Tidmington, Unknown, Warwickshire
|Bells:||3: 6-0-22 in C (GF)|
|Service Ringing:||1st Sunday of the month for 11.15am service|
|Recommended Pub:||There is no pub in the village. This is nearby: |
The Black Horse, Station Road, Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire CV36 4BT. Tel: 01608 238489
|Contact:||Cameron Townsend Tel: 01608 685617|
History of the Bells
Until 1931 this village was in Worcestershire. It had become part of the Diocese of Coventry on its formation in 1918; formerly being in the Worcester Diocese. The church is of late C12 origin, with the tower being added in C13. Though there is still some late C16 work in the chancel, it was largely rebuilt in 1874/5.
The bells were rehung in a new frame of deal (or pitch pine) by Henry Bond of Burford 1901, at a cost of £39/15/-, at the same time he rehung the bells at Shipston on Stour. The sanctus bell hangs between two beams in the roof of the tower.
The West tower consists of 3 stages. The ground floor is the ringing room and is also open to the rest of the church. The ropes fall in nearly a straight line along the south wall of the tower and look to be in good condition. frame are immediately above.
The bellframe is wooden and looks to be in good solid condition. The treble in the south of the tower swings east to west and the rope falls to the west side of the wheel, which is on the north side of the pit. In the North of the tower the 2nd and Tenor both swing north to south, the 2nd in the west and the tenor in the east. Both ropes fall on the south side of the wheels.
The original canons have been removed from all the 3 bells and holes drilled through to secure them to the headstocks probably when they were rehung. The treble has been one-eighth turned and the other two one-quarter turned.
A recent inspection by Taylors has noted that the woodworm is too severe in the wheels for the bells to be safely run full circle.
The bells were taken out of the tower to Loughbrough in 2012 as access was needed to work on the tower roof. They were rehung in the tower on new fittings in November 2013.
Details of the Bells