Wootton Wawen, St Peter, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 10-2-6 in F#|
|Practice Night:||Monday 7:30pm-9:00pm|
|Recommended Pubs:||The Navigation, Stratford Road, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire, B95 6BZ. Tel: 01564 792676 |
The Bull's Head, Stratford Road, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire, B95 6BD Tel: 01564 795 803
|Contact:||Keith Davies, Highview, Alcester Road, Wootton Wawen, Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, B95 6BH|
History of the Bells
Though the number of bells at specific times here is a little difficult to quote with certainty, there were certainly six bells here by 1761. It is probable that Henry Bagley of Witney cast what became the third and fourth bells in 1741 and the treble in 1742, all have been subsequently recast. Three bells came from the Rudhall foundry, the old fifth in 1761, (recast by Francis Tyler who was in charge of the foundry until the coming of age of Thomas Rudhall between the death of Abel Rudhall in 1760 and 1766), the fourth in 1784 and the third in 1803. The note of the tenor is F, and not F# as has been quoted until recently. Its pitch equates to F+37c.
The parish here actually effectively refused the offer of a completely new Taylor six in 1907, there being not enough of a majority on the PCC to satisfy the donor. Instead, the old bells were rehung with new fittings in 1911 by Thomas Bond of Burford who repaired the cracked fifth (like the treble which had been similarly repaired) with iron bands fixed across the cracks. (See Chris Pickford's article in Ringing World, 14th September 1973 p.478). The bells go well, the frame and fittings being by Taylors, 1955, at which time the repaired bells were recast and the others retuned and eighth turned. This cost £1120 Recently the 2nd bell was found to be cracked and it was welded by Soundweld in 2005.
Alphabetically, this the last church with a ringable ring of bells in the County of Warwickshire, but it not the least in any way! A very nice church that is worth viewing before ascending the tower. There is an exhibition in the church that shows its development from Saxon times. The tower is sort of central to the church and entry to the ringing room is gained by going round the back of the church, (by the bottom of the tower in the photograph, which was taken from the opposite side of the church to the main road), and then up a very old, but safe, wooden ladder. There is a church car park in front of the church.
Details of the Bells
|1||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1955||4-1-00||27.375"||1198.0Hz||(D+34c)|
|2||Francis Watts Leicester||1591||5-0-05||30.375"||1066.0Hz||(C+32c)|
|3||John Rudhall. Gloucester||1803||5-2-04||32.25"||953.0Hz||(Bb+38c)|
|4||Charles & John Rudhall, Gloucester||1784||6-2-00||34.50"||899.0Hz||(A+37c)|
|5||John Taylor & Co, Loughborough||1955||9-1-20||37.50"||802.0Hz||(G+39c)|
|6||Richard Sanders, Bromsgrove||1719||10-2-06||41.50"||713.5Hz||(F+37c)|