Southam, St James, Warwickshire

Southam Bells: 8; 15-1-25 in E (GF)
Grid Reference: 151/418617
Postcode: CV47 0HQ
District: Warwick
Peals: Felstead Database
Recording:
Practice Night: Tuesday 7:30pm-9:00pm
Service Ringing: Sunday 9:30am-10:00am, 6:00pm-6:30pm
Recommended Pub: The Black Dog, Market Hill, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 0HF. Tel: 01926 819066.  (No food)
The Bowling Green Coventry Street Southam Warwickshire CV47 0EP Tel: 01926 812575
Contacts: Mr Terence Hill 22 Warwick Road, Southam, CV47 0HN Click to Email
Mrs M Williams 6 Park Lane, Southam, CV47 0JA

History of the Bells

Set in the middle of a busy town, recently made quieter as it has been "by-passed", St James is just off the market place and has a spire. A nice church that is worth a look at prior to ringing. The bells are rung from the ground floor and go reasonably well.

Until 1863 there were five bells here, the existing three tenors and a treble of 1596 and second, it being a Watts of Leicester bell of 1613. The trebles were recast and a further treble added by Mears and Co and the frame was altered to take six bells.

The existing metal H-frame dates from 1913 when the bells were first rehung as a six in an eight bell frame (dedicated on 19 April 1913). The trebles were added soon afterwards and dedicated on 17 May 1913. This work was carried out by Taylors of Lougborough. A peal of minor in three methods was rung between these points of time and one of Stedman Triples on the day of the second dedication. The canons were removed from the bells and they were one eighth turned. Bells 1, 4, 6 & 7 hang in the upper frame and the others in the lower frame.

All were rehung on ball bearings by Mears & Stainbank, 1954. Minor work to improve the handling of the bells was carried out in 2002.

The tenor has been stated in some places as being in the key of F. It is actually just nearer E, being E+47c. The two trebles were cast with flat tops and the canons of the others have been removed.

There is some parking in the market place or try by the north wall of the churchyard. Enter via the north door.

Details of the Bells
1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-0-23 26.50" 1358.0Hz (E+51c)
2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1913 4-2-07 27.625" 1280.0Hz (D#+49c)
3 George Mears & Co, London 1863 4-3-15 30.125" 1136.0Hz (C#+42c)
4 George Mears & Co, London 1863 5-2-20 31.625" 1017.0Hz (B+50c)
5 George Mears & Co, London 1863 6-3-19 32.25" 904.0Hz (A+47c)
6 Hugh Watts II, Leicester 1615 8-1-15 36.875" 850.0Hz (G#+40c)
7 John Martin, Worcester 1650 9-3-14 39.50" 758.0Hz (F#+42c)
8 Henry Bagley I, Chacombe 1676 15-1-25 44.50" 677.5Hz (E+47c)