Willoughby, St Nicholas, Warwickshire
|Bells:||6; 14-2-0 in F (GF)|
|Recommended Pub:||The Rose Inn, Main Street, Willoughby, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 8BH. Tel: 01788 891180|
|Contact:||Jackie Gibbard (Church Warden). Tel: 01788 891191|
History of the Bells
This is the last tower in the Diocese before Northamptonshire brings in the Peterborough Diocese. Set in a pleasant rural setting the bells do take a little bit of ringing, but are by no means unringable.
Originally a complete Smith ring of six, cast out of the four bells then in the tower. The tenor was recast at Whitechapel in 1781 and is one of the few bells cast at the time when William Chapman was the sole head of the business. The second, third and fourth bells are much better sounding than the treble and fifth, even though all are untuned. The current frame was installed in 1820 by a Mr Ward at a cost of over £100. It was strengthened in 1926 when the bells were rehung by Mears & Stainbank, probably reusing the old headstocks.
All the bells retain their canons, have been quarter turned and the Smith bells are "listed".
Some relatively minor work to items such as clappers, pullies and flapper boards was carried out by Taylors in September 2013 and this has improved the go of the bells noticeably. A new band of ringers has recently been formed and the bells are being rung again. A rope guide was installed by Taylors in November 2016 to make the bells easier to handle.
Park in the road outside and enter by the north door.
Details of the Bells
|1||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1713||5cwt||30.325"||1179.0Hz||(D+6c)|
|2||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1713||5½cwt||31.50"||1057.0Hz||(C+17c)|
|3||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1713||6½cwt||33.25"||946.0Hz||(Bb-21c)|
|4||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1713||7cwt||34.25"||899.0Hz||(A+37c)|
|5||Joseph Smith, Edgbaston||1713||10cwt||38.00"||792.0Hz||(G+18c)|
|6||William Chapman, London||1781||14½cwt||43.50"||707.0Hz||(F+21c)|