Stratford upon Avon, Holy Trinity, Warwickshire
|Bells:||10; 19-0-2 in E|
|Practice Night:||Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 9:45am-10:25am|
|Recommended Pub:||There are many pubs in the town. Those in the GBG 2014 are: |
The Bear at the Swan's Nest Hotel, Swan's Nest Lane, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7LT. Tel: 01789 265540
The New Bull's Head, 9 Bull Street, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6DT. Tel: 017989 268832
|Contact:||Jo Langford, 42 Amis Way, Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7JF. Tel: 01789 267093 Click to Email|
History of the Bells
A magnificent church with a central tower and spire near the river. Easy to see from a distance, but difficult to park near as the town gets busy with tourists. The most obvious connection is with William Shakespeare, whose remarkably simple gravestone is near to the high altar. During the day you enter through the main church door. When the church is closed you enter via a door in the side of the South Transept. The way up to the Ringing Chamber is in the centre of the church, in the North-West pier.
According to "Church Bells of Warwickshire by Tilley and Walters", in 1683 a new ring of 6, tenor c.14cwt, was cast by Matthew Bagley out of the pre-existing five bells. The tenor was recast by Richard Sanders in 1717 and the third by him in 1733. The treble was recast by Henry Bagley in 1742. There have eight here since 1887, the tenor weighing in at c.18cwt. Taylors recast the third and fourth bells and added two more to make the octave and provided a new frame and fittings. The inscriptions on these bells were all incised. There are photographs in the ringing chamber showing the old bells in their cast iron "A" frame of that date.
Taylors recast and augmented the ring in 1948, producing effectively a brand new installation. They hang in a in a single level cast iron lowside frame. They go and sound very nicely indeed. They are a classic Taylor ring of that period. Tenor frequency equates to E-18c. All bells were cast with flat tops.
The local bells website states:-
"The first record of bells in the tower is from 1502 when a legacy of 6/8d (£0.33) was left towards their restoration. We have no record of their number or weights. In October 1617 the churchwardens reported: "we were cited Worcester because the bells were oute of order (Stratford was then in the Worcester Diocese). In December of the same year £4 12d. [£4.05] was paid for re-casting. The next bell-related memorandum in the Vestry minute book is from 1650: It was agreed upon yt there shalbe a leavy made for the gathering of x.li. [£10] vizt. v.li. [£5] for the Towne, and v.li. [£5] for the parish to cast three new belles......"
The local ringers removed the Warner bell of 1881, (4-2-12 with a diameter of 28.125"), from the old cemetery chapel and hung it for electric chiming as a service/sacring bell in 1994. The canons have been removed from this bell.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||5-1-02||26.75"||1649.0Hz||(G#-13c)|
|2||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||5-1-10||27.50"||1468.0Hz||(F#-14c)|
|3||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||5-1-06||28.50"||1309.0Hz||(E-13c)|
|4||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||5-3-14||29.75"||1231.0Hz||(D#-19c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||6-3-08||31.50"||1099.0Hz||(C#-15c)|
|6||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||8-0-16||34.00"||979.0Hz||(B-15c)|
|7||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||10-0-23||37.00"||869.0Hz||(A-22c)|
|8||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||11-3-01||39.00"||820.0Hz||(G#-22c)|
|9||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||14-2-02||42.50"||733.0Hz||(F#-16c)|
|10||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1948||19-0-02||47.00"||652.5Hz||(E-18c)|