

Taylors recast and augmented the ring in 1948, producing effectively a brand new installation. They hang in a in a single level cast iron lowside frame. They go and sound very nicely indeed. They are a classic Taylor ring of that period. Tenor frequency equates to E-18c. All bells were cast with flat tops.

The local bells website states:-
"The first record of bells in the tower is from 1502 when a legacy of 6/8d (£0.33) was left towards their restoration. We have no record of their number or weights. In October 1617 the churchwardens reported: "we were cited Worcester because the bells were oute of order (Stratford was then in the Worcester Diocese). In December of the same year £4 12d. [£4.05] was paid for re-casting. The next bell-related memorandum in the Vestry minute book is from 1650: It was agreed upon yt there shalbe a leavy made for the gathering of x.li. [£10] vizt. v.li. [£5] for the Towne, and v.li. [£5] for the parish to cast three new belles......"

The local ringers removed the Warner bell of 1881, (4-2-12 with a diameter of 28.125"),  from the old cemetery chapel and hung it for electric chiming as a service/sacring bell in 1994. The canons have been removed from this bell.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 5-1-02 26.75" 1649.0Hz (G#-13c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 5-1-10 27.50" 1468.0Hz (F#-14c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 5-1-06 28.50" 1309.0Hz (E-13c)
4 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 5-3-14 29.75" 1231.0Hz (D#-19c)
5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 6-3-08 31.50" 1099.0Hz (C#-15c)
6 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 8-0-16 34.00" 979.0Hz (B-15c)
7 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 10-0-23 37.00" 869.0Hz (A-22c)
8 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 11-3-01 39.00" 820.0Hz (G#-22c)
9 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 14-2-02 42.50" 733.0Hz (F#-16c)
10 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1948 19-0-02 47.00" 652.5Hz (E-18c)

 

 

Stretton-on-Dunsmore, All Saints, Warwickshire

Stretton-on-Dunsmore Bells: 6; 7-0-14 in B
Grid Reference: 140/406725
Postcode: CV23 9NA
District: Rugby
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The Shoulder of Mutton, 2 Brookside, Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9LY Tel:024 7654 5525
Contact: Peter Lewis (Churchwarden) 024 7654 3804 or 07796196435 Click to Email
History of the Bells

Set just off the Coventry to Southam road, this is a very pretty village with a nicely kept church, near to a good pub!

For many year the bells here were an unringable three. They were hung in an oak frame, with all bells swinging north-south, that predated the rebuilding of the tower in 1835-7. The fittings probably dated from this time. This remained the situation here until the early 1990s when the ring was augmented in stages to the highly satisfactory ring of 6 in an 8 bell frame, made locally to designs by Whitechapel, that they are today. The previous second of three was cast at the same time and by the same founder as the treble. This was the same year as when Smith cast a ring of 5 for nearby Brinklow.  The fourth has had its canons removed and both old bells have been turned.

The weights of the bells as received at Whitechapel were:- 3-3-15, 4-0-16 and 7-0-23.

The bells are ringing again after recent tower problems caused by rusting metal clamps that hold the stone facing onto the brick tower.

Park by the church wall and entry is via the west door of the tower.

Details of the Bells
1 Whitechapel, London 1993 2-2-19 22.50" 1658.0Hz (G#-3c)
2 Whitechapel, London 1993 2-2-25 23.50" 1480.5Hz (F#+1c)
3 Whitechapel, London 1992 3-1-14 25.25" 1321.0Hz (E+3c)
4 Joseph Smith, Edgbaston 1705 3-2-23 26.50" 1243.0Hz (D#-2c)
5 Whitechapel, London 1993 5-0-17 29.50" 1112.0Hz (C#+5c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1620 7-0-14 33.25" 991.5Hz (B+7c)

 

 

Studley, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Studley Bells: 11-1-9 in G
Grid Reference: 150/081637
Postcode: B80 7AB
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm 
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:15am-10.00am
Recommended Pub: The Little Lark, 108 Alcester Road, Studley, Warwickshire, B80 7NP. Tel: 01527 853105 - this is the "after practice" pub.
The Victoria Works, 32 Redditch Road, Studley, Warwickshire, B80 7AU. Tel: 0121 445 4411
Contact: Linda Gatehouse, 53 Clarendon Street, Bloxwich, Walsall, WS3 2HT. Tel: 07713140744 Click to Email
History of the Bells 

This church is right on the western edge of the Diocese. It is set just outside the main part of the town and can be missed by the unwary traveller. Look for the signpost (the bottom one of 3) pointing east near the north of the village.

A complete ring of 5 by Matthew Bagley, the bells were rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame and fittings for six by Taylors in 1957. The listed back 5 bells retain their canons and have been quarter turned, while the others were cast with flat tops. The previous frame - most unusually - had five parallel pits (treble to tenor in a row from south to north) which explains the ropes hanging in a straight line. The narrow gallery behind the organ from which the bells were rung, lower down the tower than the present ringing room only dates from 1888, having been put up when the old west gallery was removed.

The bells here were augmented to 8 in 1999 and first rung as an octave for the new Millennium.

Ask to see where the bells used to be rung from - you will easily spot that the original five used to hang in a straight line!

Being on the edge of the Coventry Guild and the Worcester & Districts Association this tower has links with both. Here is a link to the W & D entry for Studley

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughborough 1998 4-0-07 25.00" 1570.0Hz (G+2c)
2 John Taylor, Bellfounders Ltd, Loughborough 1998 4-1-11 26.00" 1481.0Hz (F#+1c)
3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1957 4-0-20 26.875" 1323.0Hz (E+6c)
4 Matthew Bagley I, Evesham 1688 5-1-22 30.25" 1178.0Hz (D+5c)
5 Matthew Bagley I, Evesham 1688 5-3-11 31.625" 1050.0Hz (C+6c)
6 Matthew Bagley I, Evesham 1688 6-2-10 33.00" 991.0Hz (B+6c)
7 Matthew Bagley I, Evesham 1688 8-0-02 35.75" 883.0Hz (A+6c)
8 Matthew Bagley I, Evesham 1688 11-1-09 39.75" 786.0Hz (G+4c)

 

 

Sutton-under-Brailes, St Thomas á Becket, Warwickshire

Sutton-under-Brailes Bells: 5; 8-3-22 in Ab (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/299374
Postcode: OX15 5BH
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: By arrangement
Service Ringing: 9:00am-9.30am (3rd)
Recommended Pub: The George Inn, High Street, Lower Brailes, OX15 5HN Tel: 01608 685788
Contact: Jean Bryant, The Thatched Cottage, 9 The Green, Sutton-under-Brailes, Banbury, OX15 5BG
History of the Bells

A very pretty South Warwickshire Village. The highly decorated bells, a "listed" complete ring by William and Robert Cor of Aldourne, were retuned at Whitechapel and rehung by Whites of Appleton in the existing frame in 1983. They are strange bells, decorated with curious ornaments. The oak frame is dated 1846 and was made by John Davis, a local carpenter. He was paid £55/8/6 for "New roofing the tower and new frames for the bells". The bells are very long waisted in shape, having high crowns and curious bulging lips. They retain their canons and are listed bells. They had been chip tuned prior to the 1983 rehang.

The tower is on the side, rather than the end of the nave, i.e. on the South-East side, and the bells are rung from the porch - leaving the doors open on a nice sunny day is ideal.

The nominals of the bells have recently become available and the ring is just nearer to A than the previously quoted Ab.

There is limited parking on the grass verge just past the church. The village was transferred to Warwickshire from Gloucestershire in 1844.

Details of the Bells
1 William & Robert Cor, Aldbourne 1701 5-0-04 27.75" 1296.0Hz (E-30c)
2 William & Robert Cor, Aldbourne 1701 5-0-12 27.75" 1145.5Hz (D-44c)
3 William & Robert Cor, Aldbourne 1701 5-3-12 31.00" 1082.5Hz C#-41c)
4 William & Robert Cor, Aldbourne 1701 6-1-12 32.75" 962.5Hz (B-45c)
5 William & Robert Cor, Aldbourne 1701 8-3-22 36.75" 856.0Hz (A-48c)

 

 

Tidmington, Unknown, Warwickshire

Tidmington Bells: 3: 6-0-22 in C (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/261385
Postcode: CV36 5LR
District: Warwick
Recording:
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: 1st Sunday of the month for 11.15am service
Recommended Pub: There is no pub in the village.  This is nearby:
The Black Horse, Station Road, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire CV36 4BT. Tel: 01608 238489
Contact: Cameron Townsend Tel: 01608 685617
History of the Bells

Until 1931 this village was in Worcestershire. It had become part of the Diocese of Coventry on its formation in 1918; formerly being in the Worcester Diocese. The church is of late C12 origin, with the tower being added in C13. Though there is still some late C16 work in the chancel, it was largely rebuilt in 1874/5.

The bells were rehung in a new frame of deal (or pitch pine) by Henry Bond of Burford 1901, at a cost of £39/15/-, at the same time he rehung the bells at Shipston on Stour. The sanctus bell hangs between two beams in the roof of the tower.

The West tower consists of 3 stages. The ground floor is the ringing room and is also open to the rest of the church. The ropes fall in nearly a straight line along the south wall of the tower and look to be in good condition. frame are immediately above. 

The bellframe is wooden and looks to be in good solid condition. The treble in the south of the tower swings east to west and the rope falls to the west side of the wheel, which is on the north side of the pit. In the North of the tower the 2nd and Tenor both swing north to south, the 2nd in the west and the tenor in the east. Both ropes fall on the south side of the wheels.

The original canons have been removed from all the 3 bells and holes drilled through to secure them to the headstocks probably when they were rehung. The treble has been one-eighth turned and the other two one-quarter turned.

A recent inspection by Taylors has noted that the woodworm is too severe in the wheels for the bells to be safely run full circle. 

The bells were taken out of the tower to Loughbrough in 2012 as access was needed to work on the tower roof. They were rehung in the tower on new fittings in November 2013.

Details of the Bells
1 Robert Atton 1619 26.50" 4-0-06 1257.0Hz (D#+17c)
2 Reading Foundry c.1530 30.00" 5-1-09 1148.0Hz (D-40c)
3 Bartholomew Atton c.1590 31.00" 6-0-22 1061.0Hz (C+24c)

 

 

Tredington, St Gregory, Warwickshire

Tredington Bells: 6; 16-1-20 in Eb (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/259435
Postcode: CV36 4NQ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Thursday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: By arrangement
Recommended Pub: The White Lion, Stratford Road, Tredington, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire. CV36 4NS Tel: 01608 662 067
Contact: Mrs S Taylor, The Counting House, 27 Hawthorn Way, Shipston-on-Stour, CV36 4FD Click to Email
History of the Bells

A magnificent landmark at the junction of the A429 and the old A34, (now renumbered as A3400). Its spire, 210 feet tall, can be seen for some distance.

The treble was cast by Matthew Bagley at Chacombe shortly before he moved to Evesham. It is not common to find Purdue bells in Warwickshire. A nice ground floor six that ring well. They were rehung, but not retuned with the exception of the second, by Gillett & Johnston in 1946 in a new cast iron lowside frame and new fittings. The tenor's note equates to D+34c and therefore the bells are in D and not Eb as is normally stated. The fourth is a little flat for the ring, which gets sharper in relation to the tenor as you go round to the treble. The back four bells are "listed" and the third is a "maiden" bell.

The village was transferred to Warwickshire from Worcestershire in 1931. Park in front of the church and enter via the north door.

Details of the Bells
1 Matthew Bagley I, Chacombe 1683 7-2-14 33.75" 1035.5Hz (B+82c)
2 George Mears, London 1858 8-2-04 35.75" 930.0Hz (A+96c)
3 George Purdue, Taunton 1622 9-3-16 38.50" 802.0Hz (G+39c)
4 George Purdue, Taunton 1622 10-1-00 39.50" 738.0Hz (F#-3c)
5 Robert Atton, Buckingham 1624 12-2-10 42.875" 670.5Hz (E+29c)
6 George Purdue, Taunton 1622 16-1-20 47.50" 599.0Hz (D+34c)

 

 

Tysoe, The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Warwickshire

Tysoe Bells: 6; 12-0-18 in F
Grid Reference: 151/341444
Postcode: CV35 0SH
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Practice Night: Wednesday 8.00pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: By Arrangement
Recommended Pub: The Peacock, Main Street, Tysoe, Warwickshire, CV35 0SE. Tel: 01295 680338
Contact: David Bell, Badgers Farmhouse, Lower Tysoe, CV35 0BY Tel: 01295 688466 Click to Email
History of the Bells

Set in the middle of the village of Middle Tysoe, this is a nice church upon which some considerable sum of money has recently been spent restoring the stonework.

Richard Sanders installed a ring of six here in 1719, the fourth and fifth being subsequently recast. The lowside frame and fittings are by Taylors, 1912, at which time the parish had attempted to raise money (in 1910) for a completely new ring of eight, tenor 29 cwt, but when the funds proved insufficient they rehung the existing bells instead. The canons have been removed from all the bells and all, bar the Rudhall bell, are listed. The notes are all, bar the treble, just above half way between two semitones. The treble is a little flatter than the rest of the ring.

The bells until the mid 1990s were rung from the ground floor, but now are rung from the first floor, up an internal wooden staircase. The 5th is the last known bell of the Bagley dynasty. The 5 bells that were still on plain bearings were rehung on ball bearings in 2003.  All the ring bar the Rudhall bell are "listed".

There is a 15" diameter sanctus bell in the gable over the chancel arch. It was probably recast by Blews in 1886 from a bell dated 1715 and sounds the note B.

Details of the Bells
1 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1719 4-2-27 29.50" 1132.0Hz (D-64c)
2 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1719 5-2-18 31.875" 1030.0Hz (C-44c)
3 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1719 6-3-01 34.00" 907.0Hz (Bb-48c)
4 Abel Rudhall, Gloucester 1750 8-0-14 36.00" 857.0Hz (A-46c)
5 Matthew Bagley III, Chipping Norton 1782 9-1-27 38.50" 764.0Hz (G-45c)
6 Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove 1719 12-0-18 43.25" 679.0Hz (F-49c)

 

 

Ufton, St Michael, Warwickshire

Ufton Bells: 3; 5cwt in D - UNRINGABLE
Grid Reference: 151/378621
Postcode: CV33 9PJ
District: Warwick
Peals: None
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Recommended Pub: The White Hart, White Hart Lane, Ufton, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV33 9PJ. Tel: 01926 612976
Contact: Churchwarden Tel 01926 613303
History of the Bells

These bells are unringable. One corner of frame being was unsupported where a foundation beam was chopped away for boiler flue, though this has been remedied recently with an R.S.J. Fittings are by Barwell 1880s when they strengthened the frame and rehung the bells.  A recent survey indicated that the frame has some movement but the gudgeons on the treble, and possibly other bells, require new bolts - the treble has a loose gudgeon. The frame generally requires tightening/strengthening and gudgeons etc before ringing. They are chimed regularly for service.

Details of the Bells
1 Matthew Bagley III, Chacombe 1779 3½cwt 24.25" 1452.0Hz (F#-33c)
2 Matthew Bagley III, Chacombe 1779 4cwt 27.00" 1303.0Hz (E-20c)
3 Matthew Bagley III, Chacombe 1779 5cwt 28.50" 1151.5Hz (D-34c)

 

 

Ullenhall, St Mary the Virgin, Warwickshire

Ullenhall Bells: 8; 3-0-25 in Eb - Anticlockwise.
Grid Reference: 150/121672
Postcode: B95 5PG
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: None
Service Ringing: None
Contact: Jayne Mackay 6 Aspley Heath Lane, Tanworth-in-Arden, Solihull B94 5HU  Click to Email
History of the Bells

A small ring of bells in a very small tower! The bells were cast for the new church in the village which was builtin 1874-5, the architect being John Paul Seddon of London. It was built in memory of William and Mary Newton of Barrells Part, at the expense of their sons and daughters. This donation included the ring of bells. Note that the tower is so small that the louvres have to be "bowed" in order that there is enough room for these bells to swing. They were installed under the supervision of William Martin who was responsible for the erection of the church. James E Hawkins was killed whilst helping to install the bells, falling some 38 feet down the scaffolding.

The frame is ingenious. It is a "double decker" Maltese Cross in shape, with the bells in pairs at the end of the arms, odd bells over even bells. There is a "hole" in the middle of the frame directly above the trapdoor to allow for access.

Somewhat ironically, the one word inscriptions on bells 7-1 make up the phrase: "Come let us make a joyful noise". the tenor is inscribed "CAST BY JOHN WARNER AND SONS LONDON 1874" and on its waist

EN (shield) MRN

In the shield are three battle-axes, the arms of the Newton family, of Barrells. It is lozenge shaped to indicate female ownership of the property. The initials are of Elizabeth and Mary Rose Newton, the donors.

They are loud inside, (ensure that the traps are in place as the clock winder sometimes leaves them out). They handle reasonably well for their weight but the front two or three are very tricky the inexperienced may find them a little too light and anticlockwise! The ladder in the middle of the rope circle will need moving more to the vertical in order to ring the two trebles. Don't try to ring them too fast, try about 3 hours peal speed. Note the "Acme" brand mangle via which all 8 bells can be chimed.

The church is signposted to the west off the road through the village.  Park in front of the church and enter via the door round the back of the tower, i.e. at the base of the tower on the right of the photograph.

Details of the Bells
1 John Warner, London 1874 1¼cwt 17.50" 2467.6Hz (Ec-15c)
2 John Warner, London 1874 1½cwt 17.625" 2193.8Hz (D-81c)
3 John Warner, London 1874 1¾cwt 19.00" 1822.8Hz (C-89c)
4 John Warner, London 1874 2cwt 20.00" 1804.0Hz (Bb+57c)
5 John Warner, London 1874 2¼cwt 21.00" 1624.0Hz (Ab-39c)
6 John Warner, London 1874 2½cwt 21.625" 1492.2Hz (G+86c)
7 John Warner, London 1874 2¾cwt 23.75" 1351.8Hz (F-57c)
8 John Warner, London 1874 3-0-25 25.00" 1219.6Hz (Eb-35c)