Whatcote, St Peter, Warwickshire
|Bells:||3; 6cwt in C|
|Recommended Pub:||The Royal Oak, Rectory Lane, Whatcote, Warwickshire, CV35 5EF. Tel: 01295 680319|
|Contact:||Rev Canon N J Morgan, The Vicarage, Lower Brailes, Banbury, OX15 5HT |
Phil Wreford Churchwarden Tel 01295 680294
History Of The Bells
The treble bell is a recast of Henry Bagley bell of 1652 and the tenor a recast of Matthew Bagley bell of 1766. The bells hang in a 16th century frame for three; fittings are 1878 by Blews. Formerly a ring of four (two in the centre pit). One bell is rumoured to have gone to Ildicote, (25" Henry Bagley, 1636), though the fact that it has the churchwardens' names for Idlicote as part of the inscription tends to discount this. The bells all retain their canons and the second alone has been quarter turned.
The bells were tightened and successfully rung, with due permissions, on 10/02/01 by John Greenhough and Matt Smith. They have been rung again since, by the 3 & 4 Bell Society and quarter pealed in 2001. Until recently these bells were rung from the ground floor
The church is near the village centre - down Church Lane.
Details of the Bells
|1||William Blews, Birmingham||1878||3¾cwt||25.00"||1380.0Hz||(F-21c)|
|2||John Clark, Evesham||1711||4½cwt||27.25"||1215.5Hz||(Eb-41c)|
|3||Henry Bond, Burford||1897||6cwt||31.25"||1065.0Hz||(C+30c)|