Sherbourne, All Saints, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6: 11-1-17 in F#|
|Practice Night:||Wednesday 7:30pm-9:00pm|
|Service Ringing:||Sunday 10:15am|
|Recommended Pub:||There is no pub in the village - Barford is very close, on the other side of the A429, having some good pubs.|
|Contacts:||Rev D C Jessett, The Rectory, Church Lane, Barford, Warwick CV35 8ES Tel: 01926 624238 (Requests for visits should be made via the vicar) |
John Wheeler, Holly Collage, 9, Ferry Lane, Alveston, Stratford-upon-Avon, CV37 7QX. Tel: 01789 293604 or 07979774687 Email the Ringers
History of the Bells
A magnificent church which is signposted off the A429, just south of the A46/M40 interchange roundabout. It is the fourth on this site, set in a rural setting. Park by the churchyard lych gate and enter via the main church door on the north side - the tower door is inside the church. Pause a while to look at the two colour marble columns, the ornate font and the many lovely carvings in wood and stone of birds, flowers and faces. There is a memorial to one of the "Dambusters" on the north wall.
The present fourth bell is large of the two bells that hung in the previous church. The smaller, weighing 4-2-19, was sold to George Mears & Co as part payment for five new bells to be added to the remaining bell. The work was commissioned by Miss L A Ryland. The bells were installed in the newly completed church in 1864.
The bells are in a two tier wooden frame, with bells 2 and 4 above. This frame was strengthened by Mears and Stainbank in 1897 by the insertion of iron tie bolts. The bells were rehung on ball bearings, again by Mears & Stainbank, 1928 and further overhauled in 1975 by Frank White after a fall of masonry which broke the fourth's wheel. All the bells retain their canons, the fourth, maiden bell, alone has been quarter turned.
Details of the Bells
|1||George Mears & Co, London||1863||4-1-25||27.00"|
|2||George Mears & Co, London||1863||4-3-26||28.50"|
|3||George Mears & Co, London||1863||5-2-13||30.50"|
|4||Hugh Watts II, Leicester||1632||6½cwt||33.00"|
|5||George Mears & Co, London||1863||8-0-26||36.00"|
|6||George Mears & Co, London||1863||11-1-17||40.00"|